Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

3 posters

Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check

Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check Empty Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check

Post by Brandon Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:48 am

Could be a group or 1 -on- 1

I think it's time to reveal the truth in regards to the origins of humanity. It's true, we originated on the planet now known as Mars. Originally, this was a lush planet with landscapes greatly similar to those of Earth. However, much like our current endeavors...we progressively sprawled out across the world and turned it into a primarily industrial planet devoid of nature and sustained through our sheer technological ingenuity. Much of our technology was derived through internal conflict, devastating wars that make those here on Earth pale in comparison. In the quest to perfect better weapons, the technological breakthroughs held alternative uses that permitted us to transcend our planet and delve beyond the stars.

Being a warrior race, we immediately sought out advanced races to dominant so that we could further our own technological might by incorporating their own advancements into our own. At the time, we believed that establishing colonies upon other worlds wouldn't be a prudent idea when we, ourselves, could bombard an entire planet into extinction...so the majority of our forces remained in specially constructed ships capable of sustaining large military forces while we ensured Mars was under constant guard as the main focus of our people.

Our aggressive tendencies would prove to be our downfall when we came up against a vastly superior race, their weapons of a like we'd never before seen. Immediately, we found ourselves struggling...and soon pushed back to Mars itself. This relatively peaceful race had watched our march across the cosmos and decided it would be best to ensure that we couldn't continue with the wanton destruction we brought...and began to sterilize Mars and annihilate our grand monuments to greatness.

A small clutch of us escaped via a ship with technology capable of terraforming the nearby planet we now call Earth. Those who had nearly decimated us knew of our actions, but being a more peaceful race that didn't believe in extinction of other species...decided to permit this small clutch the ability to start anew. Over time, we had forgotten who we once were...struggling to start a society completely from scratch with limited resources from the ship we had brought.

This technology had broken down, and harvesting resources upon Earth without industrial support became a rather daunting task. Much of the culture was lost through each new generation, and the stories of home faded into obscurity. Even today, our former enemies watch us with a weary eye to see if we will develop into an incarnation of our previous heritage...or something more peaceful that can transcend into the stars without the wanton thirst for destruction and conquest.

Let me know if you're interested.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check Empty Re: Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check

Post by Faith Wynters Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 am

Ohhh. I like it!
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check Empty Re: Mars Sci- Fi Roleplay Interest Check

Post by Brandon Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:11 pm

I'm not sure when in the timeline of all of that the RP should take place though haha I feel like what I finished with would be kind of cool. However, I also feel like being at the point where we start conquesting other planets would be a good place to start also... :s
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm not particularly sure how characters would fit in the grand scheme of things. What exactly is the drive?
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:52 am

Well I guess it depends on the time period of the setting. Could be either "Warrior race of humans conquesting the galaxy thinking we can't be stopped until we come across the mystery species mentioned" or it can be about "Trying to rebuild what once was a great empire from scratch and possibly reinventing ourselves in the process" or "Survival in prehistoric times with knowledge from being advanced but being reduced to using sticks and rocks for weapons"
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:33 am

I like all of the options really. We could go places with all of them. Hm :/ Since it's your roleplay I'll let you decide because I'm awful at making decisions.
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:57 am

I like the last one a lot, seems like the most original idea of them all. If no one else expresses interest in the next couple days for me to make it a group, we can start a 1-on-1 m'lady. Smile As long as you can stand my inability to post super fast... :s
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:32 pm

Yeah, that's totally fine. I've grown accustomed to waiting. I was thinking the last one, but I didn't want to pick because I wanted you to have the choice. I really like the idea.
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:35 pm

I haven't written one up in a while... Smile Glad you like it!

EDIT: I figured it would be an interesting spin on things like "Neanderthals 'inventing' fire" and etc...instead, we already knew how to make it and/or used tools to create it haha. Then the cave paintings and so on and so forth.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:32 pm

I didn't see your edit until now, when I got on here. Lol I just wanted to tell you I'm still here; that I haven't lost interest in the roleplay.
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm

Roger that. We will prolly start here in the next day or so then. Just a 1 on 1
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Aww, I was interested Sad
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:55 pm

Oh. Hahah where have you been? This has been up for a bit :p I can just make it a group instead then lol
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Yeah. I'm totally fine with that Smile The more the merrier, especially when roleplaying! Haha
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:47 am

Haha, I've been around...just didn't notice what this specific one was about. I was busy...um...doing...mod things. Yes. Let's go with that. Razz
    Although - this is just an observation, not a nitpick or anything - if we're to do a stone-age civilisation, there wasn't exactly a spoken language back then [that we know of]...and the survivors would have had a head start on whatever life was already on Earth, so...maybe Bronze Age rather than Stone Age? Razz
    And whereabouts on Earth would we be playing? Africa? Asia? Europe?

EDIT:
    Also, how many people escaped? How long has it been? How big are the civilisations? Have these societies evolved differently, on account of their focus being the rebuilding of their society? Have there been any major intertribal or intersocietal conflicts? Who escaped? After all, if scientists escaped, they would be focusing on retaining the knowledge of their lost society. If there were any soldiers who escaped, they would drill their kids with the "Martial Valour and Prowess comes over all else." Just so I can get an idea of what world my character is entering Razz
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm

All very good points! Thankfully I have given a bit of thought to these so you didn't catch me entirely off guard. Smile

Q: If we're to do a stone-age civilization, there wasn't exactly a spoken language back then [that we know of]...and the survivors would have had a head start on whatever life was already on Earth, so...maybe Bronze Age rather than Stone Age?

A: Well considering we will be coming from a very advanced race of people, I would like to think we had a spoken language. The Denisovans and Neanderthals, who naturally formed on Earth, probably did not. But, since there is record of the "Homosapien" species was a main cause of the extinction of the other two native species, I was thinking we would play their role. The lack of technology will be explained in the next questions.

Q: And whereabouts on Earth would we be playing? Africa? Asia? Europe?

A: I was thinking either our shuttle from Mars crashes in the "Cradle of Civilization" Mesopotamia area (Middle East) or something more mystical like: The facility that was set up to terraform Earth for the Martians is on a hovering station in the Bermuda Triangle. Once Mars is taken over, all support would be cut off, causing the station to fall into the ocean; a group of us believing we would lose the war and actually shipping off and out towards Europe. The city sinking soon afterwards, A.K.A. Atlantis.

Q: Also, how many people escaped?

A: Depends on which of those options we choose. Possibly around a hundred or so.

Q: How long has it been?

A: Around the time of all three main species at their prime and actually conflicting with each other's living space, causing us to wipe them out through war and such.

Q: How big are the civilizations?

A: Depends on the groups that split off, I have an idea of when conflicts will arise and certain groups will want to leave a migrate to a new area.

Q: Have these societies evolved differently, on account of their focus being the rebuilding of their society?

A: Yes. They will have different people as leaders, causing different paths based on that persons beliefs.

Q: Have there been any major intertribal or intersocietal conflicts?

A: Yes, these will be kind of role played out.

Q: Who escaped? After all, if scientists escaped, they would be focusing on retaining the knowledge of their lost society. If there were any soldiers who escaped, they would drill their kids with the "Martial Valour and Prowess comes over all else."

A: A mix of every archetype. It wouldn't make sense to preserve only one type of mindset if you were planning on rebuilding an Empire.

Any more questions before we start?
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:48 pm

Haha, well, I'm nothing if not thorough Razz

"Well considering we will be coming from a very advanced race of people, I would like to think we had a spoken language. The Denisovans and Neanderthals, who naturally formed on Earth, probably did not. But, since there is record of the "Homosapien" species was a main cause of the extinction of the other two native species, I was thinking we would play their role. The lack of technology will be explained in the next questions."

That was my point Razz I doubt that a race as advanced as the Martians would have to use stone tools once their technology ran out...maybe for a little bit, but I would like to think that a society that advanced would be able to read, write and at least would be able to use bronze-age level equipment, since the scientists at least would have a very good understanding of the base laws of physics. Hell, even the soldiers would be able to improvise, since all spears are are long sticks with bits of pointy metal on the end.

"I was thinking either our shuttle from Mars crashes in the "Cradle of Civilization" Mesopotamia area (Middle East) or something more mystical like: The facility that was set up to terraform Earth for the Martians is on a hovering station in the Bermuda Triangle. Once Mars is taken over, all support would be cut off, causing the station to fall into the ocean; a group of us believing we would lose the war and actually shipping off and out towards Europe. The city sinking soon afterwards, A.K.A. Atlantis."

Well, since Mars was once almost identical to Earth - at least, that's the hypothesis - I can't imagine that the Earth would require terraforming, or at least not extensively so. I reckon if you're going with the latter, make it an oversight base that lost power when the fuel ran out and sank into the ocean. As for where to start, I reckon to properly explain why the different societies sprang up - if I'm understanding you correctly in that the survivors of the Empire all have different ideas as to how to proceed - you could have several smaller ships rather than one large one, each with a number of survivors. Not many, but enough to create their own unique society. Either that, or the one society fractured over time.

"Depends on which of those options we choose. Possibly around a hundred or so."

I don't think that's enough...definitely not enough for the timescale you're talking about. There are too few people there to avoid inbreeding, and the gene pool is extremely limited. I would say that the minimum would have to be 500. More, if several societies splintered from the mother state.

"Around the time of all three main species at their prime and actually conflicting with each other's living space, causing us to wipe them out through war and such."

So hang on, are we playing after the Martians have split off and done their own thing - since disagreements are rife in any society - or about the time when Neanderthals and Denisovians went extinct? Because those dates are a few thousand years apart - estimated, anyway - and it seems a bit of an overreaction if there's only one Martian society that "these guys are starting to cramp us...let's wipe the species off the face of the planet." It would take a long time as well, since they were still tribal.

"Depends on the groups that split off, I have an idea of when conflicts will arise and certain groups will want to leave a migrate to a new area."

Ok, so, the society is split up in different areas. This has progressed enough so that these guys have evolved, not so much that they're not using anything past stone age tools, and enough that they have expanded and are starting to fight the indigenous lifeforms? I'm sorry, you're probably explaining this right, I just can't get my head around it >.<

Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Well let's just say this. Haha this isn't a movie so nothing has to be seriously ultra-realistic. I just thought it was an interesting idea to kind of play out. Nothing has to be entirely accurate.

As for a few points I'd like to address. The only thing Earth and Mars have in common, in this roleplay at least, is that they can both sustain life. Not necessarily the same life though, like Earthlings couldn't survive on Mars without terraforming the planet first or at least spending a bit of time to adjust to the atmosphere and sun difference.

About the technology. Just because this advanced civilization might have the knowledge of a higher level tech, doesn't mean they have the facilities, nor do they know where to get every material needed. Minerals etc. They might be able to improvise weapons quickly and primitive forms of shelter after the tech they bring with them breaks or runs out of energy, but they wouldn't necessarily be able to replace them anytime soon. Especially considering the resources on Earth would also be very different from the ones available on Mars.

I was planning on smaller groups splintering off due to disagreements and such. starting some of the major migrations. Also, considering humans on Earth technically didn't just one day show up with 500 or more people, then apparently some inbreeding occurred. Along with breeding with the Neanderthals and the other human-like species at the time. You're talking about larger nations and such which would turn this into something completely different than I envisioned it and it would just turn into just another medieval roleplay and I wanted something different.

Being forced into basic survival on an entirely different planet is something different, that at least I have never done before. So that's what I was trying to make. I apologize for not filling all the holes or making a professional storyboard of sorts, I kind of just came up with the idea after watching something on tv about the theory.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:22 am

Oh, I get that, I just wanted to stretch willing suspension of disbelief as little as possible Razz Setting up the rules and fixing the plotholes now means that you have less handwaving to do later, which in turn makes it easier. Trust me, I know Razz
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Yeah, I understand what you are getting at. Just know I'm not trying to create a universe for the roleplay. Just a simple theory that will be fun to play out. Smile
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:13 am

Neither am I; I'm just trying to make sure I understand the situation. So. Let me go over this one more time:

- It's back in the tribal stages; no permanent civilisations have arisen yet.
    - These tribes are very small, and frequently conflict with each other and the indigenous lifeforms.
    - Low technology, obviously...stone or bronze age?
    - How many generations have passed since they crashed?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 10:00 am