Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

2 posters

RESURRECTION

Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

RESURRECTION Empty RESURRECTION

Post by Admin Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:55 pm

Hey guys,

Maybe resurrection was the wrong word to use, but I have noticed that a couple of people have expressed their interest in this place years after its silence. They miss it, and I miss it, too. This community was fun, entertaining, yes it had its drama-filled moments, but generally speaking I feel like it was a positive experienced that really helped with socialization and bonding within the community, as well as practice brushing up on our writing skills.

In my absence from this forum, I have continued being involved in moderating various other online communities, and every once in a while I have come back to Anonymatrix. Nostalgia is quite the feeling, however, one consistent dislike I have felt is Forumotion as a website base. It looks childish, is fairly messy, and has constant issues such as graphic displays, pop-up ads, and various links not working.

So my question to you is would you be interested in maybe not a complete resurrection of this forum, but a new and improved version on a different host? I welcome any and all suggestions and feedback. Do we want a general socializing platform for this community such as a Discord server, or are we interested in a new forum for general creative writing again such as fictional work, poetry, work or school assignment or essay assistance, and text-based roleplaying (with or without dice rolls)?

Let me know what you think and of any ideas that you may have. I shall try my best to consistently check anywhere on this site for responses (I'm assuming it could take an average of a full year for anyone to see this, judging by the date stamps on previous messages), but perhaps a better way to reach me where I am almost guaranteed to see it, is by email. So do let me know what you think, or if you simply just want to chat and catch up on life.

Miss you all,
    Jade Hawk

kiakiart@gmail.com
    Murdock
    Murdock

RESURRECTION Empty Re: RESURRECTION

Post by Murdock Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:57 am

Hey. Murdoch here! For some reason I couldn't log into my old account...I must have forgotten the password and it wasn't letting me reset it, so...new account!

Anyway, I miss Anonymatrix too. It was my first real serious RPing site that wasn't Facebook (God DAMN, those were the days) and I was nothing but a kid with too much free time. Now I'm an adult with too much free time!

In any case, I'd be super interested in helping reboot this place. It would be tough to find the right host - all the best ones tend to either be Proboards (which has its problems) or own their own domain name. You COULD buy the Anonymatrix domain name, but I'm not sure if that would be cost effective considering the work to build the code from the ground up. Alas, all of the best webhosting sites are paid now, as far as I can tell, so...? I dunno. I'd have to poke around and see what I could find!
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:12 pm

OMG! I got a response in less than a year! Hey Murdoch! Much to the same reason that I'm using the Admin account (also, the free attention for posts like this helps), but I can't remember my old log-in info, either.

I am in no way a programmer. I had to teach myself basic HTML and CSS for this forum and it has since left my brain to be replaced with who knows what. So I am welcome to any and all ideas! And anyone who's willing to step in and help.

If you could do some poking around, that would be AMAZING! Thank you! I've been messing around on Discord a lot lately, which works very well for general chatting, but not so much for much else. Otherwise, I don't really know of any other bases to host the latest and greatest Anonymatrix, but I'm doing my research.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I still drop in here from time to time xD The last few months have been busy though, so I missed your post or I would have responded earlier.

No, I get that! I'm not a coder or programmer either. What we need is either a Forum Hosting Site where everything is fairly straightforward, or go to a professional site like Squarespace that will design it for you. I'm a wee bit busy this morning, but in general, I'll see what I can find and come up with some basic options. A Hosting Service would be best, I think, though the good ones cost 3 or 4 dollars a month.

Hopefully we can get some of the other lads and lasses on board, too. I'm still in contact with Mael, but she's preeeeetty busy so she might not have time to help out. I'll contact her and double check tho. ^_^
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Same, life gets in the way. I'm juggling a heck of a lot right now, but that won't stop me!

I would be willing to pay a very small amount a month if I know there will be a decent amount of traffic or number of people interested, but right now I'm cautious and am leaning towards seeking out the free hosts. I just don't know of any.

If you could help spread the word, that would be great! I don't think I'm really in contact with anyone anymore, but we did have that old Facebook group I could see about poking.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:14 am

Noted! I shall investigate the free hosting services and see what I can dig up :-) I'll post a link of possible options here when I have some ideas. Razz
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 am

You are the BEST!

Also did a thing to your account. Means nothing now, but figured you might have missed the cyan name Wink
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:04 am

Oooh, shiny! Teal / Cyan has always been my favourite "Forum Name And Speech Colour." I'm toying with changing my screen name from Murdoch, though (on the possible new site). I don't want to change it to the name I use on my "Main Roleplaying Site," since then people can connect that account back to Murdoch, where I shared personal information.

>.>
    <.<
    >.>

I'll think of something though Razz
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:19 am

Obviously, these options depend on what they "Allow." If we decide to keep the new site PG13, they shouldn't be an issue. If we want to allow an "18+" or "Mature" area, we'd need to check the T&C's of these sites closely.

Lessee...

Proboards. We all should know about Proboards by now. xD Personally I feel like it's the best option, but since I won't be the one building it... xD

Create A Forum. Looks intriguing, but the downsides are the presence of Ads, and the fact that on free accounts, they censor "some words." Which might get...grating, considering that since we're all now adults, I imagine we would want a more Adult-Orientated Roleplay Site, non?

Boardhost. I'm not sure about this - it seems basic, maybe, and the homepage certainly isn't very flashy - but I've read good reviews of it so it might be worth a shot?

MyBB. The name makes me cringe, but it looks professional enough, and it seems to have an intuitive interface, if nothing else?

That's all I can find at the moment. A lot of lists are out of date, or have links to sites that have been bought by somebody called "Taptalk." xD Which, I suppose, is why for longevity you might want your own Domain Name if the community gets big enough xD

Anyway, those are my preliminary options. I'll keep looking though!
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:18 am

Jade Hawk is recognizable here so I'll keep it, but I really did share some things on here that I would prefer other groups not to know about.

Thanks for the list!! Yeah, we're all adults now. I'm not a fan of NSFW content, but I'm not totally against giving it its own locked section of a forum if need be (but really... WHY? There's other sites for that).

Proboards I like the sound of. I'm leaning more towards this one. The free version does offer quite a lot, which is nice.

Create-A-Forum looks like it was made by... well me in 2011. I mean, have you seen the AMX background? Was I high?

Boardhost feels like Forumotion (this place). Meh.

My dog was named BB at the shelter before I adopted and renamed her. Just.... a fun fact.

I like the looks of Proboards the best. I'll have a peak around the site more and see what I can come up with.

------

I've just created a test forum. ProBoards is identical to Forumotion, but less broken.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:44 am

Oh, I'm not advocating for NSFW content at all. Just saying that it's something to consider if we decide to go that way. Razz Because "Adult Content" doesn't just refer to sex; I mean, an 18 rating for a film doesn't necessarily mean that the film has truckloads of tits and ass, does it? It could just mean extreme violence, or adult themes. Which is why I said we should look at the T&C's to see precisely what they don't allow and what they do. :-)

Yeah, Proboards tends to be the most popular one. Lots of easy options, it's been around for absolute yonks, and it's fairly well known and tends to show up highly in google searches.

Also, lol, yes. I remember even back then, I was a bit "....ok, sure, if that's what she wants the background to look like." xD
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:45 am

Fair fair.

I've been playing around for the last few hours and doing a bit of research here and here. Really should be asleep but... who's counting?

This place really shows my age at the time. Please tell me to chill next time! I don't even like the colour orange very much.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

You should be! Get to sleep! xD

For somebody who doesn't like the colour orange, it's fekking everywhere! xD I'd hate to see what the site would look like if you DID like orange!
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I think I feared making it look too girly. Also why "Anonymatrix" I haven't a clue, but I'm attached to that name now.

I'd like the new 2.0 version to resemble this one somewhat, be recognizable, maybe sticking with the black/orange/blue theme, but less OTT and more sophisticated. Also open to any suggestions on that.
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:16 pm

Oh, you're asking the wrong man here. I suck at design work xD
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:50 pm

What do you think?

anonymatrix.boards.net
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:55 pm

Oooh, sounds nice! I agree, Anonymatrix has a nice ring to it, and it feeds on my nostalgia. Razz I wonder if we can gather the old gang back together xD
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:01 pm

I would love that! If we can. Faith and Zalgo have been popping in over the last few years, and it sounds like they might be interested in this idea, too
    Murdock
    Murdock

Post by Murdock Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:50 pm

I'm still in contact with Mael, too, so I'll mention it to her next time we speak. Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin
    Owner
    Owner

Post by Admin Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:34 am

Perfect! Thank you!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:19 pm