Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

3 posters

Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream)

Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream) - Page 4 Empty Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream)

Post by Dream Rationally Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:59 pm

First topic message reminder :

Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream) - Page 4 1274918422_4

Setting

At some point in most people’s lives, thing take a turn for the worst. Everyone has their dark days, some people never get out of them. For him and her, things have definitely taken a turn. On one hand, she’s been rejected by her family, sent off to the military, tried to wipe clean her train wreck of a life but that seemed to only make it worse. She lost part of herself along the way…literally. However, they never would have met without that tragedy.

He’s been blind for the last fifteen years, and sure, he dealt with it. However recently, it’s been getting more and more difficult for him to face this world without being able to see it. He misses the beauty, he misses feeling things, being able to connect with his environment. Most of all, he’s lonely. And she is damaged.

Thankfully, they found each other. There is a rehabilitation center in Portland, Oregon. Where the weather is usually a dreary rain, and the rehab center has the best therapy sessions in the state. She has been signed up by her parents to attend this group session, for eight weeks. With a room to herself, food, books…and a mandatory group session once a day.

He was an old patient, through his adolescence and growth as a person he had been coming to the center for help whenever he needed it, his parents eagerly paying the sign-up fees in a heartbeat. One of his ways to pay back this facility?
    Volunteering as a guest speaker to the other trauma patients for a month, he meets a rather interesting girl…
    Avalon
    Avalon

Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream) - Page 4 Empty Re: Broken Strings (Avalon/Dream)

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:36 am

Slowly, I felt her mood shift slightly, as did her body as she drew herself closer to me, until she was nearly in my lap. I felt a small smile soften my features as she gently rested herself against me, and carefully drew my arm around her small form, just placing my hand on her shoulder.
    “Point taken.” I grinned as she poked me, poking her back on the side of her arm. My grin just wouldn’t disappear, because I guess I felt…great. She was in my arms, like I had wanted from the start. But I knew that it wasn’t anywhere near perfect. I had screwed up, and this was just her way of kind of saying…we were okay. Kind of. In some weird, messed up way, we were okay.
    That was all it took to make my expression turn from a small smile into a brilliant glow.

She wasn’t gone.
    I hadn’t lost her after all.

After a moment, I simply drew her closer to me, until she was in my lap, where I curled my legs up and softly rested my cheek on her head.
    At this point, I was over the feeling of ‘this is totally wrong, I’m her counselor’ and moved to the fact that I liked her. And I suppose she liked me, if she was here still. But what did that make us? Friends, I knew we were friends. But…what about more than that? Friends didn’t embrace each other like this, I’m sure she was aware of that.
    However, I think that it might take me a while to ever tell her my feelings. After last night…I was in a very awkward place. What now? What was I supposed to say?

“Crap.” I murmured under my breath, feeling my eyebrows knit together slightly at a sudden thought, remembering how I had burst into Joanne’s office earlier and nearly quit my job.
    Hopefully she hadn’t gotten my replacement yet, or else I would have a lot of explaining to do, on top of the load of shit I was probably already in.

Softly, I growled into Molly’s soft hair, scrunching my nose up and sighing loudly. “I’m in trouble.” I said, more loudly this time, so that she could hear me, and not just think I was some nut muttering to myself. “I almost quit my job today.” I shook my head, closing my eyes and easing slightly, knocking my head back softly against the wall as I growled again, more audibly this time.

“And you almost left.” I said faintly as I opened my eyes, raising one eyebrow as I turned my face down to Molly, drawing my free hand up to touch her cheek lightly. It was so…soft. I let myself indulge in the shape of her jawline, running my fingers down it lightly. But nothing else.
    I knew she wanted me to know. She wanted me to see her, but…I suppose I just wasn’t ready. She could understand that, right? I felt as if…I didn’t deserve to know yet. It was like a gift, to know what she looked like. Something I just couldn’t bring myself to do until I felt that I truly deserved to be with her. Which I know I did not. Well, perhaps not yet.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:55 am

As much as I was angry and hurt, I was also about as happy as I could be right now. After all despite everything that had happened it's not like my feelings for him were going to just disappear at the drop of a hat. I wasn't that simple. Or perhaps I was that simple..seeing as it only took my cuddling into his side to have me practically turning into putty between his fingers.
    Yet I wondered whether he truly realized just how profound his effects on me were. What did he think we were? Just friends? There was no way of knowing for sure without being in his head.
    Though when he wrapped his arm around my shoulders I knew there was something else between us that went beyond just friendship. Perhaps some kind of longing we both shared but were too scared to approach at this point in time.

Suddenly I felt myself being moved and I was in Adams lap. It was only a slight shift in positions but it was enough to make my cheeks turn a deep shade of crimson red. I'd been in a relationship before in the past but.. fine, I guess you can't really call a middle school facade of giggles and smiles a relationship. The dating scene was never an area I'd been able to get into. Not with the girls who tended to surround me. Many of my friends from high school were what most guys would consider 10 out of 10's on the scale of attractiveness while I was just a mere 5 compared to them.
    So excuse me for becoming a little bit flustered after being lifted into the lap of the guy who was not only my crush but about as drop-dead gorgeous as a human being can be.

"Huh?" I murmured curiously as I heard Adam curse quietly before growling in what was probably frustration. My head drew away from his chest to look up at him with an expression that closely mirrored the sound that had passed my lips.
    His words came to me but my mind was immediately thrown into a deep tangent the moment his hand came to brush against my cheek only to find its way along the soft curve of my jaw. Once again the gesture of affection was met by a flush of color on my cheeks but he only could have felt the sudden warmth rather than seen it.

However once he had explained himself to me I felt a frown come across my face and as much as I hated to slip away from him.. I carefully untangled myself from the warmth of his embrace and settled myself back down on the bed next to him where I had been sat until only minutes ago.
    "If that's the case you'd better make sure you still have your job, Adam. The class would be heartbroken if they got someone new who had no idea where they were coming from or what had happened to them..if only somewhat. I know I would be." I added the last little comment with a small smile though I almost bashfully lowered my gaze.
    "I-I'm not going anywhere so if you want to come back.. you can." I blushed as I said this but at the same time I meant it.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:07 pm

I felt myself grin at a sudden warmth to her cheeks, and liked the feeling. A lot actually. If I could make her blush, what did that mean?
    Before I could explore the feeling more, she was parting from me, and I felt the brightness and warmth fall from my face, instead, a kind of lost-puppy wideness creeping into my eyes as I was left empty handed, missing the softness of her face in my hands and the warmth of her body close to mine.
    But she was right.
    The woman was always right.

"If you insist." I bowed my head slightly, glad to know she still wanted me around. I pushed myself off the wall, standing in a graceful, fluid motion and raising my arms high above myself, scratching the back of my neck lightly as I yawned, feeling my spine cracking and my lingering hangover disappearing.
    "I'll be back." I turned back to her, quickly making a snap decision.

In mere seconds, I was back on the bed, well, only my knee was touching the blankets but still. My arm rested against the wall next to her, and I paused, touching her cheek lightly again, afraid that I might miss and gently pressed my lips against her soft skin in a soft peck on the cheek, before I scooped up my bag quickly and walked out of the room, hearing the sound of the door shutting behind me.
    A triumphant grin painted my face as I made my way to the main office, not even minding the small wait in the stale seating area until Joanne finally came out.
    At first, I heard her words catch in her throat, probably confused at the sudden change in my expression. "Hey." I stood, hugging her small, old-woman form into my chest for a second before I parted, grinning down at her. The warm feeling still hadn't left my chest. I hope it never left.

"Adam, what the hell?" She sighed, and I felt her shake her head, as my hands were still set on her shoulders. She knew me too well. I was prone to these little...mood swings every once and a while. At times, I was crippled by stress and anxiety, and others I was like a beam of sun, bathing everyone around me in light.
    This was one of those times. "Sorry Jo, you know how I can be. Step on a spider, ruins my whole day. Bite into a good apple, totally redeems it." I let my hands drop, hugging my arms to my chest lightly as if too keep in my beating heart. Jesus, I was acting like a lovestruck school girl. Stop it, Adam. Act like a normal person.
    "Well, you'd better still work with those patients. It would be impossible to get a replacement now." She growled, turning back to her office as I heard the click of her heels fading.
    "Thanks, you old bag!" I called after her lovingly, before turning and walking out, the whole time I probably looked like such an idiot with a little goofy smile plastered on my face.

It was late, later than I would have thought. Even after skipping the end of the group session...I guess I had waited in the seating room longer than I had thought.
    Good thing I had something perfect in mind.
    After a quick trip to the gardens, and plucking any flower that had soft enough petals, I made my way back to my favourite place in the facility...besides the theatre.
    Molly's room.
    I leaned against the doorframe, with a charming twist of my lips making me feel like a prince awaiting his damsel, I softly knocked twice on the door.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:29 pm

Something in the way his expression changed suddenly told me that he was going through more or less the same sense of loss I was going through. Perhaps it was just wishful thinking but I could have sworn I saw a kind of disappointment in his eyes at the loss of my closeness to him just the same as mine. If I could have had my way, we would have sat there in a warm embrace until it was time for him to head back home.
    But alas that was not to be and for good reason too. If he'd almost quit his job then it was imperative that he make sure that he didn't lose his place as group leader. If not.. then I'd have no reason to stay at the facility.

I watched him as he pulled himself off the bed but as I moved to bring myself towards the edge, thinking I'd get up as well, I was caught by a sudden movement out of the corner of my eye. Before I could really do much more than shift my gaze he was right in front of me. So close that I could feel the warmth of his skin against my own. Then he kissed me.
    It was only on the cheek but the sensation was very much the same as I would have imagined a kiss on the lips would have been. Soft, warm, but most of all enough to make my heart skip a beat or two which is exactly what it did.

I was speechless as he then continued to leave the room with a stunning smile on his lips. A kind of arrogant smile but one that I could not help but admire at the same time. By the time I'd managed to do more than just blush my face off, he was gone. A quiet sigh passed my lips.
    What was I going to do now? I hadn't fully forgiven him for what he'd done but.. I was getting myself into a deeper mess than before. My feelings had grown exponentially in the last ten minutes. So much so that I was almost afraid that I was going to scare him away the next time I saw him.

I reminded myself I only had so long before he got back so I pulled myself out of bed with a bit of a huff. Now I was going to need to pretty myself up a little bit. Of course my version of prettying up wasn't to put on a whole bunch of makeup and spend hours on my hair, no, my version of prettying up was to splash some water on my face and spray just the slightest hint of perfume onto my neck in the hopes that he might notice.
    A subtle but sweet vanilla was my scent of choice most of the time and this was no exception.
    With Adam being blind I didn't bother myself with anything other than the way I could potentially feel beneath his fingertips and the way I smelled. Was I wrong for doing that?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a knock at my door. When I glanced over at the clock on my bedside table I realized I'd been standing in front of my mirror lost in thought for all of half an hour. It was now getting towards 7:00 in the evening.
    I quickly headed for my door, pausing in front of it to take a short breath in order to prepare myself for the man I knew would be on the other side, and pulled it open .
    "Took you long enough." I said in a playful tone as I stepped aside to let him in before closing the door behind him.

I left my hand on the door as I nervously went over the question I wanted to ask Adam next. I repeated the words at least three or four times in my head before they actually passed my lips in a timid tone.
    "I was thinking.. It's getting kind of late. Do you want to get some dinner with me?" I turned around to face him with an uncertain expression.
    I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Was he going to turn me down or would he think I was asking him to dinner as a friend?
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:55 pm

My hands were so sweaty I just about dropped the few, probably pathetic-looking flowers in my hand as I stepped in, instantly smelling her soft perfume and feeling my stomach knot up, knowing I was wearing the juvenile clothes I used to wear a few years back in the facility, making me look like more of a silly teenager and less of an adult.
    Wait.
    Why did I suddenly care about how I looked? I had never cared before, why now?
    You know why, stupid.

Sighing lightly, I raised my arm and drew it back, placing my hand lightly on the back of my neck and smiling kind of nervously. "Um...these are for you." I said, knowing that I was going to be horrible at this. She wanted to go out for supper, which was my idea exactly...she had just beat me to the chase. Except...I was going to ask her out. Like a real date.
    The thought slowly started to shrink into the back of my mind as I stepped toward where I knew a dresser was situated, and placed the silly flowers on the top, chuckling awkwardly to myself for a moment before I turned to her, clapping my hands together before shoving them into my back pockets, slouching slightly as I rocked back on my heels. Yes. I was nervous. Yes. I had a crush.

"Dinner sounds good. What did you have in mind?" I knew where she was standing, and it took all of my self control not to simply walk over there, take her in my arms and kiss her.
    Oh god, what was that perfume doing to me?
    I felt kind of...intoxicated. But this high was much better than drugs, much better than alcohol. It was...affection. Which beat everything in all the story books, right?

My worries started to slowly melt the longer I stood with her, and I softly leaned against the wall of her room, feeling my awkward smile turn into more of a charming grin, eyes glittering mischievously as they usually did whenever I was in a good mood. Except now they were probably glowing, because this mood was far beyond just 'good'. It was...
    Butterflies in your stomach, thrashing about and feeling more like small birds than bugs.
    Knots in your throat, even when you kept swallowing past them and trying to speak, but no words coming out even after you tried the third time.
    Tingling down your spine, like when you step out of a warm shower on a cold day and it takes you a second to find your towel, but even when you find it and wrap it around your shoulders, shivering...you can't seem to shake those chills.
    Warmth in your chest, like I felt whenever I was around her. Except it wasn't a soft warmth, it was like a burning flame. It was a living thing, breathing through me and making me dizzy, making my hands sweaty and my throat tight.

I think I was falling for her.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:15 pm

I felt a little bit silly asking him out on.. a date of sorts. I mean, I truly was asking him out on a date where we would be more than just friends. I wanted to be more than just friends with him. Although it was very much against who I was as a person. I was the kind of girl who people, correctly, assumed was a shy little introvert who wouldn't dare to so much as breathe in the direction of her crush. Usually that was exactly the way I acted around people I developed feelings for. However Adam was much different. Unlike my previous little crushes, I felt like he was worth truly putting myself out there for. Like I was going to lose him if I didn't pounce on him to claim him for my own. As terrible of a thought as that might be.

A bashful smile came to my lips accompanied by a small blush when I saw that he'd brought me some flowers. Of course I could see they were taken from the gardens just out front but still. It was the thought that counted more than anything.
    So I followed him over to the dresser where he put them down so I could pick them up and put them in a glass of water for better keeping. I didn't have a vase or anything so my drinking cup was going to have to do for now.
    "Thanks. I haven't gotten flowers in years." I murmured with a sheepish little grin.

The knowledge that he actually wanted to go out to dinner with me was quite staggering. I'd half expected him to say that he needed to get home or something like that. After today I would not have been surprised in the slightest. However he took me by surprise by instead asking me what I had in mind as opposed to wishing me goodnight.
    "When we were walking back from breakfast the other day, I noticed an Italian restaurant just down the road. Of course I have no idea whether it's any good or not but.. I love Italian food. Or do you have a preference?" I answered him after a second of hesitation. I knew he would be able to hear the smile that had made its way onto my face.
    A smile of absolute joy.

I quickly ran around the room gathering up a few things I felt I might need for our little evening out together. My wallet, my watch, phone, and a pull-over in case it got cold out later in the night. Once I had all of my things together though I shyly stepped towards Adam while chewing on my bottom lip.
    I was really bad at this. I was bad at most things romantic.
    In a way, despite being an army girl, I was a hopeless romantic. I still believed I might one day be swept off my foot (haha) and into the arms of my prince charming. Was Adam my prince charming?

I mustered up my confidence and reached out to take his hand in my own, threading our fingers together tightly. Although I knew my face was probably glowing bright red there was also a smile that stretched from ear to ear upon my lips.
    I could not have been any happier.
    "We'll figure something out on the way." I said with a chuckle while leading the way out of the room towards the entrance lobby. The woman who worked at the desk wasn't there, which was a relief, but I probably wouldn't have cared much if she was. I was proud to be hand in hand with Adam.

ooc: Thank goodness for the weekend! xD
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:15 pm

Ooc: Sorry it's taken me forever to reply! I've been taveling, and I just recently got wifi! My flights have been a little weird, so I'll try to reply when I can!

bic:

At her suggestion, I couldn’t help but chuckle a little. That Italian restaurant was probably not what she was expecting, but I was happy to oblige. I’d been there a few times before, and I knew exactly how...warm the atmosphere was going to be.
    It would be interesting to see her blush once we got there, but I didn’t have that luxury. It was a romantic spot, not too formal, but with the warmth of wine and candles, it set a certain mood, one that was hard to resist.

To her answer, I simply shrugged one shoulder, the one that wasn’t connected to the arm she was holding. “Sounds perfect.” I grinned, perhaps a little too knowingly.

As we exited the lobby, I didn’t feel the need to take out my walking stick. With Molly on my arm, I felt...secure. Safe. Something that was unfamiliar when I usually walked the streets of Portland. Especially as the night began to get chillier as we casually walked past the gardens of the facility. I could hear the wind growing, and the smell of rain nearby.
    Well, there goes the warm, sunny weekend I was going to enjoy. Hello familiar storm clouds and nipping wind.

Without even really realizing it, I had moved closer to Molly as we walked. No longer keeping my casual stride, but instead, appearing as her escort of sorts. Something more intimate making its way to the surface of my body language. A soft sigh being heard here and there from her lips, so close, was all I needed to hear mingled with the growing wind.

We found the restaurant just as a soft, delicate rain began to break the surface of the clouds, painting my eyelashes the way the morning painted blades of grass with dew.
    “For two.” I said in a charming voice to the host, following the sound of his footsteps as he led us to a small, secluded table for two.
    I could already smell the warm candles, and hear the faint coo of soft jazz as a perfect ambiance. The waiter brought a bottle of wine moments after I instructed, and then it was just us, in our oh-so-familiar little bubble once more. I faced Molly with a small, amused smile painting my lips, eyes twinkling as I tried to listen for her reaction to the restaurant she had picked, knowing she would never had expected something so lush from a town that was so...mundane.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:40 pm

As we walked out of the facility the only thing that crossed my mind was the fact that we were going out on a date. It really was a date. Wasn't it? I mean there was something different about the atmosphere between us tonight and the previous day when we'd gone out for brunch together. Things seemed so much more intimate in a way. At least when I turned my head to glance up towards my companion I found that he was walking much closer to me than previously and he almost seemed to embrace my gentle clutch on his hand. Just the mere thought of being on a date with Adam made me smile like a little schoolgirl.

It didn't take us very long to get to the restaurant I'd mentioned but in the few minutes of walking the weather changed quite drastically. Thankfully we reached the entrance to the place just as the drizzle began to fall. Probably the last thing I would have wanted was to find out whether the drizzle would become a downpour the way it often did in Portland.
    I hoped we would be occupied with dinner until the weather passed over but if not, I wouldn't have minded all that much. So long as I had him with me, I'd be happy no matter what.
    This thought came to me suddenly and caused my cheeks to flush yet again, distracting me from the restaurant as we were lead to our table.

It was only when we sat down that I finally managed to snap out of my thoughts to observe my surroundings.
    "Wow.." I breathed as I continued to look around at everything the restaurant had to offer. It was heavily decorated on the inside to look like the kind of balcony cafe you'd see along the streets of Rome. On the walls hung steadily burning lanterns that gave the whole place a soft glow while the real light on the table came from a candle in the center. It had a very.. romantic atmosphere to say the very least.
    "If I'd have known it was going to be this fancy, I would have dressed up a little more.." I murmured with a quiet giggle at the actual lack of formality in my clothing. At least Adam could pass off as having dressed up a bit.

I turned my gaze up towards the beautiful eyes of the man across from me and immediately found myself drawn in by the deep color. Again I could not believe that he was blind. Someone like him did not deserve to be blind. Never in a million years.
    Slowly I reached my hand across the table to find his, laying it over the warmth of his skin with a small bashful smile.
    "Thanks for coming out with me, Adam." I said while giving his hand a squeeze. I appreciated his company more than I should have after today.

ooc: You've been missed! Just reply when you can. Smile
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:32 am

I felt my small, knowing grin turn into a brilliant beam that seemed to touch my eyes, making them glitter in what I knew to be a dimly lit room, the candle light only enhancing my look as I gazed in Molly’s direction.
    “Don’t worry, you’ve never looked better.” I said, winking at her. My smile dropped just a fraction, but it was probably hardly noticeable to her, because my eyes were still supernovas. I could feel them, more than I could feel the electricity sparking around us in the room. If they could, they would be more than just looking at her. I wanted to look into her.
    However, after a moment, I blinked, face turning toward the window as I listened to the rain pick up from a soft drizzle to a little less than the drops pelting themselves against the glass.

My train of thought was broken when something soft touched my hand.

It took me less than a heartbeat to know she had taken it, however, I still didn’t turn from listening to the rain.
    When I finally spoke, my voice lost all of its velvet charm, instead turning into something soft, low, matching well with the atmosphere in the room. “I could hardly decline such an invitation.” I felt myself smile faintly as I finally turned to face her, a lopsided grin tugging at one of the corners of my mouth. Gently, I grazed her wrist with my thumb, rubbing little circles into it before pulling away. Only because our waiter was back, asking for our orders. If he had not come, I would have probably leapt across the table and kissed her right there.
    Jesus, it was starting to become difficult to control myself around her. She probably didn’t even know the effect she had on me.

I gave the man my order and waited for Molly to do the same before I returned to listening to the rain. That seemed to help against my urge to whisk her out of here right here and now and take her away some place.
    After a moment of searching, my fingers found what they were looking for. They grasped carefully around the bottle as I gently poured each of us a glass, grinning and shaking my head faintly as I remembered my last...adventure that involved Molly and alcohol.
    “Tell me a story, Molly.” I said past the rim of my glass as I took a sip, leaning back casually in my chair. “I’m tired of the mystery, aren’t you?” I said in a playful tone, realizing just how little I knew about this girl across the table from me. At my request for a story, I didn’t know what to expect. A fairy tale she plucked out of the air would just fill time, but what I truly wanted was a bit more insight, a bit more to grasp onto about her.

ooc: Is it just me, or is this place a little more slow than usual? Perhaps everyone is on vacation too, heh.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:49 pm

I couldn't help but laugh when he told me that I'd never looked better. The compliment was flattering to say the very least but there was a somewhat comedic tone to it seeing as he did not know what I looked like nor could he actually see me at this very moment. Still the words were enough to make me blush profusely. No-one had ever put so much effort into complimenting me.
    "I'm just glad you're here.. I hope for more." I said in a quiet voice as I felt his thumb brush over the skin of my wrist in a circular motion. I closed my eyes for a moment, to enjoy the sensation, but it came to an abrupt end when the waiter returned to our table to take our orders.

Somehow even in my distracted state I managed to get an order in and I watched as the man walked away with a bit of a knowing smile on his lips. Like he'd served enough couples to know where we were headed. As I turned my gaze back towards my companion I couldn't help but wonder whether that really was where we were headed.. would we end up as a couple together? The idea seemed farfetched but at the same time it was very much welcomed in my mind.
    I was drawn out of my thoughts by the sound of his voice though and I was forced to blink myself out of my thoughts to answer him.
    A story? He wanted a story?
    When he mentioned the mystery I knew exactly what he was asking for though and I felt a small smile come to my lips.
    "There was once a little girl who never quite seemed to fit anywhere. She'd always have her nose buried in a book off in a corner somewhere. While the rest of the girls her age were out running around with unicorns and dolls, she was busy thinking about the fantastic characters in her novels and wished she could take part in one. Her parents would have said something if not for the fact that once she got into school her teachers acknowledged her as being the smartest girl in the class. So smart in fact that she skipped two grades over the course of her schooling. So life went on for the girl. Her parents were happy, her teachers were happy, but for some reason she wasn't. I turned my head towards the window to take a slow breath, wondering how to continue with my 'story' as it were. In a way I'd never really told anyone about myself in such an indirect yet intimate way. No-one had ever asked for such a thing from me. I was always a ghost among the crowd.
    "Then one day she met someone while she was in high school. The two became the closest of friends in a matter of months and before long, there was more than just friendship between them. However when the girl told her parents about this person, they were horrified. They shunned her and threw her out of their house, telling her that they never wanted to see her again.." I trailed off quietly to take another soft breath.
    "Lost, lonely, and sad she went to the only place she knew would still welcome her in the world. Yet even while with this person she found that she couldn't be happy. So one day she decided to leave on a journey to find herself overseas and... well, how about you ask for the rest of that story in the group session tomorrow? I'm quite tired of the mystery myself." " I turned my gaze back towards Adam with a smile. I knew he probably wanted to hear more but I could not find it in me to continue that story. Not on a night where I wanted to focus on my happiness.

So instead I reached out to pick up my glass of wine to take a sip, letting the fruity flavor rest on my tongue for a few moments before swallowing. It'd been a very long time since the last time I'd had any wine so it was a little bit strange at first but after the third sip I was getting used to the sharp taste.
    All the while I kept my gaze focused on Adam's expression in the hopes of somehow seeing a reaction to what I'd said. Would he be disappointed that I didn't tell him more?
    I hoped not.

ooc: Yeah, things have gotten really slow as of late.. Or at least more so than usual. Haha
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

As she told her story, I felt my face lose its grin, eyes focused on an unfixed spot in my eternal darkness as I listened to her soft voice flutter its way across the table. My body slowly leaned forward, attention rapt within her tale.
    Her voice never faltered when she spoke, I noticed that past the initial story. It never took on any sad, faint quality I was expecting, especially when the story became something more. Her story.

It stopped before it had really even started, just as I was getting pulled into it, just as the outside world was beginning to fade away and all I could think of was her.
    “I’ll be sure to follow up.” I murmured, running a hand through my thick curls before I sighed, putting a faint smile on my face. It wasn’t the kind of smile I gave out often, it was the kind of smile best saved for special occasion, and even more special people. It was soft, soften than her hands, softer than the quiet music flowing through this restaurant. Now, there was no doubt in my mind. I’d fallen, head first into this mess.

I was smiling like I had a secret, and I knew that if I could see her, even just for a second, she would be returning that smile.
    “You’re something, you know? Quite something.” I laughed lightly, leaning back in my chair just as I heard those tell-tale footsteps drawing closer, a bit closer than just a simply passer-by, with the intent clear.
    I leaned back just as the waiter brought us our plates, the smile forming back into my regular grin. Sometimes I did things like that just to faze the people around me. How is it that when a guy can’t see, he somehow just...knows? Knows when someone is smiling, knows when to stop pouring a drink in a fashion that keeps the liquid from spilling over, knows when the waiter is coming with food without even throwing a look over his shoulder?
    Years.
    Years and years of practice, remembering the way things sound and appear without being able to see them.

I took a thoughtful moment to shove a fork full of spaghetti in my mouth, feeling...I...I don’t know. I knew I should feel bad for her, and the way her parents treated her. However, it wasn’t a sad moment. Instead, it was like basking in the glow of the fresh morning sunlight. Getting to know who she was, the way she was slowly letting me in, it was an amazing feeling.
    My grin only grew.
    “Well, you already know most of my story.” I sipped my wine casually, remembering how I’d told bits and pieces of my tale over the past couple days in group. And compared to her...I felt kind of...boring.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:14 pm

I wasn't quite sure what to make of his expression when my story came to an end. He seemed a little bit disappointed when I didn't finish the story off but if he knew the follow-up of what happened next.. He'd understand why I'd stopped when I did. It was the exact point where the story went from somewhat happy to terrifying and tragic in a matter of months resulting in the complete loss of my leg and so much more.
    Soon though the disappointment was replaced by a smile that melted my heart into a puddle. A secret kind of smile that made the butterflies in my stomach flutter uncontrollably. I probably would have reached across the table to take his hand into mine yet again if it weren't for the sudden appearance of the waiter with our food.

I made some room on the table in front of us both as he brought Adam's spaghetti and my Risotto along with another small pitcher of wine for us to top up our glasses with. I thanked the man before he left and we were left alone together yet again. All of the sudden I was aware of my surroundings. The soft patter of the rain, the murmur of voices, and the purring of the music in the background. I let out a quiet sigh as I pulled apart my cutlery so I could dig into my meal which, by the way, smelled fantastic.
    The first bite was heavenly and it took everything I had in me not to just dig in like a pig.. Oh boy I was going to need to work on my manners if I wanted to make myself at least somewhat appealing to the man across from me.

He spoke of my knowing his story and I nodded, though there was no need for it. He was right. From the very first day he walked into class he was very open about what had happened to him and the way in which he'd lost his sight. In a way I envied him for that. He had this sense of..almost understanding behind what happened to him.
    "Well there's no harm in that. I'm glad you have gotten to where you can tell it to complete strangers. Even though you kind of had to, didn't you?" I answered his comment with a smile as I looked across at him over the rim of my wine glass.

I set my glass down for a couple seconds before I leaned forward slightly. For some reason I just felt like being closer to him. Like I could further close our bubble by leaning in. So that everything in the world around us could fade away and we'd be the only two people left on the planet. Perfection at its finest, I thought.
    "You know.. when I'm with you, I almost forget that I lost my leg. " I said in a matter-of-factly voice though there was an undertone of happiness. It was true. I'd completely forgotten that I was not just a normal girl.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

I shrugged sheepishly as she caught me, a soft, boyish laugh escaping my lips. “You got me. The counselors at the Center all have to tell the group their story eventually, I’m just not very good at beating around the bush. Plus, I don’t really mind.” I took another small sip of wine, tilting my head to the side faintly.
    “It was hard at first. I didn’t know if I wanted to shout it from the rooftops that I was blind, or keep it a secret and let people figure it out.” I frowned lightly at the memory, “After a while I found a happy balance. A veil of mystery with a hint of understanding.” I shrugged once more, my frown disappearing, instead my lips returning to their familiar grin.

However, what she said after a few heartbeats of silence made me blink, eyes widening in the way that I knew made me look like a boy again.
    For a few seconds I didn’t know how to respond, but eventually I found the right words, even if they were a bit difficult for my lips to form around. “I-I...” I felt a crimson flush creeping its way up my throat, to my cheeks faintly. “I’m glad.” I laughed kind of awkwardly at how nervous I had become.

Finally I spit it out, “I’m glad I make you feel that way,” My voice was soft, as I set my wine glass down gently so my hand could find hers again, fingertips meeting hers. The word ‘almost’ was what was making it hard for me to think straight.
    Almost.
    My goal for the next couple of weeks, was to change that sentence, just by one word. She didn’t need to feel like she was ‘almost’ anything to me. She was Molly.

Only a few breaths passed before I blinked once more, taking my hand away. I didn’t want to, but now I had come to a new dilemma. I liked her. A lot, actually.
    But what could I say? Hey, let’s be together. You and me, baby.I almost wanted to laugh at the thought, but just a slightly amused grin painted my lips as I tilted my head to the side thoughtfully, listening to the rain once more.
    I had to come up with something to tell her.
    Tonight.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:33 pm

There was so much truth to the words I spoke. He truly did make me feel as if I had both my limbs and that there was not a single thing wrong with me. For a split second I saw us, together, as nothing but a normal couple. A perfectly happy couple. Is that what we looked like to someone who had no idea who we were?
    Just the thought of us looking normal had me smiling the same kind of secret smile he'd had on his lips only he wouldn't have been able to tell. It truly was my little secret and probably for good reason. What would he think of my imagining us as a couple? Probably nothing good..

His reaction to my statement surprised me though. For a while it seemed like he couldn't formulate a response. The way his cheeks flushed made me want to giggle but I held the urge back, watching him with eyes full of admiration. Just the hint of color made him go from handsome to adorable in the deepest degree. It was hard not to melt at the mere sight of him being flustered.
    His wine glass came down and I watched silently as his hand moved towards mine only to take it as I'd taken his earlier. The warmth of his touch was more than welcome.
    "I am too.." I admitted in little more than a whisper as gazed down at our hands. This moment was perfect. One of the times when I could have sworn there was more than just friendship between us that we both felt.

However soon enough his hand pulled away and I let out a quiet involuntary sigh that was quickly silenced. The last thing I wanted him to know was how stupidly infatuated I was by him. My feelings for him were only growing stronger by the minute and I could have sworn soon I was just going to explode from the buildup of emotions inside me.
    It felt like I was going to reach across the table, grab him, kiss him with all my might, and exclaim to the world how much I liked him..
    The mere thought made me blush. I wondered briefly just how soft those lips of his were. No! Molly, no! In the back of my mind I scolded myself for even considering such a thing.. but really, were they as soft as they looked?

To bring my thoughts away from pouncing on him I took another few bites from my food which, without a doubt, was one of the best meals I'd ever had. The Risotto was soft but not too soft, the flavor was like an explosion on the tongue, and the portion was just right for me. I couldn't have been any happier.
    "Do you have any siblings, Adam?" Suddenly I asked him while glancing up from my food. I suppose I wanted to know more about him on a personal level seeing as I already knew the story behind his blindness.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

After a few moments, her voice broke my train of thought: figuring out how to tell her I liked her. Possibly more than just liked her...accompanied by the childish motion of pushing the few remaining noodles around on my plate, wishing I had something for my hands to play with. A habit of sorts, but this hardly seemed like the time to bite my nails or fiddle with a stray curl of hair here or there.
    Blinking, a wide smile flashed across my lips, teeth showing and everything as let my gaze wander from where it was fixed just moments ago (out the window, the harsh patter of rain somehow calming to me) and drifting toward where I knew she was, right across from me.

“Maybe if I had siblings, my parents wouldn’t have fallen off their rockers when the whole eye-thing happened.” I couldn’t help but grin, shaking my head slightly. “Honestly, they lost it.” I took another sip of my wine, kind of wishing I hadn’t said that. The last thing I wanted Molly to think, was that I had a crazy family...even if it was true.
    “Nope, there’s just me.” I said in a more casual tone, “What’s your family like?” I asked absent-mindedly, knowing it was the polite thing to ask, but not really thinking it through.

Until I coughed lightly, feeling my heart just about throw itself into my throat. What the hell, Adam? She just told you that her parents rejected her. Idiot, idiot, idiot.

“I-I mean...uh...siblings?” I tried to cover myself, a small, innocently boyish smile making my features appear like a child who had been caught doing something they hadn’t. Hopefully she would just brush it off, if not, I hoped she knew she could trust me with even the hardest of conversations to bring up.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I was quite surprised to hear that Adam didn't have any siblings but at the same time I could understand what he meant when he told me that his parents had freaked out when he lost his vision. I'm pretty sure my parents would have done the exact same thing if they hadn't been busy shunning me for my choice in sexuality. Though I did get a visit or two from my mother who just wanted to check up on me to make sure I getting treated correctly. Most of the anger about the whole ordeal came from my father actually.
    As I listened to him speak though I couldn't help but smile.
    I liked hearing about his life and his family. They sounded loving, caring, and supportive.

"Smooth.." I commented with a grin and a giggle in response to his attempt at covering up his mistake. In all honesty it was pretty cute of him to try and right what really wasn't much of a mistake at all in my eyes. All I'd told him was that my parents threw me out of the house and nothing more. Besides, I'd automatically assumed he meant siblings in either way so if anything he further brought attention towards what he probably didn't want me focusing on.
    "In any case I've got a little brother who doesn't really know who I am. I got kicked out of the house when he was.. I'd want to say 4 and it's been 5 years since I last saw him." I explained with a shrug of my shoulders.

"But I'm hoping one day my parents might wisen up to the fact that things aren't going to change and they can't keep the two of us apart forever. Though the fact that I've lost a leg might be a little bit frightening to him at first.." I trailed off when I realized I'd been rambling on about nothing in particular. I blinked a few times and smiled.
    "I think I remember you mentioning that you live with someone. What's he like?" I asked with a curious tone as I turned my attention back towards eating. I'd really fallen behind in terms of Adam almost being finished.

Talking at meals was a big problem for me because whenever I was the one speaking, I found it hard to do anything but focus on the words passing my lips. So, like now, I usually ended up being the last one to finish. A bad habit really.
    But for some reason I felt like he wouldn't really mind just sitting around talking with me. At least I hoped not. That was the only thing I wanted to do with him at this point. I wanted to learn more about him in the same way he was going to learn more about me as the group sessions continued and..our relationship, whatever it was, continued.
    So I went about eating the rest of my meal while listening closely to Adam's response.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:25 pm

I felt myself let out a breath of relief when she poked fun at me playfully, a faint smile finding its way to my eyes as I felt them twinkle slightly.
    Part of me wanted to tell her things would be alright, and they were fools for not wanting her in their life, but the other part of me, the wiser part, stopped me before I could open my big mouth. Instead, I finished my glass of wine with a wistful look, voice smoother than the warmth that was creeping it’s way past my fingertips and into my chest.
    “He must be a good kid, the way you ended up.” I said sweetly, sticking to something safe. It wasn’t in my nature to tell people things they already knew, especially such personal things to a girl I had no intention of ever hurting.
    Well, ever hurting again.
    Internally I cringed at the thought of how on edge we both were earlier today, but it quickly subsided as I realized that...I suppose it had all worked out. Even though the world hadn’t come crashing down at my ignorance, I still pushed the thought of ever hurting Molly away, to the farthest part of my mind.

And eventually the conversation found its way to Paul.
    A topic that always made me grin, a whole-hearted laugh passing my lips as I shook my head slightly. “He’s the biggest pain in the ass, but he’s my best friend.” I mirrored her shrug, hearing the sound of fabric rustle in the familiar way whenever she lifted her shoulders.

“His name is Paul, and I might have to keep you two apart for as long as I can.” I leaned forward playfully, wiggling my eyebrows at her, “He has a thing for sweeping beautiful girls off their feet.” I winked, leaning back and adding in a softer, lower tone, tempting her not to even hear it, “Before I get the chance.”

After one or two more glasses of wine, and a few more playful jokes passed to one another, the bill came. Refusing to even think of letting her touch it, I paid. It was a date after all, wasn’t it? The rain had let up to a soft drizzle as we left the small, warm restaurant, and slowly, I took her hand in the rain.
    It was a different motion than what we were both used to, walking arm-in-arm. This was more...intimate. I simply hoped she didn’t mind, along with getting a bit damp as the wind tickled our cheeks.

Too soon, it was, before we were standing on the path of the facility. Gentlemanly, I had stopped before we passed the doors, daring myself to enter the Frederick’s Center, but knowing that if I did, I would be too tempted to stay with her forever.
    The rain had all but soaked my shirt, as I turned to her, stopping and letting my hand drop from hers.
    “Thank you.” I murmured, before I slowly brought my fingers up, to delicately trace the line of her lips. It was the first feature of hers that was now burned into my memory, and felt a thousand times more electric than any kiss could have.
    Although I should have stopped there, I couldn’t bring myself to. Once I had started, it was impossible to stop. Gently, my fingers moved to her soft cupid’s bow, then the curve of her nose. A faint smile tugged on the corners of my lips as I faintly touched her damp eyelashes, gazing down at her with a look that could turn the rain around us to steam.
    I explored every feature until I had her face cupped in my hands, before I leaned down, and gave her a sweet, soft kiss. Her lips were even lovelier than they had felt beneath my fingertips, however, I broke away after a few seconds.

“You are more beautiful than you can imagine.” I murmured against her lips, pressing my forehead against hers before I turned on my heel, disappearing into the rain, the familiar few blocks to my apartment building feeling like years, feeling like eons.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:42 pm

I couldn't help but laugh at Adam's description of his roommate, Paul. There was just so much to be said about a man who could call someone an asshole but at the same time say they were best friends in the same sentence. It was the kind of friendship I could relate to. In the army it had been very much the same thing where greetings were something along the lines of 'hey douche-bag' with a prompt reply of 'long time no see dumb-ass' only for the two parties involved to share a tight embrace only minutes later. It was the best kind of friendship too because it meant the two trusted one another to be there when they need each other most.

"I doubt someone as gorgeous as yourself is going to need to worry about that. The only way he could steal me away would be... I'll have to think long and hard about that one. I don't think there is a way." I replied to his comment about his roommate stealing me away with a giggle. It was the truth though. I'd gotten in much deeper than I ever could have expected.
    My feelings for Adam had increased monumentally over the last couple days and even more so over the last few hours! I mean.. how could they not have?

Before I knew it we were heading out into the drizzling rain together hand in hand just like a couple would. Just the warmth of his hand in mine made everything around me fade away into obscurity. To the point where I almost walked into a street light because I'd been so focused on the sensation.
    A part of me wanted to stop him mid-stride, turn him towards me, and kiss him right then and there in the middle of the sidewalk.
    But I somehow managed to suppress that urge even once we'd gotten back to the facility.

It was there that we stood together much closer than ever before. His fingers found their way to my lips before they spread across the rest of the features of my face. I focused my gaze on his eyes as he 'saw' me for the first time. My cheeks flushed to a deep red color once he finished and I was left with his hands gently cupping my face.
    I almost expected him to kiss me.
    Then he did.
    Words cannot describe how beautiful that moment was between us. Our first kiss. I could do little more than sigh into the softness of his lips until he pulled away and I was left with a tingling warmth where his lips had been.

His compliment only made my cheeks deepen in color but before I could really reply he was gone. Headed back out into the rain and the darkness of the night outside. Probably for the best because I would have stood there for at least another minute in order to get my mind out of its suddenly scattered state.
    "Goodnight.." I managed to call out in a drowsy voice but I doubted he could hear me at all.
    Then, with my heart fluttering in my chest, I headed back towards my room to collapse on my bed. Today had been such a mess yet.. I couldn't have been happier.

After brushing my teeth, pulling off my prosthetic, and lazily changing into some pajamas I climbed back into bed.
    I fell asleep with the tingle of his lips still on mine and his name being the only thing in my mind. I fell asleep happier than I'd ever been before in my whole life. Why was it that things were suddenly going right now? What had I done to deserve a miracle like this?
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:37 am

Bonnie Wright was carefully painting her long, elegantly false nails a deep, crimson red in her room at the facility, sitting on her bed with her back against the wall. Bonnie was one of those girls who looked stunning from a distance, however when one got closer, they could see all of the makeup she used to cover herself up. She was an average, twenty-two year old. Well, she had been before her last relationship. After learning she was pregnant with his child, she ran. However, not after a fair amount of drunken fights and beatings.
    Now she was here.
    Although, Bonnie somehow thought that perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad. She’d already met a handsome man, even if he was her counselor, and even if she knew that some cripple had been making goo-goo eyes at him for the past few lessons.

With wet nails, she slowly brought her hand up to touch her stomach. She was only six weeks in, hardly even a bump was showing, but still she felt like a whale. And her hormones were starting to get out of hand.
    “Why do they call it morning sickness,” She asked the emptiness of her room, “When it happens all freaking day?” She grumbled, with a sigh, looking up through her window at the rain.

Two figures embracing caught her eye, and slowly she stood, squinting and pushing her blinds to the side, her fake-eyelashes twitching as her eyes narrowed into daggers.
    Quickly, she tossed her nail-polish bottle to the floor in a sudden rage, an angry hiss escaping her clenched teeth.
    “No.” She said, “No!” She shouted louder. “She can’t have him!” She screamed, throwing a very Bonnie-esque tantrum as the two figures disappeared.

Ooc: this is only half of my post! Other half in about an hour (:
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 pm

By the time I made my way up the familiar steps and into my apartment, my shoes were squishing and wet, my curls were dripping, and I had a grin permanently tattooed on my lips.
    An unknown tune fluttered around the room as I whistled, tossing my bag onto the couch, and slipping my shoes off, walking over to my room where I took all of my damp clothes off and donned a pair of warm flannel pajama bottoms, keeping my torso bare as I made my way to the kitchen, toweling off my wet hair in a casual motion.

“Someone’s in a good mood.” I heard Paul emerge from his room and push past me playfully to get to the fridge first. I tossed my towel in his direction as a retort, hearing him chuckle faintly as I missed my target
    “Brat.” I muttered, loud enough for him to hear as he started boiling water, exactly what I was going to do. The grin never left my lips.
    Eventually, after we both had our hands around mugs of decaf coffee, and there was a cigarette parting my lips, he mock-punched me in the shoulder.
    “Man, what’s up with you? You’re creepin’ me out.” I could hear the smile in his voice and I rolled my eyes in his direction.

“It’s her.” I shrugged, “The girl.”
    I could hear Paul pause for a second, his voice lowering in the way that made my smile falter for a moment, “Do you mean Soph–”
    “No, idiot.” I raised my hand behind his back, slapping him over the head in a very Three-Stooges fashion. “Her name is Molly. She’s...she’s...” I stood, no longer able to keep in my chair, instead beginning to hover around the kitchen like a satellite in orbit.

“She’s like...” I shook my head, grinning as I could hardly even find words to describe her. I snubbed out my cigarette, tossing my hands over my head in a dramatic gesture. “She’s unlike anyone I’ve ever met!”

I heard Paul fake-whimper in his chair, “Unlike me?” He said in a falsely-hurt tone, “I thought we had something special, Adam.” He cracked up before he could even finish making fun of me, and I whacked him over the head once more, feeling Gordon rub up against my leg affectionately.

I filled Gordon’s bowl a bit too much, scratching him behind the ears as he hopped up on the kitchen counter beside me, watching me put water in his bowl eagerly. “Sorry I left you with Paul last night, buddy.” I spoke to the cat, grinning again as I sipped my coffee.

“Hey, that fur ball loves me more than you, dude.” I heard my roommate call as he made his way back to his own room, closing the door behind him.
    Gordon followed me to my room shortly after, padding his way onto my bed, as I laid back, folding my hands behind me head as I thought about the way Molly’s features felt beneath my fingertips, and the way her lips felt beneath mine.

I remembered how my fingers lingered on the small scar that fell along her right cheek, wishing she could understand how truly, heartbreakingly gorgeous she was. In the way, that she could have small imperfections along her features, like that scar, and those little imperfections were what made her so...beautiful.

I fell asleep in no time, with Gordon making his way to my bare chest and laying there in a fat, fluffy little ball.

I awoke the next morning with Gordon patting at my cheek, and a small sore spot on my chest, no doubt where he had clawed me in the night. As I felt the spot, it appeared to simply be a thin line that had broken the flesh, no more than a couple inches long.
    “Devil-cat.” I called him as he hopped off the bed, patting through my room and out toward the kitchen. I dressed in warmer clothes, with a long jacket in case it rained again today, however, when I found myself walking toward the facility, it was simply a brisk chill, the wind nipping at my nose lightly.

Spoiler:

I was early, as I sat in my normal seat amongst the ring of chairs in the group therapy room, stretching my long legs out and running my hands through my hair excitedly. I couldn’t wait to hear Molly’s voice, to hear her laugh or the sound of her smile. It was unbearable waiting.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 pm

I had been asleep four maybe five hours when I woke up and even between the hours I could remember stirring out of my dreams. I simply couldn't stay asleep. Not after a day like yesterday. Yet when I turned onto my back to wake up fully I found that I wasn't all that tired. Everything that had happened was still running through my mind like a movie. In fact it felt like my life had turned into the plot of a romance movie! The very kind of chick-flick I would never have been caught dead watching on my own.
    From the moment my eyes opened though there was a huge smile on my lips I simply could not shake away.
    Life was wonderful!

I turned my head sideways to look at the clock on my bedside table and I noted it was still early in the morning. I didn't have to be at the group session for another few hours. With a sigh I pulled myself up and turned so I could hang my leg over the edge of the bed, glancing around the dark room. How had I ended up here? What were the chances of me going to a facility like this? Had my parents not insisted I get some help.. would I have ever met Adam?
    I doubted it.
    For that reason I found myself thanking my parents from the very bottom of my heart despite everything they'd done to me.

My gaze slowly fell down towards my right leg or rather what was of my leg. Though I could only see the outline of it, I knew exactly what it looked like in the light. The first few weeks after getting home from the hospital I'd been horrified by the way it looked. As it had only begun to heal the whole stump was pink, disfigured, and ugly. Thankfully as the months went by and the leg healed I was left with a surprisingly clean little stump. The only remains of the operation that took my leg is a single white scar that lines the curve where the skin healed perfectly.
    I was lucky and for that I was happy.

I turned my head back towards the clock only to find that two hours had passed and I was suddenly going to have to rush if I wanted to make it to the session on time. I pulled myself out of bed and hop-skipped my way across the room to my dresser where I pulled out a fresh pair of undergarments, black cargo shorts like the ones I'd worn the day before, and a light blue v-neck shirt with a little cartoon kitten on the front. For some reason I felt like my usual dark colors weren't fit for such a wonderful day.
    I wanted my clothing to be as bright and happy as I felt on the inside!

In about ten minutes flat I was heading out into the hall with a smile on my face and what was as close to a skip in my walk as I could get without falling over. By the time I got to the session room my heart was racing in my chest. How was I supposed to act around him now?
    I realized, with a bit of disappointment but understanding as well, that I was going to have to act as if nothing was going on between us. It would be unprofessional for him to display and kind of affection or liking of one member of the group in specific.
    We would have our moments together when the group wasn't together.

Still, I couldn't help but smile as I walked into the room and seated myself in my usual spot. A couple of the members greeted me cheerfully and I returned their greetings with equal cheer which, funnily enough, seemed to surprise one or two of them. I suppose I'd been a little somber up to this point, huh? Even as I spoke to the others though I noticed two things. One, that I couldn't stop stealing glances towards Adam and two, that Bonnie was shooting me gazes filled with daggers.
    The first made perfect sense of course but the second caught me a little off guard. What had I done to her?

Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:06 pm

Eventually, people began to file into the room. A few early, a couple late. Molly being one of the last ones, and I couldn’t help but feel the side of my mouth curl up in a knowing smile as she sat down across the circle from me, in her usual spot.
    Once everyone had arrived, I clasped my hands together, the sound echoing around the room in a warm, open fashion. “Alright, I’d like to start out this class with an exercise.” I said, standing slowly and listening as the others did the same.

Then, carefully, I sat on the ground and waited for them to follow.
    “There are no rules to this exercise. If you feel the impulse to stand up, or sit, or move around the room, no one will stop you. I want you all to feel comfortable with each other in this space.” I said softly, but to my surprise, no one moved.
    Moments of silence passed, but they weren’t at all uncomfortable. “When you’re ready, I want you to turn to someone and tell them something truthful. It could be something as simple as what you had for breakfast, or something as personal as...as...getting dumped.” I shrugged lightly, “As long as it’s the truth, it doesn’t matter.”

Only a heartbeat passed before I added, in a more serious tone, “Actually, I must insist on one rule. No judgement. And please, try not to speak over one another. Listen to each other, if one person talks...they are what you focus on.” I finished with a polite smile, and waited for someone to start.

It was Ken, who was sitting next to the woman who had previously attempted suicide. The room was silent as he spoke, “Once, when I was six years old, I kissed one of my friends. It was just one of those goofy things that kids do, it didn’t mean anything. He was my neighbor, and after that, his parents wouldn’t let me play with him anymore.”

The room was silent once more, until Anita spoke, to me. “When I was sixteen, I got pregnant by accident. My friend Jackie took me for an abortion...it’s kind of funny, now, because on the rare occasion that I do get pregnant....” She trailed off, and her half-hearted laugh kind of sounded like a sob. I grasped her shoulder.

I heard a faint nose on the other side of the circle, the sound of Bonnie scoffing. Which quickly turned into a cough. Nice cover, I thought, face turning ghostly neutral as I forced myself not to frown in her direction.
    The confessions proceeded, along with a few simple truths. I had fruit loops for breakfast, my dog’s name is Harley, things like that. I appreciated the patients who gave honest answers, until I was the only one who hadn’t given a confession...even when some of the group had given two or three.

I cleared my throat slightly, running a hand through my hair as I felt the familiar scarlet blush creep up to my collar bone, past the scratch Gordon had given me last night, toward my cheeks.
    “I think I have a crush.” I told the group, drawing one of my legs up to hug it, when the other leg stayed where it was, stretched out toward the middle of the circle. “Which sounds silly, because I thought only twelve-year-old girls got crushes. But...it’s nice, yenno?” I grinned toward everyone in the circle boyishly, getting a few laughs. “It’s nice to feel like someone wants you. And it’s nice to want someone in return.” I paused, standing and returning to my chair in the circle.

“I hope all of you know, that you can be honest with me, and with everyone here. Thank you for sharing things that were painful, and things that were joyous. They will not be forgotten.” My voice had taken on that strong quality it usually did whenever I got into leader-mode. The electricity could be felt in the air, and I heard the others return to their chairs, some simply standing as they heard me beginning to wrap up the first half.

“Break.” I said with a soft smile, stretching my arms high above my head as they began to form small-talk amongst themselves, making their way to the door.
    Footsteps approached me, and I held a sweet smile on my face as I looked in their direction, one hand raising slightly, as I searched for her hand.
    However, my hand dropped as suddenly as my smile when the voice was unfamiliar. As unfamiliar, now I realized, as the sound of her stride.

“Hi, Adam.” Bonnie purred, her voice sounding sickly-sweet, mixed with her cotton candy perfume. “That was super cute, how you said you had a crush.” A soft giggle met my ears.

“Erm, thank you, Bonnie.” I replied, side-stepping her and slinging my bag over one shoulder, feeling her hand on my chest and stopping suddenly. “Wha –”
    She cut me off, “Do you like Chinese food? I know this really cute restaurant on the east side. It has the cutest little lanterns, and such adorable little chopsticks.”

I stumbled back a step, before I made my way to the door, calling over my shoulder to her, “It sounds very...cute.”
    An exasperated sigh escaped my lips as I nearly ran toward the Lounge for a much needed cigarette, sinking into my familiar leather chair, and lighting my smoke in one quick motion.
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 pm

The group session began very much the way the previous sessions had begun. Adam addressed the group as a whole and told us about an activity he wanted us to carry out. Of course everyone did as they were told and stood up to follow the example of their leader. Though when they were given the choice most of them just remained standing in the main form of the circle. After a second or two I adjusted my step just a little bit, for more balance, but I too remained standing up in a relaxed stance. I didn't mind standing if it meant that I could be at eye-level with the others. I liked this exercise because it brought us together as a group.

It's funny how even the smallest of things can be interesting and new when coming from someone you hardly know. I found a smile came to my lips when Ken told the story about kissing a friend of his back when he was a kid, a story I could very much relate to. While an understanding neutrality came to my face when Anita shared a story of her own.
    I actually found it quite hard to judge any of the stories that were brought forth seeing as many of them were simple truths. Just one person telling something to another.
    Some of the truths were quite funny, like the fruit loops for breakfast. I couldn't help but giggle at the simplicity yet the depth beneath just a simple act.

When it came around to my turn I needed to take a moment to think of some kind of truth. I frowned slightly in thought before I came up with something that I knew would mix in with the rest of the things that had been said.
    "When I was younger I won so many of the spelling bee's at my school that they stopped letting me join because they wanted to give other students a chance." I grinned sheepishly as I shared this little fact about myself. I'd almost completely forgotten about that moment of my life.

Soon it came down to Adam's turn. There was a sense of anticipation in the room as he took a few moments before he shared the fact that he had a crush. Immediately there was a buzz in the room, like a bunch of school girls cooing at some newfound gossip.
    Somehow I managed to keep my cheeks from flushing the same deep red color his cheeks had turned. Which, really, was a miracle seeing as I knew the truth behind his statement while the others didn't.
    True to the past my heart began to flutter and it was a wonder I didn't let out a dreamy sigh.

Thankfully I caught a break, literally, when he dismissed us for our usual 10 minute pause between halves of the sessions. As much as I wanted to walk over to him and pull him into a tight hug, I noticed that Bonnie was making her way towards Adam with an air of... intention. I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the look on her face.
    However because she wanted to speak to him I knew I could not exactly stop her. He was her counselor just the same as he was mine after all.
    So I tried to bite back my worry and headed out into the hallway towards the lounge.

Once I got there I settled myself down in the leather chair next to Adam's where I knew he would most likely end up once he was done speaking to Bonnie. A few minutes and half a cigarette later the door opened and in walked the man I'd come to crush on so hard I could have sworn he was just a dream.
    Though he looked almost upset and the way he plunked himself down in the chair next to me made me wonder what exactly had happened.
    I gave him a moment to light his own cigarette, taking a quick drag out of my own, before I turned my head to face him.
    "You alright?" I asked quietly with a bit of a worried tone while glancing across the room. We were the only ones who ever seemed to end up here whenever break time came around.
    Avalon
    Avalon

Post by Avalon Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:03 am

When Molly spoke, that oh-so-familiar warmth made my chest heavy, and I smiled past my cigarette. Perhaps Bonnie didn’t mean to be so...scary, but she was just one of those girls. One of those girls in high school that would snicker at everything the beefcake jocks would say, one of those girls who wore too much perfume and too little clothes, when she hardly needed to.
    “Yeah.” Was my brilliant answer to Molly, adding, “Bonnie asked me to go to dinner some time.” I shrugged one of my shoulders, trying to play it cool, but I knew she could see the way my smile faltered slightly.

With a sigh, I leaned forward to rest my elbows on my knees, feeling...unsure of what to say now that it was just her and I. Hey, that kiss last night, eh? Really something.
    Was I even supposed to bring it up? Did she like it? Perhaps she didn’t want me to kiss her, then I’d be in a boatload of trouble.
    “I have a few words for you, Ms. Spelling Bee Champ.” I said after a few silent drags of my smoke, leaning in her direction and tilting my head to the side faintly, cocking one of my eyebrows up playfully as I thought of a word difficult enough, but also one that suited her.
    “Pulchritudinous.”

The word tasted strange on my lips, like all of those large, hardly pronounceable words that seem odd to use in normal conversation.
    “It means beautiful.” I had no doubt that she knew what it meant, but I liked adding that. I liked calling her beautiful...I should have said that in my truthful confession just moments ago.

I gave her that secret half-smile that had become familiar to my features, before it dropped slightly a few seconds after, voice losing its playful lit, and taking on a kind of worried tone as my eyebrows knitted together and my gaze drifted toward the ground.
    “I think Bonnie is struggling.” I said in a quiet voice, the kind of voice that held weight, the kind of tone that said ‘this is for your ears only’, not that I had any suspicion that Molly was a blabber mouth.

“She needs someone, and...and I don’t think I’m the right person.” I snuffed out my cigarette in the ash tray, standing a second later and awkwardly placing one hand on the back of my neck, eyes widening faintly as I chewed on the insides of my cheeks for a moment. Then I turned to her, “Do you think you could talk to her? She just needs a friend...I think.” I placed my hand forward to her, wanting to feel her touch, and also wanting to get back to the group.
    The familiar playful tone softened my features as I grinned down at her, adding, “I could be wrong, girls are such strange creatures.”
    Dream Rationally
    Dream Rationally

Post by Dream Rationally Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:57 am

As I sat there waiting for his answer I couldn't help but wonder what could have been causing him so much stress. I mean there was always the possibility of it being the responsibility over such a large group of people but by the way he was slouched over I knew there was something else. What he told me was one of the last things I'd expected to hear though.
    She'd asked him to dinner? Why would she do that? Did she not know..
    It was at that moment I realized that, of course, there was no way of her knowing that Adam and I were a thing. I suddenly felt very guilty for the flash of jealousy that had come to the very back of my consciousness.

I turned my gaze down towards the ground as I tried to think of a way to reply without sounding like I was an over-bearing wife or something. However before I could think of anything he'd continued on to his next thought and I was distracted away from my own thoughts.
    His word made me laugh and give him a playful little punch on the arm for making fun of me. Of course, it was pretty easy to make fun of me. How many people could say they had a whole wall decorated with spelling bee awards?
    "I know what it means!" I said in a tone of mock-hurt before I paused. "...P-u-l-c-h-r-i-t-u-d-i-n-o-u-s" I added with a giggle.

Even though he couldn't see it I could have sworn he was going to feel the heat radiating from the blush on my cheeks. No-one, at least not in what felt like absolute years, had ever called me beautiful. Yet here he was almost repeating it every other day.
    It was new and surprising but by no means was it bad. If anything it made me feel a little bit strange. Strange in the sense that I'd never had such strong feelings for one person before in my life. Feelings so strong they were hard to describe without using that four letter word that so many people were afraid of.

"Huh? Oh.. alright, yeah, I'll have a word with her." I replied as I was drawn out of my blush-deepening thoughts. I'd only been half-listening but I'd caught more or less what he wanted me to do. For some reason or other though I felt like this wasn't going to be the best of ideas.
    Yet at the same time I hoped that it might help her. The fact that she was fighting the help the group had to offer was clear as day to me.. but the glares I got from her made me wonder whether I was the best person to speak to her.
    Still, I wanted to help Adam as much as I could.

My hand found Adam's and I slipped my fingers through his, squeezing his hand gently with them. After giving the lounge another quick glance around, to make sure no-one was in the room with us, I leaned across and gave him a soft little kiss on the lips. A kind of reassuring kiss that was meant to calm him down a little bit.
    "Everything will be fine. Let's get back, okay?" I murmured quietly as I pulled away with a smile.
    I stood and helped him up before heading towards the door to the hallway. Reluctantly I let go of his hand but I knew it wouldn't be long before we'd be together again..at least I hoped.
    "And believe me, I hardly understand them myself." I added as we walked down the hallway and into the classroom.

(It's unnatural for people to be up so early on a Sunday! >_<)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:31 am