Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+3
Eljordo
Brandon
Murdoch
7 posters

A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD]

Anonymous

A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD] Empty A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD]

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:30 am

After my leave of absence (which I doubt many noticed) I am back. Whilst I was away, like any person who is actively employed I day dreamed and I think a good idea sprung to mind.( I know that I have a couple of other RPs in which I have to reply, however I think in a couple of those I may be a bit behind etc etc)

My Idea was that in about the 1950s some cataclysmic event like a nuclear war or something(possibly the Nazis won WW2) effect the world, so to escape the destruction that was going on on the ground some brainbox thought that humans should take to the sky, so they construced flying cities (im thinking some sort of steam punky kinda thing). 1940s planed became modded and updated to make them more durable etc etc, factions grew and the rest is the RP.

Like I said its only and Idea and if you wanna hear more plz reply. I also had a daydream about zombies but I think most of you are bored of zombie RPs so I wont talk about that one.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD] Empty Re: A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD]

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:49 pm

A few things...yes, indeed, you do need to reply to some RP's, and if you think you're getting out of my one, you're sadly mistaken; you need a catch-up? Ask me or anyone in the RP.

Second, it sounds interesting, but it would have to be a cataclysm that A) only affected the sky, and B) would be severe enough that the countries actually put the money into developing bigger and stronger planes...also, you'd have to worry about fuel.
    And I think that if they took to the sky, they would want to retain their territory...so you would have to look at how the countries would develop; would Great Britain decide that a monarch was better in this new world than a Parliament? How would other countries react to political changes in countries? How would the populace react? How would the armed forces evolve? Would WW2 continue in the skies? How would that affect how war was conducted, when there's only air power and no more land battles, or would tanks and infantry still play a part, landing on enemy skystations? That kind of thing.
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD] Empty Re: A Sci fi(ish) RP I am thinking of starting [OLD]

Post by Brandon Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Coughwolfrpcough
    Eljordo
    Eljordo
    CAPTAIN VICTORY
    CAPTAIN VICTORY

Post by Eljordo Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:01 pm

This has potential, are the Nazis still in power? It would be interesting if the government WAS nazi controlled, then we could form like a resistance or something Very Happy
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:51 pm

That's what I was thinking; if the Nazis won, than A) we'd have to come up with an alternate sequence of events (EG, Hitler kept the pact with Russia/the USA didn't become involved/Battle of Britain resulted in British loss/etc etc) and B) We wouldn't have loads of factions fighting. We'd have one government. We could make it so that the cataclysm happened during WW2, so when they have taken to the skies, the war has resumed (so maybe there was a truce where the disaster took precedent?)...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Okay, lets go with the Nazis won WW2. Germany, Italy, Russia and Japan after crushing what resistance was left in Europe created a hasty peace with the US whilst developing Nuclear weapons or something.

Lets say late 1950s they broke the truce by nuking most of the major cities and America replied Nuking major European cities...

tell me if I am on the right sort of lines.

As for ground troops, infantry yes, armor no (although I am sure artillery could be mounted on airships). If you think Mortal Engines 'Airhaven' as a sort of premise for these floating cities, except multiply the size a few hundred times and the number by a few thousand.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Of course, we have to deal with GB; I'm not being patriotic here...it is a fact that after the Battle of Britain, Britain was never going to be invaded. They might not have won, but they would have remained independent. So what happened with Britain? And the Russians technically weren't on the axis side, they were neutral until Germany attacked them (neutral on account of a pact that was signed). So what happened to Russia? Did it ally with Germany? And what is the political situation with the Axis? Guaranteed Hitler doesn't like the Soviets, Japanese or Italians; he signed pacts with them out of necessity...it would be a dead cert that as soon as he could, Hitler would eliminate them to make way for the "Master Race". And would Britain, if it retained its independence, have an advantage on account of its superiority in airpower?
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:41 pm

What about operation Sealion? After Hitler had defeated us in the air he had an invasion planned out... he had even decided what generals were going to get sections of the UK, there is a really good book called Fatherland which is a novel that is based around the very premace that hitler invaded England (based on partial fact)

He did sign them out of necessity, and we can put it that when he turned on the US he turned upon his allies destroying their governments and absorbing them into his Reich.

As for the air power, if we go with the premace that ME262 was the most powerful jet propelled vehicle and that aviation stayed very much in the rotorary planes area due to funds and research taking place on the floating cities that are saving the master race (and the plebs that arise from the other countries)
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Ah yes, but Operation Sealion could not have succeeded at all if he couldn't secure air supremacy. Our navy was more than a match for his, and the only way he could have defeated the Royal Navy would have been through air supremacy. If he didn't have that, then he couldn't invade. After the Battle of Britain, it was a dead cert that Britain wouldn't have been invaded. We could still have lost, but not invaded; not only was air supremacy key- which he couldn't gain- but he was not a good general, and kept meddling in his generals affairs, which is one of the key reasons he failed in Russia and Africa. Not the only reason, not even the most important reason, but an important one nonetheless. But my original question was simply "What about GB?" as in, "Was the BoB lost, and what happened to GB afterwards?"

Ah, but if he turns on all his allies at once, they'll kick his backside; after all, he'll have another Allied Powers on his hands, and he'll be on his lonesome; that was a key reason he lost...overextension. And if he turns on one of his allies, the others will think "Ah....sorry, maybe we should take him out." So absorbing them into his Reich would have difficulties...maybe he filled out the generalships of his allies with his own people, and then turned on the governments....although that still leaves the problem of the USA.

BUT, the ME262 was not the best plane; not even close. It was the fastest, but that speed also made it massively unmanoeuvrable and extremely expensive not only in construction but also in fuel. So going on the fact that his main air force would still comprise of Focke Wulfs, the earlier Messerchmitts and Stukas- the Stukas being good terror weapons but terrible fighters- the USA air force would sport the Mustang Fighter, a far superior fighter to anything the Germans had, and if the British were still around (at a weakened state and presumably with an uneasy peace with Germany) the Hurricanes and Spitfires- more the Hurricanes- would also give Hitler pause. So assuming GB wasn't destroyed totally, it seems probable that they would remain alone, and as soon as they took to the skies and isolationism wasn't an option anymore, the USA would ally with Britain to protect one another with their superior planes. Then Hitler would probably have to step carefully to avoid a war that he could quite possibly lose...after all, if you've taken to the skies and your power was in how your army, navy and airforce all worked together, it would be pretty difficult to fight if you couldn't land your troops. Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:06 pm

But we have just delcared a premace that Hitler won the battle of britain, therefore he would have the air supremacy to bomb out navy which meant operation sealion would have been effective. (I think that answers your question)

I wasnt implying that the ME262 was the best, jsut that it was the most advanced in terms of jet propulsion which after the 1950s really started to take off (excuse the pun).

I mean we are working on a basis here that everything went in hitlers favor and that somehow he was able to pull together a central government, unifying the axis whilst crushing any powers in europe under the jackboot, whilst successfully holding apeace with his allies and the USA whilst developing some sort of weapon that could cause monumental damage to the earth causing the population to take to the skies whereupon a small group of freedom fighters in period aircraft outfitted with 'modern' (I put them in inverted because its not modern but based upon modern technology) weapons and systems go against a single centralised evil government that are persecuting the minoritories and were responsible for the destruction of the cites on the ground...
    I think thats kinda explanitory
    Brandon
    Brandon
    Brandy Maxy
    Brandy Maxy

Post by Brandon Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:11 pm

Crimson Skies? Lol
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Ah, fair dues. Of course, we have to deal with the fact that the British would always be a problem for Hitler...we've never taken invasions lying down; before 1066 (the last time we were invaded) we've caused as many problems for our occupiers as possible XD.

I know, but the point still stands; the USA would have better fighters than the Germans (plus whatever British servicemen managed to escape to the USA; let's be honest, if they evacuated to the USA, they could continue the fight, and the USA isn't about to turn them away), so the Germans wouldn't be able to fight against the USA in this situation, because in this scenario, the USA would have far greater firepower in the air. Even in the 1950's, for much of it the USA did dominate the jetfighter side of things, with planes like the Sabre. And assuming the Cold War never happened, the Soviets might well ally with the USA rather than Germany. *shrugs*.

Ah...I'd say tone that down a little bit. There's a difference between alternate reality and pure fantasy. Saying that everything went his way is probably a very bad thing, because it instantly becomes unbelievable. Have some things go against him (for instance, many British soldiers and civilians escaped to the USA, and the USSR survived somehow), but have enough things go right that he won. Saying that everything went his way...unbelievable, to be honest. Especially considering that Hitler was not a particularly good strategist.
    And also, I think think up a different disaster. The technology didn't exist in 1940 to destroy the earth somehow...that is just stretching the willing suspension of disbelief to breaking point. And if he had just wiped out GB and was on the verge of victory, why in Gods name would he have detonated a world-ending weapon? Why would anybody do that?

I know I am arguing tooth and nail here, but I'm just playing Devils advocate; these issues will come up, and it's better if you think about them now rather than midway through the RP and you stumble across a massive plothole. XD
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:23 pm

Im sure that's a game :/

Tecnically the plot would just come from a bunch of people flying in planes shooting shit down :/ were just arguing over the back story...I mean, if I had 6 hours, a pad of A4 paper and a pen then I would happily jot down and try and get rid of the plot holes...but all im trying to do is make an RP with planes.

if you assume that pearl harbour still happened and that the germans and Japanese coordinated an attack agains the USA attacking from the east and west I am sure that the odds would be agaisnt the US.

I am also fighting my corner. cause I think flying cities is a much mroe fun place to lauch planes off that off aircraft carriers and ground bases. it adds an element to infantry fighting as well.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Sorry?

True, but I like attention to detail. I mean, the least you should do is highlight the two or three factions, and their strengths and weaknesses. Otherwise, you'll get people trying to do one-ups on each other, and it gets stuck in a spiral effect. Saying "The Germans have more fighters but they aren't as manoeuvrable" gives people less room to wriggle around.

You say that, but the thing that would defeat them would be the same thing that defeated the Germans in Russia and the British in the USA; not only is the USA a massive distance from anywhere else, meaning that resupplying and reinforcing would be extremely difficult, but also that the USA is so bloody big, the Germans would extend themselves too much and be completely outnumbered by the USA's massive industry that basically turned from making hundreds of thousands of cars to making hundreds of thousands of tanks and planes. XD. Besides, if the cities are flying, the airpower would still show in the USA's favour- quality beats quantity- and the fact that the cities would be flying, with their own air defences...? I don't think it would be that difficult. Besides, you need to add in at least one faction that's fighting the Germans. It just makes good conflict. Very Happy

I didn't deny that. As I said; I'm playing Devils Advocate. I'm arguing the opposite side to make you think about it a little. Besides, you didn't answer the issue about the end of the world; why would the Germans do it if they were winning? If you wanted the Germans to activate it, maybe Hitler found a way of fusing the atom (which releases ten thousand times more energy than splitting it) and detonated it when he saw that they were losing, forcing all of the forces into the air. That way, he would neutralise the American supremacy with number of tanks, and you don't have to think up an entire alternate history. Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:43 pm

I know fusion releases more energy, seeming as all life is powered by the sun and the sun is just a huge fusion reaction...

Okay, how about this. Germany defeats GB and Europe, however they cannot take America due to geographical and economic reasons. They forge a shakey peace. Germany after a few years turns on its ex allies absorbing the USSR and other Axis powers to form one huge centralised Reich covering Europe and most of Asia (as for africa I would be unsure, maybe the northern most countries around the Med but other than that I dont think they would have advanced). Then, something happens. which means that these factions (Nazis, US and an amalgamated group of Europeans who form an internal resistance) take to living in flying cities
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 pm

That sounds far more feasible Very Happy Of course, they would have met with small resistances from local populaces who are performing sabotage actions and a little bit of guerilla warfare. Very Happy Maybe some servicemen from the invaded countries escaped the executions and fled to the USA, but since Hitler can't prove it and is still wary of attacking the USA just in case, he lets it lie.

Anyway, now you just need to decide what the disaster was...
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Thats where you come in...you are the master of destroying stuff
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:09 pm

What do you mean? Are you claiming that I have some inherent desire to and talent at wreaking havoc on a worldwide scale and will someday use that maniacal genius to destroy or take over the world and enslave the entire planet, using it as a springboard to bend the universe and reality in its entirety to my will, therefore becoming omnipotent, omniscient and immortal and all but a God? Are you saying that is my plan? Because that could not be further from the truth! *cough* *Shifty eyes*.

Anyway. I have a few inklings, but I am not sure how to fit them into your desired setting. Mt St Helen could have gone up, the supervolcano setting off a chain reaction of eruptions that made the surface uninhabitable, forcing the populace to seek refuge above the toxic clouds of ash and smoke in flying cities...or it could be a comet that smashed into the moon, shattering it and eliminating its gravitational pull, as well as sending shards of moon-comet showering down upon the earth, much of which landed in the arctic/antarctic, massive glaciers being shattered and melted faster as a result raising sea levels massively as the sudden absence of a moon throws the tides into anarchy, causing destruction at sea on an untold level, making the surface uninhabitable. Or You could have the atomic bomb dropped on Japan hit a large deposit of oil, causing an even bigger series of explosions that rips the surface of the world into hundreds of tiny shards as the land burns and the sea boils...but those are just some preliminary ideas.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Not in practice...but on paper your ideas seem pretty good.

I like the sound of the first two...I think natural disaster would work a little better than man made.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:19 pm

What do you mean? I have plans all set out. Very Happy

Well, take your pick. Very Happy
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:22 pm

o.o I'm now just a little scared. Good job I have contingency plans for a zombie apocalypse and the general end of the world.

I think the Yellowstone erupting is a good one.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:25 pm

You don't have plans for what I'm going to unleash. Trust me. Very Happy

But I want to destroy the mo-oooon! Sad
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:37 pm

Give me a premace and a good explanation as to why the moon would suddenly explode and I will say yey or ney
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:45 pm

It's up there in my original disaster ideas. Re-read it for the explanation.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:17 am

You also have to remember that I am the one who is writing this up :p

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:33 pm