Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+3
Jade Hawk
Faith Wynters
Zalgo the Imminent
7 posters

The Underground

Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

The Underground - Page 4 Empty The Underground

Post by Murdoch Thu May 15, 2014 6:27 am

First topic message reminder :

There is a world beneath the human one, a world where creatures from myth and legend still stalk the streets and live their lives quietly in an attempt to survive in the humans ignorance. Every city has its secret culture and society of these creatures, though very few in the human world know of its existence. The government knows, of course, but largely allows these creatures to live in peace so long as they do not threaten the stability of the human world. The Underground, as it is called, is far from a safe place for these beings, however; various factions bicker and squabble for control, and every Zone has its own unique dangers and factions. However, it is a safer place than the human world for some, since many of the creatures are so monstrous that they would be found out in an instant in the human world, so must stay below in The Underground for their own safety. Glamours to make these creatures look human are available...but at a price, and many can't afford it, as The Undergrounds economy is heavily weighted towards the Upper Classes. The poor get poorer and the rich get richer, as they say.

You are one of these creatures, trying to survive in this New World of secrecy and hidden conflict. Are you a soldier for a local faction, or the leader of a Noble House? Are you a humble shopkeeper, or a master assassin? A street urchin who grew from childhood to slip in and out of shadows to survive, or an out of towner with no idea how the politics and society of this new area works? The decision is yours....but beware. Around every corner lies a new danger, a new threat, and life in The Underground is always a risk. There are even rumours of a new faction rising...a terrorist cell, determined to take back the world from the Humans. They could change everything, if the rumours are true...and not necessarily for the better...

Welcome to The Underground, adventurer.
    Have a pleasant stay.

The Zones
    Spoiler:

Playable Species
    Spoiler:

Factions:
    Spoiler:

Glamours:
    Spoiler:

So! That's the write up including everything we discussed. If I missed something, please let me know. Post the links to your bios below, and I will include a brief one-line summary of your character along with the link up here.

Character List/Players:
    - Zalgo Driim, Male Warlock, played by Zalgo The Imminent.
    - Tristan Astereus, Male Ordo Dracul, played by Murdoch.
    - Genevieve Snyder, Female Half-WereTiger, Half-Shaman., played by Faith Wynters.
    - Kiaki Matsuoka, Female Aniwolf, played by Jade Hawk.
    - Monique Terren, Female Magi, played by Burn It.
    - Mason Walker, Male UPD Werewolf, played by Mason_W.

Current Posting Order:

- Burn It,
    - Mason_W,
    - Murdoch,
    - Jade Hawk,
    - Faith Wynters
    - Zalgo

Last edited by Murdoch on Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 15 times in total
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

The Underground - Page 4 Empty Re: The Underground

Post by Murdoch Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:49 pm

OOC: Right, quick post from me to get this thing moving. As for Marcus, I would rather not take control of him, since it's your character, Burn It, and I don't know what he's like so don't want to make him say anything he wouldn't actually say.

IC:

If there's one thing he didn't expect to find down here in the Goblin Market - murder or no murder - it's Monique's older brother, Marcus. As far as Tristan was aware, Marcus wasn't even in the state any more, possibly not even the country, though if there's one thing Marcus has always been good at, it's been disappearing and reappearing without warning. No spy can ever seem to predict where Marcus will be next, and that is a skill that Tristan appreciates; it took him a century to learn that art, and for a mere human to be able to do it, and one as young as Marcus? It truly is remarkable, and something that Tristan respects immensely. Of course, Tristan respects Marcus overall. Calm, polite, intelligent and cunning, he is everything he is supposed to be for his own personal aims. Monique would never admit it, but she looks up to Marcus and owes him a lot. Her own brand of cunning and her own strength derives largely from Marcus himself, and though he knows they bicker quite a lot - as siblings are wont to do - that is more down to Monique's temper than anything else, and her distaste for being lectured. It is not a bad thing per say - it makes her very difficult to bullshit, if you'll pardon the language - but it does make her somewhat prickly at times.

He turns ever so slightly and offers Marcus a hand, which is promptly taken in a quick, sharp shake. Tristan and Marcus are old colleagues and, if they were the types to have friends, friends. They have been allies for a very long time...an arrangement that has benefited both of them very much over the years. He gives Marcus a nod, a slightly wry half-grin, then turns back to face the crime scene. Already he can see police officers from the UPD starting to make their rounds of the crowd, seeing if anybody has any idea what happened. One in particular - a slightly more heavily armoured man, probably from the Emergency Response Team judging by the difference in his uniform - is making his way towards them directly. Somebody probably pointed him out. It's the problem with being a Vampire Head; people recognise you, and tend to assume that you know things. That can be a curse as well as a blessing, in some situations. "Because," he says quietly, cautious of being overheard in the crowd, "life in the office can get so very dreary at times. You know that better than most, I think. Besides. An event of this magnitude - a murder, in The Goblin Market? - requires my direct attention, would you not agree?"

Unfortunately, Marcus doesn't get the chance to respond right away; the police officer is on them pretty much immediately. Tristan sketches a small bow, just a slight bend of his waist, and straightens. "Good afternoon, officer Mason." Mason....ah, his spies and informants in the force told him about him. Werewolf, Special Response Squad, exemplary record. Not crooked, so far as he can tell. "You may ask me all the questions you desire, but I am afraid I can save you some time; I do not know the victim, nor who killed him or why. All I can say for certain is that the man was homeless, and that besides a few small-time drug peddlers, he was not attached to anything particularly nefarious. My information could, however, be incomplete. He is, unfortunately, largely unknown to me. I wish I could be of more assistance." Despite the stereotype, he really does wish that. A murder is never pleasant, and not one out in the middle of the street...besides, he wants to know the who's and the why's of the murder pretty damn quickly. An unknown, unpredictable killer on the loose? That is never a good thing. Never a good thing at all.

Last edited by Murdoch on Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:25 pm

The crowd was still surrounding whatever was in the street. Authoritative figures were amongst the onlookers, and everyone appeared to be looking down. Was something on the ground, or was it someone? My first thought was some kind of street fight, but with everyone muttering to each other, there was very little angry shouting and the police didn't seem to be attempting to stop any form or fight or struggle. What was it that had captured everyone's interests then?

Being of such a small size in comparison to all the people surrounding the area was useful in times like these. For a wolf, I am small in size. Like a big dog I suppose. It's not my fault, it runs in the family pack. Even my brother who was always larger than me was a small pup. It had been so long since I'd seen him, perhaps he wasn't so small anymore; I wouldn't know. Crouching low to the ground, I make my way between legs and under the distracted views of the people around me. Whatever people were staring at was probably not a pretty sight, but I was curious and nosy and wanted to see what was up, even though I'd probably regret it later.

Regret hit my stomach instantly as i came closer to the centre of the group. It was a body. A dead body of a man who looked to have been mauled so severely there was little of him left untouched. Blood stained the road and the scene was grotesque. Rips and bites covered him.
    "Oh my..." I whispered to myself. His leg was missing!
    After coming to my senses, i looked more carefully at the details of the scene. Rips and bite marks. claws? They were rough-looking versus being cut my some form of blade. perhaps it was due to my own personal hatred of them, but my first thought was werewolves. But what would werewolves have against a man like this? I could understand their dislike of us wolves but not this. Then again, i didn't recognize the man and didn't know his history with them. Whatever he did, it must have really made them mad.

On the other hand, it might not have been a werewolf. Perhaps this really was the remains of a terrible fight gone wrong. But judging by the amount of horror in front of us all, this was no mistake. if this was an accident, then the attacker would have stopped long before implementing this much damage to another person. However, with it probably being a purposeful act, why here? Why the Goblin Market? Why somewhere where a crowd could, and has, easily gathered. Perhaps as a disguise? I doubted they were still around. Someone who has done this is probably dripping in his mans blood and not easy to hide. I stood and observed the body more, hoping no one was going to send me away from the crowd. The police and investigators probably knew more about the situation than I did, and I was by no means a professional at assessing crimes.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:07 pm

The smell was starting to get to me. In most cases, I wouldn’t have to say this, but in this instance, the smell of blood wafted throughout the entire area. I ended up sticking my nose in the paper sack of pecans to drown out the smell; I wasn’t sure I had ever seen so much blood in my life. You could see the grimace on many faces from the sight that I could hardly see from where others had crowded around to get a better look. The smell and sight was enough to cause many people to walk away. I was sure that many were walking away in attempts to get away from the police officers that were now coming out of what seemed like every alleyway to investigate.

I pulled the sack away from my nose, turned, and pushed myself out of the crowd. I had lost interest in the death and I had a growing fear that someone would use the time to pickpocket a few of the unknowing that seemed to be decreasing in numbers the longer I was there. I didn’t want to leave the area; part of me was curious the turn out of this even, and another part of me—the were part of me—knew I should stay around to avoid suspicion. Whatever kind of animal or being it was that did this surely would be wanted—and I didn’t want to be mistaken for the killer—I had many more things to do today than sit in an interrogation room.

For that reason entirely, I found a bench a little ways away from the crowd of people and I sat. Watching the ground for a while I picked up another pecan, popped it in my mouth, and tried to drift away from what was happening. The smell of blood was still dominant in the air, and I was just glad that it wasn’t as strong as it had been before. For quite some time I sat thinking on the bench until my eyes began to drift up from the ground to watch the beings that were now spread out in the area. Most of them seemed pretty normal, but there were few that caught my eye. There seemed to be an Animoid pushing through the crowd out of curiosity—a very special sight for me—along with a few other creatures that the officers in uniform had decided they were important enough to talk to and find out their stories. I watched them all from my place on the bench, not particularly wanting to talk to anyone myself. I would have preferred to remain alone, and that’s what I would try to do for as long as possible.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:56 pm

Zalgo watched as people started leaving. A good choice on their part, considering the cops had started showing up. Zalgo wasn't exactly one for good choices, though, so he stayed back. A few others stayed as well, whether to answer any questions from the police, watch the police do their work, or because they're sadistic people who get their rocks off by watching dead people decompose.

"Hey, Z, guess who?"

It was at that moment Zalgo realized he couldn't see and there was something covering his eyes. The voice was female, the hands were soft, and he was sure he smelled something. Rosemary, maybe? Only one person he knew of used that scent. He reached into his pocket to grab his notepad, but one of the hands covering his eyes grabbed his wrist to stop him. "C'mon, Z, use your words. You haven't spoken in 6 months, man. It's kinda bummin' the rest of the band out," The voice said to him pleadingly.

Zalgo sighed, moving his free hand to write in the air with his finger. Golden letters appeared in front of him, reading C'mon, Judith Marie. I can't do it except through our music, and you know that. He felt the hands remove themselves from him as Judith Marie stepped out from behind him and staring him in the face with a pouty face on. "Ugh, you just can't let her go, can you? C'mon, buddy, we gotta get you some help with that. I think Callum might know someo-" She stopped midsentence upon seeing the look Zalgo was giving her. "Uh, I mean, er... Hey, why's everyone here anyway?"

Zalgo pulled the notebook from his pocket along with a red pen and began writing. Murder. Some homeless dude, I think. Right over there. Judith Marie looked over at the body and gasped a little. "Oh, gross. And we're just standing here watching the cops get to work on it? Why?" Zalgo shrugged before writing down Dunno. Nothin' better to do, right? Plus, I only woke up, like, half an hour or so ago. "Oh, so that's why you weren't at morning practice." Judith Marie replied with a slightly annoyed tone. "I guess I can forgive you this time, since last night was Sal's birthday, but next time you miss morning practice, I'm gonna smack you with my bass." Oh, please, you don't wanna get that thing bloody. Zalgo scribbled down, looking smugly at her. She looked back at him and stuck her tongue out. "Well, I just came by to ask if we had a show tonight." Zalgo nodded at her. "Alright, I'll relay that to the guys, make sure they're ready. Nine o'clock, right?" Another nod.

"In that case, I'll be heading out. Gotta make sure Steve over at the Jaded Belladonna knows we're comin' and when to expect us. You have fun with your crime scene," Judith Marie said, waving to him before walking back behind him. Zalgo looked back to watch her leave, but when he looked back, she was gone.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am

OCC- You'll have to skip me guys, Im going on vacation until Monday so I wont be able to reply until late that day. So for now Marcus and Monique are roaming the Goblin Market looking for information, etc. Have fun guys!
    Mason_W
    Mason_W

Post by Mason_W Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:01 pm

ooc- sorry I took so long guys! I didn't realize it was my turn! Also, I kept my post a little short because I wasn't exactly sure what the plan is with the murder victim, so I didn't want to take it somewhere it wasn't suppose to go.

ic- As I walk towards the Ordo Dracul, Head of House, I push past people as little firmly. Not rudely or aggressively, but a bit of a push was required for someone of my size to get through a crowd this thick. Most people didn't notice or care to say anything, though that could just simply have been because they saw the uniform, the dead victim, or a combination of both. Regardless, I made my way to the Head of House fairly quickly. I smile after introducing myself, not wanting to seem like I was accusing him of something—to accuse a witness can reduce they help they could potentially be—but I keep the smile short in light of the recent situation. Before I can ask him anything, Tristan gets to the point, making it clear that either he know nothing, or what is does know isn't much. I stare at him for a second, analyzing his face. Now I was by no means a master detective. I've made my fair share of mistakes, like every other person, but I was fairly confident in truth seeing. When people lie, typically there is a physical response (their eyes twitch or they're fiddle their fingers). Tristan did none of that. He spoke confidently and coolly. I had no reason to doubt what he was telling me. I nod. "Okay, thank you for your help Mr. Astereus. If you find out anything else, please contact the Department immediately. We would like to keep the citizens of the Underground as safe as soon as possible." I extend a hand to shake, and as I do, I eyes focus on the man behind Tristan. There was something about him, something that I was missing, something that told me he knew something of what happened. Before I can finish the handshake and move to talk to that man, I hear Kya's voice in my hear. "Mason? Have you found anything?"

"Uh... no, I haven't." I respond, before slowly turning away from both the man and Tristan. "Not yet anyway. What about you guys, any luck?" The response back was not promising. "Someone has to know something about what has happened!" Joey speaks. "And we're just going to have to find out who," Addison finishes. The quick conversations happened quickly between the five of us; it usually helped us to think. As for myself, I was racking my brain of possible suspects. "Okay, let look at the facts. We have a head victim. His time of death was no more than an hour ago by the condition of the body. The murder was in the Goblin Market... no, that may not be true." I think to myself, before stopping in the crowd. "Guys, we've been going on the assumption that this murder has happened in the Market, and that may very well be true, but it also isn't the only possibility. Now whatever did this was obviously a very powerful creature or weapon of something, yet no one here saw anything. What if the murder took place not in the Market, but the body was simply dragged here so someone would notice it right before siesta." As I finish there is a pause over our communication. "That... could be a possibility. Something worth checking out at least." Adrian speaks. "Okay guys, split up. Cover open areas, pockets with higher crime rates, even check the Black Market," I say, adding the Black Market to keep suspicion away from any ties I have there. "I'll have to talk to Louie off the clock. See if he or someone knows anything at the Black Market," I think to myself, still in the sea of people by the murder victim. I become lost in my thoughts for a moment when Joey's voice is in my ear again. "What if this murder victim was a distraction...? And if it was, then for what?"
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:22 pm

OOC: I think you guys should skip me. I'm pretty busy for the next day or so, and I don't really have anything to post. I'll post on the next go round.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Marcus:
    Waited patiently in the shadows behind Tristian for him to be finished with the officer’s brief questioning. Not being around for many years has helped with being recognized by the general public, although not eliminated it entirely. So the time as just a normal civilian will be appreciated.
    “By the size of this crowd, I think everyone agrees with you. Watching them try to contain this is going to be a show all on it’s own.” Everyone wants a glimpse of the thing that everyone else is looking at, regardless of what it is. No one likes to be left out even for the stupidest or saddest of situations, what else would they spend their days talking about? What will always amaze is that even after witnessing the dead dismantled man on the ground, fewer and fewer people are shuttering away in disgust and more are still staring. Its fascinating to them; they might never get another chance to see such a death or talk to the police or be a part of something that will be so memorable. A death like this in the Market is not something one just forgets.

Monique:

The photos we originally saw did not do this scene justice. There was more blood… much more blood. This pain this poor man must have endured before he finally died, just thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach – and in this business you see some pretty foul things. I hate to admit it, but I did need to move away and gain some distance from it all. I’ve seen, there’s no need to see any longer. Across the block stood a tall building, which in the Market means it stands about only five stories. On the top floor of the building, in the most right hand apartment was an open window where I sat watching Marcus and Tristan still hovering and being bombarded with questions from the police. The owners of this apartment didn’t mind the intrusion after some calm persuasion – nice old couple really.

I think they’ve spent enough time down there, I want to meet up and see what we’re going to do about this homicidal creature that’s on the loose. I’d love to see what exactly did this in full form, to capture it. I don’t want whatever did this dead – so I'm not going to let the authorities get to it first. Looking down at the base of the building I see a puddle of stagnant water formed likely from the leaky pipes common around the Underground. It comes in handy with communicating to Marcus without people following or noticing.

Grabbing hold of the water, it flowed in a natural like stream through the crowd and around the feet of the people it passed so as to not draw attention. When it reached Marcus it swirled in a circle around his feet and finally inwards to soak his feet. Without even a reaction, he looked down at the water that was once again swirling in a circle around his feet. His look of frustration told me he understood what it meant and he looked down to see the water now flowing away from him in my direction.

Marcus:

"Subtly was never her strong suit.”
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:30 pm

Tristan watches the officer walk away with a certain pang of sympathy for the man; he has to deal with nonsense like this on an almost weekly basis, he would wager, and he really must get tired of viewing humanity and all of its offshoots at its worst. Murders, rapes, thefts, arsons, jaywalking...it must be a nightmare waking up in the morning wondering what fresh atrocity you'll be called out for today. And then you have to deal with the smart-asses like himself who know exactly what the police will ask, then you have to deal with the idiots who think they know the law better than the police, and then you have to apprehend suspects that are determined not to be caught...it's all a royal pain in the arse. At least Tristan has the choice of whether or not to send his lackies out to do his dirty work if it doesn't appeal to him. Of course, there is the fact that in Tristans occupation, assassination and betrayal is a daily hazard that could very well end his life and reign in a very painful, very permanent manner, so there is that. Either way...it mustn't be pleasant very often, being a police officer, let alone a Special Response Squad.

He glances back at Marcus, and simply lets out a short, humourless snort. Yes, he is right of course...everybody is gathering around to see the train wreck, the spectacle laid out in front of them. Nobody is particularly bothered about the murder...they just want to see tomorrows newspaper headlines in the flesh. They want to be a part of something bigger for just five minutes of their lives...mortals are so pathetic sometimes. So determined to feel important....and so morbid as well. It's a wonder how much interest these creatures can get from watching their kin die in horrible ways. Everything from real wars to videogames and fiction, there is always some kind of fascination with death and violence. Maybe he is getting cynical in his old age, but if you are surrounded by death and violence and espionage as much as he is...you wouldn't be so eager to escape into a world with it in. It gets tiring, after a while. Marcus mutters something behind him about her not being subtle, and it takes a moment for Tristan to note what he means. He frowns briefly, then smooths the expression; he must be talking about Monique. Who else would he really be commenting on?

He really is inclined to agree. He isn't sure why Marcus brought it up, but he is not about to just drop the subject because he is unsure of something. Marcus probably already knows about the episode in the office - hell, the entire Underground probably knows by now, how could Marcus not? He would wager that it may well be why Marcus is back in town in the first place. Marcus doesn't do casual social calls - and so there is no reason to play coy, even if he wanted to. He snorts a little, and nods. "You could say that," he muses casually, "Just as you could suggest that a bulldozer lacks tact. The episode this morning was a perfect example of just how rash she can be." His face twists into a momentary look of distaste before he can stop himself. It really was a nasty business this morning...he has no choice but to live with it, but that doesn't mean he has to like it. "Hopefully there will not be any similar episodes any time soon."

He doesn't bother to turn around; Marcus will reply if he wants to, or make his excuses if he desires to leave. They are not the kind that require eye contact to speak. They both know that no matter what, the other one will always be listening keenly. Of a kind, he and Marcus are...and he is one of the few people Tristan actually respects. Monique has her own brand of leadership that is in some situations undeniably effective, but Marcus? Marcus is on a whole different level. Monique would do well to grow out of the hotheaded tantrums that typify human teenagers and learn from his example...she has potential, but only if she learns to keep her emotions in check. Oh, he likes her well enough and he doesn't doubt she'll grow out of it eventually...but eventually might be too late if she keeps pulling stunts like this morning. But only time will tell, he supposes....only time will tell.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:08 am