Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+3
Skye
Mercy
Murdoch
7 posters

Wheel of Time: Darkness Falls

Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Read Me Wheel of Time: Darkness Falls

Post by Murdoch Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:00 pm

First topic message reminder :

This is an RP based on The Wheel of Time. It takes place three years after the Aiel War, when the Aiel (the warrior tribes from the Aiel Wastes, across The Spine of The World mountains) are retreating to their homes. The set-up is…long, to say the least, but it IS important. This is a whole world, and I need to condense it as much as humanly possible…bear with me please.

Only serious Rpers, please. I plan to have this go on for a while, and I plan for this to have a story line of sorts. I would like this to stay alive past on night. You must also be willing to read. A lot.
    However, you can skim. I don’t expect you to read every last bit. You can skip the background if you wish, but I suggest at least half-reading it. You can skip the bit about The One Power if you don’t plan on being able to use “magic”, but I suggest you read about the Aes Sedai and the Whitecloaks.

Background:
    At the dawn of time, The Creator forged the universe and the Wheel of Time which, as it turns, spins all lives. The Wheel has seven spokes, each representing an age, and it rotates under the One Power, which flows from the True Source. Essentially composed of male and female halves (saidin and saidar) in opposition and in unison, this power turns the Wheel. Those humans who can use this power are known as Channelers; the principal organization of such Channelers in the books is called the Aes Sedai or 'Servants of All' in the Old Tongue.

The Creator imprisoned its antithesis, Shai'tan, at the moment of creation, sealing him away from the Wheel. However, in a time called the Age of Legends, an Aes Sedai experiment inadvertently breached the Dark One's prison, allowing his influence to seep back into the world. He rallied the powerful, the corrupt and the ambitious to his cause and these servants began an effort to free the Dark One fully from his prison, so he might remake time and reality in his own image. In response to this threat, the Wheel spun out the Dragon, a channeler of immense power, to be a champion for the Light. In the Age of Legends Lews Therin Telamon was named the Dragon, who eventually rose to command the Aes Sedai and their allies in the struggle against the Dark One's forces. After a grueling ten-year war, which began a century after the Dark One's prison was breached, Telamon led his forces to victory in a daring assault on the site of the earthly link to the Dark One's prison, and was able to seal it off, his highest and most powerful subjects, The Forsaken- 13 men and women who swore themselves to Shai’tan- being sealed away at the same time.

However, at this moment of victory the Dark One tainted saidin, driving male channelers of the One Power insane. The male channelers devastated the world with the One Power, unleashing earthquakes and tidal waves that reshaped the planet, referred to in subsequent ages as "The Breaking of the World." Their leader, Lews Therin, killed his friends, his family, and everyone in any way related to him and finally himself in his insanity thus gaining the epithet Kinslayer. Eventually, the last male Aes Sedai was killed or cut off from the One Power, leaving the human race all but destroyed and only women able to wield the One Power safely.

The Aes Sedai reconstituted and guided humanity out of this dark time. Mankind now lived under the shadow of a prophecy that the Dark One would break free from his prison and the Dragon would be reborn to face him once more, raining destruction upon the world in the process of saving it from the Dark One.

Over the next three and a half thousand years, the human race returns to a level of technology and culture roughly comparable to that of the 18th century (although without military use of gunpowder and without formalized science, the development of both playing a part in the story), with the difference that women enjoy full equality with men in most societies, and are superior in some. This is put down to the power and influence of the female-only Aes Sedai spilling over into everyday life. Several major wars have ravaged the main continent since the defeat of the Dark One, such as the Trolloc Wars, when the surviving servants of the Dark One tried to destroy civilization once more but were defeated by an alliance of nations led by the Aes Sedai; and the War of the Hundred Years, a devastating civil war that followed the fall of a continent-spanning empire ruled by the High King, Artur Hawkwing.

These wars have prevented the human race from regaining the power and high technology of the Age of Legends, and also left humanity divided. Even the prestige of the Aes Sedai has fallen, with their shrinking numbers and the emergence of organizations such as the Children of the Light, a militant order who hold that all who dabble with the One Power are servants of the Shadow.

The nations of the modern era are able to unite against the warrior-clans of the Aiel, who cross into the western kingdoms on a mission of vengeance after they suffered a grievous insult, but are too divided to work effectively together in other areas. Over the Ages, there have been “False Dragons”, who all claim to be The Dragon Reborn. Each one has either been killed or “Gentled”, if they could indeed Channel, by the White Tower, the seat of Aes Sedai power in the city of Tar Valon.

Now, this may take you a while to read, but its important. I cannot stress enough how important this is to those that wish to use magic.

The One Power:
    The One Power is divided into male and female halves, saidin and saidar respectively, that work both with and against each other to drive the Wheel of Time. The True Source cannot be consumed by channellers, as a river cannot be consumed by a waterwheel. Each half of the One Power is able to be used only by people of the associated sex, and men and women have very different experiences in channeling.

The One Power is basically magic, and using too much of it at once can either kill you or “Still” you, which is what being cut off from the True Source is called- you can sense it, but you cannot touch it. Females surrender to Saidar, surrender and merely guide it to what they wish it to do- they compare it to a flower opening towards Saidar, absorbing, releasing and guiding the flow- whilst Males have to fight Saidin.

They fight it with every fibre of their being to prevent it from overwhelming them, fight to control it. As it is, Males that can channel are rare, as any male that channels is doomed to go mad and kill and destroy until he is either killed, “gentled” (What the Aes Sedai call stilling a man) or dies himself, although times vary from two years to over ten. Aes Sedai hunt these men and Gentle them to prevent them from causing destruction.

Angreal are artifacts which enable its users to draw more of the One Power than they would normally be able to. Angreal also protect them from drawing enough Power to burn themselves out.

Sa'angreal are identical to angreal, except that they allow the user to draw more Power than even an angreal can handle. Ter'angreal are objects of the One Power that perform specific functions. Some ter'angreal do not require the One Power to be used for their activation. The techniques the ancient Aes Sedai used to create angreal, sa'angreal, and ter'angreal has long been forgotten to the White Tower.

Not everyone has the ability to "channel" the One Power. Most men and women cannot reach it at all; of those who can, most must be taught to access it to varying extents, and can go their entire lives without touching (or even knowing they can touch) the Source. Generally those on the main continent find out when Aes Sedai, visit their town on a recruiting trip. Aes Sedai visitors also search for the few channelers who are born with "the spark," an innate gift that will inevitably lead them to touch the Source. If left untrained, these gifted channelers often die without ever gaining control over their innate ability; the Aes Sedai estimate the mortality rate at 75% or more.

Those who survive, called "wilders" by the Aes Sedai, do not realize that they have channeled, only that "things happen" if they want them to. To aid in this self-deception, they often develop a "block," an instinctive self-preservation behavior that keeps them from channeling in all but exceptional circumstances. Known blocks include only being able to channel while angry, in the presence of men, with one's eyes closed, and so on. These blocks can be eventually overcome, but only after significant and sometimes drastic counseling.

Ok, now I know this may take you a while as well, but is ultimately important. These are the main factions that I feel you need describing, and the rules for you being one:

--Aes Sedai, Women only (you can just skim this if you aren‘t going to be Aes Sedai. If you want to be Aes Sedai, you MUST read this) : The Aes Sedai are the women who can channel. Their base is in the White Tower in tar Valon, and they go in three stages: Novices are the lowest. They are basically servants with no pay as they also attend lessons in self-control, politics, history etc. They wear grey. Accepted are slightly higher then Novices, and are occasionally allowed out of the tower. They wear white, and the great serpent ring on their ring finger on their right hand. Aes Sedai wear whatever they want, with a formal shawl in their Ajahs colours. They can wear their ring wherever they want, and can come and go as they please. They are split into seven Ajah’s: The Blue Ajah involve themselves with causes and justice, and are always calm and expert manipulators.

The Blue Ajah is the second smallest one, but it has the most extensive network of eyes-and-ears (spies), and are the second smallest. The White Ajah devotes itself to questions of philosophy and truth, are all coldly logical (they don’t show emotion. Ever. And they always ALWAYS think things through logically) and is the smallest Ajah. The Brown Ajah forsakes the mundane world and dedicates itself to seeking knowledge, and they are always far-off and bookwormy. They can’t focus on one thing for very long.

The Gray are mediators, seeking harmony and consensus. The red Ajah bends its energies to finding men who can channel and gentling them. Although women cannot detect saidin, they can read the residue of the weaves and that is their primary tool for tracking- they don’t like men (so as such do NOT have warders), and although all Aes Sedai don’t like men who channel, and ‘take care’ of them, Reds HATE men who can channel.

The Green (called the Battle Ajah, during the Trolloc Wars) holds itself ready for Tarmon Gai'don (the Final Battle, where the Dragon reborn will fight the Dark One for the sake of the world), they also are a BIG fan of men (besides those who can channel), and as such they usually have two or three Warders. The Yellow concentrates on the study of Healing. There is an eighth Ajah, although the Aes Sedai deny it, called the Black Ajah. The Black Ajah is dedicated to the service of the Dark One- there are some in every Ajah, undercover.

The Aes Sedai all take three oaths, bound to them by a Ter‘angreal: To never speak a word that is not true (although the truth you hear may not be the truth they mean), to never make a weapon for man to kill other men, and to never use the power as weapon except against Shadowspawn, in defence of their life, their warders or another sisters life (Sister is what they call fellow Aes Sedai). These oaths are unbreakable, save by the Black Ajah, who have sworn new oaths to The Dark One. The Aes Sedai MUST be skilled manipulators and cunning wordsmiths, and must not bat an eyelid at using people for their own ends. That is Compulsory.

--The Warders (male only) : The Warders are Blademasters of the highest calibre, the greatest warriors in the world. Every Full Aes Sedai has one (except the Red Ajah, who don’t have them, and the Green Ajah, who have several, some even marrying one of their Warders). If you are to be a Warder, please set out an Aes Sedai to follow- as a Warder, you must follow your bonded Aes Sedai to keep her safe from harm- whether it be an NPC or a player (I recommend the latter). The Warder feels a portion of whatever the Aes Sedai feels (and vice versa- whether it be pain, pleasure, sorrow, anger, etc) and the Aes Sedai can “Compel” the Warder to do something via the bond, which forces them to do it. This is rarely used. Although very good at sword craft, the Warders are hardly invincible.

--Whitecloaks (Generally males) : The Whitecloaks are against ALL uses of The One Power. They see all Aes Sedai and male channelers as Darkfriends (humans that worship The Dark One), and have sworn to exterminate all those that can channel. They always wear a white and Gold uniform-and-cloak, with a Golden Sunburst on their chest. There are also the “Questioners”, who are unpopular even amongst the Whitecloaks, their symbol being the Golden sunburst with a scarlet shepherds crook behind it.

They question for “guilt”, and torture for confessions….even if the accused has nothing to confess. After enough torture, one will confess anything. The Whitecloaks real name is “The Children of The Light”, the Questioners name being “The Hand of the Light”, but people never use those names, referring to them as their slang…not to their faces, of course. Never to their faces. They swagger about and are generally zealous and arrogant.
    Whitecloaks generally don’t like Questioners, and refer to them by their slang name rather then their formal name- to their backs, at least. Even a Child of The Light is not safe from The Hand of The Lights. Questioners don’t have friends. They are suspicious of everyone and everything.

--Darkfriends: those that worship the Dark One, whom they call “The Great Lord of the Dark”. (the Dark Ones name is Shai’tan, but saying it is classed as the WORST luck ever, so it is NEVER- I repeat, NEVER- used).

Ok….that’s it then. That’s the background and what you need to know for the purposes of this RP. The roles that are prohibited are as followed:

--The Forsaken: There are only thirteen, and they are trapped within the Dark Ones prison. They have appearances and personalities that are defined in the books, so…yeah.

--The Amyrlin Seat: The leader of the White Tower Aes Sedai. For various reasons, chief among her being a named character in the book.

--King/queen of Murandy/Tarabon/Andor/Cairhein/High Lords of Tear: They have surprisingly little freedom, and, again, are all named characters in the book.

--Rand al’Thor, Mattrim Cauthorn, Perrin: Main characters in the books. Only just born.

--Moiraine/any named Aes Sedai: Obvious reasons.

--Pedron Niall: Leader of the Children of Light, the “Whitecloaks”, he’s a named character.

--The Dark One/The Creator: You can’t be these two for obvious reasons.

Roles I would advise against:

--Trollocs: Beastial half men, they are not intelligent. At all. They fight and eat. That’s it.

--Myrddraal/Fades/sightless, etc: Whilst just as intelligent as humans, you get no choice with your personality, appearance or motives. They all look the same and act the same, and all serve the Dark One (Shai’tan)

--Aiel: One of the retreating Aiel (returning to the wastes after their goal was complete). They don’t like “wetlanders”. They will be attacked wherever they go, their ways are too complex to explain, etc.

--Any Lord or Lady: They get very little freedom. If you want to be a noble of a lesser house from Andor, Cairhein, Tear, Murandy, etc. then let me know. I just advise against it, is all.

Ok, now that’s over and done with, roles that I suggest need filling:

--Soldiers that fought against Aiel before Tar Valon (note: you think the Aiel left because you beat them.) :
    Murdoch and Bryan (me)

--Soldiers (other. EG. Royal guard, local police, etc) :

--Peasants (please specify sub-role, eg farmer, Fletcher, blacksmith) :

-Lacey, ordinary girl, father works at local inn.

--Merchants (please specify sub-type, eg fabrics, tobacco, food, etc) :

--Warders (note: You MUST have an Aes Sedai NPC along with you, or another Rper to be your Aes Sedai)

-Gabriel, Skye's warder [Brandon]

--Aes Sedai (Please specify Ajah. I would only like one per Ajah, please, and at least one Red, and unless you‘re red, you must have at least One Warder. I would like to start with a maximum of three, but that can expand after a while) :

-Skye (Shuyler), Yellow Ajah.
    -Kristie, new Aes Sedai, Green Ajah.
    -Capri, Red Ajah

--Novices:

--Accepted:

--Men who can channel (Two only, please, and specify how long you‘ve known you can channel) :
    Bryan, 10 years (me)

--Wilders (Three max please) :

--Whitecloaks:

Rowan [Howl}

--Whitecloak Questioners:

--Other (please specify) :
    Murdoch, soldier (mercenary) (me)

The Rules:
    No Godmodding.
    No leaving without announcing
    I will try to bend to allow you in…but I won’t change the rules completely.
    Please try to stay within the rules of magic here.
    Have fun

There are rules about the One Power (I won‘t go into depth, these are just generally) : Death can’t be healed, and there are some wounds that can’t be healed. The energy that is required for healing always comes from the patient. You can lift others, but it is the hardest to do, and varies according to your strength in The Power. You can shield, and be shielded, from the power, stopping your channelling immediately, by another wielder. How easily depends on your strength, and cutting off someone already channelling is harder then cutting someone off who isn‘t.

13 Aes Sedai can “link“, combining their powers, but men need a woman to link them. Conversely, 13 Aes Sedai need a man to take the link to 27, then another to take it to 41, etc. Men are stronger in the power individually to women, though. Men who channel are doomed to go mad as the taint of the Dark One seeps into their mind- when they go mad varies. It could be ten years, it could be ten days; it does, however, depend on how often they use Saidin.

Women who can channel can’t detect men channelling, but men who can channel get a tingly feeling on their arm when women channel. Women who Channel can detect other women channelling, just as men who channel can detect other men channelling. For both genders, seeing the same sex channel is like seeing a glow, an aura around them. Women who have been Aes Sedai for a while can detect women who can channel, whether or not they’re channelling at that moment.

There is a weaving (what they call spells) that can detect men’s channelling, and that’s what the Red Ajah use. Most men who can Channel can overwhelm an Aes Sedai one-on-one, and usually require two or three Aes Sedai linked to defeat him and shield him. Rand Al’thor, Mazrim Taim and Logain all require at least five Aes Sedai to overwhelm, six at most. I will step in if you go too far with the power.

I will explain the rules of enemies as they appear (Eg. Trollocs, Myrdraal, Grey Men, Draghkar, etc.) You can make up other creatures, bandits, etc.
    You may have up to two other characters under your control (Unless you’re green Ajah, then you can have a max of four Warders)

Now, for the setting:
    It's a small hamlet in the north of Andor. There is a blacksmith, a stables, three inns and a large collection of houses, but besides that it's barely classed as a town. It's small and out of the way, and that is where we start. You can be passing through, running from something or just living there. Murdoch and Brian are both living there and have been for a year, since Brian managed to escape the Red Ajah that were hunting him. They first grew suspicious during a series of suspicious events during the final battle of the Aiel War, and set off in pursuit after Murdoch and Brian. Murdoch and Brian escaped, settling down for the past year.
    Now, Red Ajah Aes Sedai have arrived in town, asking after Murdoch and, more specifically, Brian. (When I say, lol). There have also been rumours of Trollocs in the area...what will happen?

Last edited by Murdoch on Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:45 pm; edited 10 times in total
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Read Me Re: Wheel of Time: Darkness Falls

Post by Burn It Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Alright, so, here's my suggestion.

Murdoch going South was specifically to go in the opposite direction of us, SO, we'll say we were in the Northern fields. But, again, we obviously want a clue as to where you've headed, cause, umm.. We're hunting you.. Using common knowledge, we figure you'll flee to a place safe from us - Amadicia. So, not seeing you at the moment, we begin South. (Which I'll state in a post, cause I needa post >.> I feel bad.)

Or not, and we just.. I donno.
    I just wanna post damnit >.>
    Skye
    Skye

Post by Skye Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:20 pm

ooc: I think we should do that, Kristie. If Murdoch wants to object we can change/edit our posts.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 pm

Okay. Murdoch, yes, if you object, then let us know and we'll change. It won't be an issue.

1 moment, writing post.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 pm

OOC- God I hope this makes sense..

BIC-
    Kristie:
    I nodded, agreeing with Capri’s statement. They would, without a doubt be leaving the village as we speak, God knows how far by now. The possibility of them staying here, leaving us to assume they’d left and be on our ways was a high risk, one that knowing, these men would not take. After the Whitecloaks showing up, playing on risk is a certain death card. “They will be not hide, and are most likely not running random. They’ll be somewhere certain that they can rest after traveling, somewhere of high safety from us. The forest area around this village is huge, and goes for miles. They could have gone in any direction, all depending on just where they’ve chosen that place to be.” I said to the group.

Justin:
    Thinking to what was being said, I couldn’t think of a known place where they could be completely, or almost completely safe. Even a lodge in the forest was a risk, and would stand out should it be patrolled. The area, and village we were in was my first time here, I did not know the land or it’s surrounding cities and towns. A city? A big place like that could be appealing to a couple of men being hunted down. “Are there any major cities, or large towns that they would flee to?”

Kristie:
    “None East, it’s open land mass for miles and miles. It’d take them at least a day or two to get anywhere civilized. There is one the way we came from, but I highly doubt they could travel that way, too many Aes Sedai patrol it. Capri, Skye, Gabriel, any you can think of?”
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:04 am

ooc: That is perfectly fine; I'm planning an event that will lead everyone back to the village soon anyway, so don't find him just yet. This will also get Lacey and the Whitecloaks back involved, if howl hasn't left.
    Also, I have a couple of maps for you guys:
    https://2img.net/h/i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/ninjabreadman1993/WheelofTimeMapFinal.jpg Thats the ordinary map with all the important cities and city states in it.
    This one: https://2img.net/h/i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/ninjabreadman1993/WOTBordermap.png is the border map. I am in the middle of changing it to say which country is which, so I will repost the link when I have done so. Smile
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:36 am

Capri
    Capri
    The Zealous Irish-Italian

Post by Capri Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Capri sighed, lifting her head to look at the horizon. The sun was setting, casting colors of orange and purple across the fields. The light reflected eerily in her large eyes.

"Like you said," Capri said, pulling her cloak closer around her neck, "To the North, just land. But directly to the South, Murandy and Illian. A little to the Southwest, Altara, Ghealdan, and Amadica. and even farther to the West, Tarabon. Now, it's obvious that the Whitecloaks are here, and frankly, I'm surprised they aren't on our tails at the moment." she added, casually glancing behind her a the dirt road.

"But they are all over in Amadica. These men know that the Whitecloaks are always after Aes Sedai. And the men are trying to flee from us, correct? So wouldn't you all go somewhere where your enemies would have trouble entering. We musn't underestimate these men, for they are probably good at strategical moves. But, we are that way also, and are not outsmarted easily."

Sighing again, her hands went to her horse's black, shiny mane. Capri ran her fingers through it gently.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm

ooc: I made those two border maps myself Smile The big white areas is territory that no countries have laid claim to:
    The massive white area between Arad Doman and Tarabon is Almoth Plain, which both countries have been fighting over since the collapse of the country of Almoth. Falme is, ATM, an independent city state. The bit on the right of the river running from Cairhien to Tear is Haddon Mirk, which both countries have tried to annex but lack the manpower to hold effectively, so have given up. The area on the left of that river are the plains of Maredo, which no country has yet shown an interest in. Far Madding, the independent city-state is located here.
    The rest is either neutral or controlled by Tar Valon- unofficially- and the bit of white in the south-west is the Shadow Coast, a coast of dangerous rocks no one can be bothered to claim.

Ic:

Murdoch and Brian trot slowly to the top of the hill, the trees around them breaking up slightly as they crest the slope. The dirt track beneath them muffles the hooves, and the small wooded area is eerily quiet. Murdoch pulls up short of the incline back down the hill, looking around slowly. He signals for Brian to stop, which he does. There are no bird sounds, almost no breeze, no noises of little creatures pattering away in the undergrowth...without the muffled clopping of the hooves of the horses, it's almost silent, and it's almost midday...it's quiet. Too quiet.

"Brian..." he says carefully, "I think something's wrong..." he turns his head sharply; was that a sound in the undergrowth? It sounded like a twig snapping. Brian hears it too, turning his horse slowly on the spot.
    "I agree..." he murmurs, almost unwilling to disturb the unnatural silence. "It's like we're being...watched..." that eery, hair raising sensation of being watched, stalked, scrutinized...what could it mean? "I think-" Brian begins, but cuts off as he catches something from the corner of his eye. A shadow, suddenly moving in the undergrowth. What is that...?

Before he has more time to think, a large shadowy figure detaches itself from the forest and launches itself at Brian. Brian has enough time to realise that a similar sized shape has launched itself at Murdoch before the shadow collides with him, knocking him off his horse, sending him tumbling to the ground. His head smashes against the floor, and he sees stars for a few moments before he manages to acclimatise to the new position.
    The sight that greets him is one that he really didn't want.

There, picking itself up and launching itself at him again, is a beastial form that would terrify most villagers and a lot of soldiers too; a massive, hulking body of matted, dirty fur and rippling muscles with scrappy leather armour approaches him, heavy fists ending in long, sharp claws that clench and unclench around a long, jagged steel blade in its right hand. A squashed nose presses against its bear-like face, its eyes red and squinting, froth and formless growls emerging from its large throat. Its teeth are bared, and its eight-foot, hulking form now towers above Brian, still recovering on the floor. Close up, Brian can see that the fur is blood-streaked and matted, and that one of the leather bands going from shoulder to waist is adorned with human skulls and what he's guessing is scalps.

The Trolloc raises its blade and thrusts downwards towards Brian, and he throws himself to the left sharply, tumbling along the dirt track as he rolls to a stop. He picks himself up as quickly as he can and ducks, narrowly missing a huge, two handed stroke that would have decapitated him had he not reacted quickly enough. He reaches down to his waist-
    -but his sword isn't there! Damnit! It must have come off when he was knocked off his horse! He staggers backwards, away from another large stroke that almost tore straight through his chest. The beastial, frothing Trolloc snarls at him, sending spittle flying onto Brians cheeks, and he shakes his head, trying to spot his missing sword.

There! Lying on the floor near his horse- a normal horse would have bolted, but his is a trained warhorse; it will stay where it is- behind the Trolloc. He casts around desperately- spotting Murdoch engaged in battle with two Trollocs, one hound-like and the other distinctly hawk-esque; he must have rolled as he hit the floor. He has his sword out, as his staff is still on the saddlebags of the horse- for a way around and, seeing none, he growls. He could blast these three Trollocs away with a thought, but he knows that Saidin is addictive; if he uses it once, after all this time, he could easily keep using it, hastening his inevitable madness. He has to take a risk.

He springs forwards, ducking away from the inevitable sword stroke- Trollocs aren't too bright; they're stronger and tougher than humans, true, so they must be treated with caution- crouching into a roll as he reaches his sword. He grabs it as he rolls, springing up and turning to face the Trolloc, a sword in hand. Now he has a chance.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Kristie:
    Amadica, a place of hell and death for anyone who posses the power to channel. Sneaking all of us in, unnoticed and undetected as what we are, is not possible. Not that we prefer it, but it cannot be done. Even with our strengths, we’d be arrest and slaughtered before the next sunrise, and our warders along with us. The men are smart to flee to such a place, knowing we wouldn’t risk it to be caught going in right after them. But, we are more stubborn then anything else, and we will wait. If the man can truly channel, he won’t be able to stay there forever, and when he leaves, he’s ours. “We have to leave now. Go South and do not stop till we hit their grounds. There we can camp, hidden, and in good distance. If we’re lucky, the only Aes Sedai for a good mile will be us, and the male, so Capri will be able to detect his presence in a ritual. That will make certain we are on the right track.” I suggest to the group, looking also to the horizon, with the sun setting more rapidly by the second.
    Skye
    Skye

Post by Skye Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Schuyler stopped, seeing as she had mistaken the figures for the two men. She turned her horse, trotting back after the others. "Amadica?" She questioned as she reached the others, slowing her horse as she listened quietly to Kristie's proposition. It was mad, but it may work. The men would leave eventually, and then they would be at their mercy. Schuyler nodded in agreement and pulled her horses reins, moving him to the south without another word.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:42 pm

ooc: Sorry to burst your bubble, but the only way a Red can detect men who can channel is via their eyes-and-ears and using a weave that detects the residue of recently used Saidin. Smile Also, the Trollocs are important, so possibly getting attacked by a small group of them sometime soon may help...Smile

Ic:

Brian flows into The Hawk Perches on The Mountaintop, a defensive swordstance that allows little movement to reach any part of his body with his sword pointed up and slightly infront of him, watching the Trolloc closely. It snarls again, bringing its sword up and bringing it crashing towards him in a backhanded swing. Brian moves his sword to meet it, spinning around the outside of the Trolloc into Viper Hides In Tall Grass, bringing his blade round in a two-handed swing to hamstring the massive, hulking beast. It roars in pain as the sharp edge cuts through its leg, spinning around wildly, its blade slicing the air viciously. Brian manages to stagger out of the way, the Trollocs bellows of pain and rage increasing in volume until it's reverberating throughout the plains and hills. It takes an unsteady, limping step towards Brian- dragging its ruined leg behind it- its sense of self-preservation and natural cowardice overcome in its rage at being hurt.

Brian deflects another enraged swing at his head, twisting his sword to plunge it up to the hilt in the Trollocs chest. The Trolloc drops its sword, instead grabbing ahold of Brian to bring it up to eye level. Its red eyes narrow in a primal hatred, and spittle flies from its muzzle as it roars. Brian- who has managed to get ahold of the blade- twists the sword sharply, earning another roar of pain from the Trolloc, who drops Brian roughly on the ground. Brian struggles to get away, backing off along the track. Undignified? Yes. Sensible? Again, the answer is yes.

The Trollocs cries get weaker, and it falls to its knees, then keel onto its side, rolling over in the dirt so it's facing the sky. Brian gets up and cautiously approaches the creature, inspecting it as he draws nearer. No signs of life, and its eyes seem to have lost the malice, hatred-filled glare. Gripping the sword with both hands, he gives an almighty pull, wrenching the blade from its gory sheath.

He looks up, just in time to see Murdoch dispatch his two Trollocs with extreme ease, a slice leading into a stab and then another slash. The Trollocs collapse onto the floor, and Murdoch absent-mindedly takes a scrap of fabric from the dead Trollocs clothes, using it to wipe off his blade. Brian does so as well, and then moves to meet Murdoch at the horses.
    Mounting, Murdoch comments "Strange. Trollocs are cowardly by nature...they would not have attacked with so few."
    "There were three of them; perhaps they were sure of their chances."
    "Even so," says Murdoch, "I am surprised that there was not a Fade with them."
    "Maybe there is," Brian counters, looking about him.
    "No. It would have made itself known by now."

Brian sighs. "We should get out of here, before anything else happens...to...us...." he trails off as something catches his eye. He turns back north, in the direction of the village, and gasps softly. "Murdoch..." he murmurs, pointing.
    From the direction of the village rises a single plume of black smoke and, as they watch, it is joined by a second, and a third. From their vantage point on the hill, and the layout of the surrounding area, they can hear- now that they're listening- the faint sounds of...screams?

"Burn it!" Curses Murdoch. "It must be a raid!"
    "But what would Trollocs want with a small village like that one?"
    "An easy fight..." Mutters Murdoch. It's true; Trollocs love fighting, and only restrain themselves because of a sense of self preservation. They can, however, be forced into battle by a Myrddraal.
    "We have to help them!"
    "No," states Murdoch. "We have to escape the Aes Sedai, or you will be gentled."
    "I don't care," says Brian, "I am going to try to save at least someone in that village!" With that, he kicks his horse into a trot, and then a gallop, back towards the village.
    Murdoch curse, but follows after him, soon drawing level to him in their mad sprint back towards the village, and the Trollocs.
    Anonymous

Post by Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Lacey walks back to the village after she was talking to Murdoch and Brian. Lacey gets closer and closer to the town, and notices everyone screaming. Lacey's eyes widen, watching everyone running around like mad and screaming like a huge beast is coming for them.
    "Huge...Beast...Run...Away!" Someone screams, running past Lacey. 'Of course, there has to be a huge beast in our village, yeah right,' Lacey thinks, walking into the town square. Lacey looks around, and notices something in the distance, something that looked huge, something that was like a huge hairy..beast. "Oh my gosh, they were right" Lacey says, running and hiding behind a huge cart, hoping that the beasts wouldn't find her. "Please don't find me, Please don't find me" Lacey keeps muttering, the huge beast getting closer and closer to the village. People kept screaming, running to other direction to another town, noticing her Dad and Mom running that way.
    Capri
    Capri

Post by Capri Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:28 pm

Te rhythmic sound of trotting stopped suddenly, as Capri pulled on her horse's reins. Making a short, clicking noise with her mouth, the horse turned directly around and began trotting South.

"You are very correct, Sister," said Capri, twisting her neck to look at Kristie, "Camping outside the village in the fields discretely should be considered. We don't want to be discovered."

Casually, she looked to the horizon. The slowly-setting sun cast yellow rays on the crops below, the wheat glowing lightly as it swayed in the wind. It certainly was quiet where they were, save for a few locusts in the fields. The breeze was cool, few clouds in the blue sky. Not far to the left, the forest was thick. Dark and mysterious compared to the light-filled, flat country side.

As she turned her head, her black hair glinted a purplish-red in the sunlight. Her now liquid amber eyes turned troubled. The locusts stopped chirping. Even the breeze seemed to end.

"Ah, and now," she whispered, "we have more to worry about."

Just then, shadows in the forest seemed to quiver. Turning her head, she saw the billowing smoke in the sky. The far-off screams in the distance.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:45 pm

OOC- Ignore that then.. Goof number 2.

BIC-

Justin:
    The smoke grew bother thicker and thinner with each passing screech and scream that came from the village. Now, even with the small, light wind the stench grazed us even this far away from the population of the now burning village. “So much for a peaceful little spot.” I said with a bit of an, irritated, or rather exhausted sigh. “Not to be a downer, but assisting the village could result in us losing the channeler, and in my opinion, that’s a greater loss.”

Kristie:
    “That’s irrelevant, those people are practically defenseless. If the men are traveling to Amadica, then we know a certain destination. They will not leave over night. We will get to them, if they are even headed there to begin with.” I answered to Justin, shocked, and almost ashamed of his suggestion to leave the people there to die to whomever was attacking them. A tiny village such as this one couldn’t possibly have done any harm to anyone, so whatever attacking them was doing it for pleasure – Sick bastards. “Skye, I ask we go help, and leave the men for after we’ve assisted the village. We’ve seen the attack; if we allow them to suffer, each death will be on our conscience.” I asked, hoping she agreed with me, and not Justin’s cold thoughts - His attitude was not own today.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 am

Murdoch and Brian kick their horses into a frantic gallop, not caring about the health of the horses in their haste to reach the village. Brian barely has time to wonder why the Trollocs are attacking the village in his rush to get back, and his eye trying to spot hazards in his path as he guides the horse down the narrow beaten tracks that lead directly to the village, instead of the roads that meander towards it.

Branches scrape his arms as he whips through them, cutting corners as he goes, Murdoch right behind him, the path being too narrow for two-abreast. Why would the Trollocs raid the village? True, they like violence and only restrain themselves because of a sense of self preservation- they're cowards- but they are usually sent on raids for a specific purpose. Whether just to cause terror in the local community or to capture something or someone, it's never random. This village is too far out of the way for it to be an effective terror device, and there's nothing of any note in the area...save for them. Could they have brought the Trollocs here? The thought is certainly not welcome, but no matter how hard he tries to shake it, it still nags at him. What if they were looking for him? He can channel, and Legend says that the Dark One is always on the lookout for new followers, particularly channellers.

He shakes his head. No. Has to concentrate on the here and now; get to the village, and save as many as possible, then get out before the Aes Sedai catch him. Nothing big, then...oh, lest we forget, the Trollocs probably have a Myrddraal directing them. That will be fun to fight...but it could end up killing the Trollocs immediately were the Fade to die, if they're linked as is usually the case.

And then he has no more time to think about it, because he and Murdoch break round a corner and break out of the small woods near the village, the scene before them opening up like some kind of horror scene.
    Skye
    Skye

Post by Skye Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:10 pm

Schuyler raised her chin, looking to the town now engulfed in smoke and the light of fire. "It's best to help. We can assume in the small amount of time the men have been here, they have become somewhat attached to the village. Perhaps," she started, turning her horse to face the village, stringing her hand in it's mane, "perhaps the men will return. We can help the villagers, then either continue to Amadica to find them or have them in our clutches by next sunrise." Her lips pursed as she watched the black smoke rise from the distant town, the screams echoing off the mountains.

She kicked the sides of her horse without another word, starting quickly off to the town. The leather reigns stuck between her palms as she silently prayed that this would not be a mistake.
    Capri
    Capri

Post by Capri Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 pm

"Yes, I agree we shall help. And it will help us find the men." she said with another clicking noise. She lightly kicked her horse, and it bolted after Skye's.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:14 pm

The village is burning. Houses and shops, peoples homes and lives are consumed in roaring flames that spread from one wooden construct to the next, devouring thatch roofs and wooden walls. The fires lick at the buildings hungrily, several having already collapsed under the weight of their own roofs, now only blackened ruins of their former selves. The bushes and trees lining the paths and alleys of the village are also aflame, blackened husks of wood and creaking branches collapsing as even the tree in the center of the square falls down under its own weight. Carts are overturned, horses are panicking at the sight of all sorts of animals lying dead on the ground, rearing up at the stench of so much death and flames, the black smoke as thick in their nostrils as the smell of decaying and roasted flesh, the same smoke that seems to choke the very life from the air, the smoke that rises mercilessly to blot out any remaining daylight.

People are running, screaming, towards Murdoch and Brian, the only clear exit, trampling each other in their haste to escape, women and children clutching to each other and their most valued possessions as they flee the creatures they once thought myth, the children crying at every monster from their childhood made flesh. The men are running, too, chasing after their wives and children, making sure that they get out ok. As Brian and Murdoch watch, a group of men turn around clutching large wooden poles, spare swords from the blacksmith, smithing hammers, heavy tongs, clubs of wood and other makeshift weapons and attempt to blockade the street.

The cause of the terror rounds the corner, snarling and frothing, screaming defiance and rage and battlelust, charging forward as a horde, swinging its swords and axes in wide arcs before it. The mass horde of Trollocs charges forwards, snarling and spitting and biting, cleaving several of the men in two where they stand. Although the men put up a brave show of defiance- felling more than one or two of the Trollocs- the sheer weight of the Trollocs numbers, the fear of having a boogeyman appear in their lives and the choking atmosphere around them takes it out of them, and cracks begin to appear in their fragile line. Soon enough, Trollocs begin breaking through gaps, widening them, and soon the men are all surrounded. Some of the Trollocs turn and begin pursuing the women and children.

As they watch, a small girl- no more than two or three years old, and running as fast as her tiny legs can carry her, dressed in a tiny pink nighty- who is being half dragged by her mother turns to look with terror at the approaching Trollocs. She is clutching a tiny little rabbit teddy in her arm, and her pale blonde hair is in complete disarray. She stumbles as she turns, tripping over and slamming down hard into the cobbled street, her bunny bouncing a little way away from her. She loses her grip on her mother, who instantly turns around, and the little girl begins to cry, her mother attempting to reach her through the throng of panicking townspeople.

A Trolloc, freshly broken away from the fighting with the men, spots her as it charges, its wolf-like face twisting into a pleased snarl. It begins to change direction to head for the wailing girl, who has managed to crawl over to her teddy and is now hugging it tightly as she watches the approaching Trolloc through tear-clouded eyes.
    Brian snarls wordlessly, kicking his horse into a gallop. Drawing his sword, he uses the height gained by the sudden drawing of his sword to bring it down in a massive arc, down onto the wolfen head of the Trolloc, cleaving it in two. The Trolloc drops like a stone, flying away from the horse as the momentum carries it away, Brian having to hold onto the blade tightly to prevent it from being wrenched away from him. He looks down at the girl quickly before wheeling around to cut down another Trolloc who attempted to get past him. He looks up just in time to see a Trolloc closing in on a terrified family huddled in a corner, a woman, two children and a man, the man nursing an arm that is twisted into an unnatural position. Brians eyes widen slightly; he can't leave this girl to save that family, or she will die- reinforced by the third Trolloc being decapitated from atop his horse- so he has to leave them...blast it!

However, a shape darts in front of the family, and a long shaft shoots down from the top if it, burying itself in the Trollocs neck. Murdoch wrenches his bladed quarterstaff away from the twitching corpse, looks up, nods to Brian and wheels about to face towards the now small-clumps of men fighting for their lives. Brian looks down at the girl, whose mother has finally gotten to them. She garbles some thanks, but Brian cuts her off. "Get her out of here, now!" He says. She nods, hurriedly dragging her child off. Brian turns around, galloping towards the line, same as Murdoch.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm

OOC- Let's pray this one makes sense.

BIC-
    Kristie:
    As the approval was given, I, and assuming Justin behind me, jolted for the weakening town along with the others. The open area of that I saw we’d be entering into, did not have the strong screams and commotion of the more dense and thick middle area of the village. That is where people were dying, and homes being destroyed were – That is where we needed to get to without wasting our time on this little bits. I stopped my horse quickly, too quickly seeing as for a moment it kicked up it’s front legs in surprise as I pulled hard and strong on the reins. I shushed the creature and stroked it’s side gently to calm him. “I don’t want the attackers to know we are coming, to see us coming. I want to appear out of thin air, this entrance will not work for that idea.” I spoke quietly, almost as if I was talking only to myself. I glanced down the smoking, cloudy path, and thought of a small, narrow alley we’d passed on our chase away from the Whitecloaks. But, then again, the chase moved so quickly I could have imagined it, but it’s unlikely. I kicked at my horses, and sent it down further from where we’d all been headed and got myself back onto the side roads of the village. As we came closer, flames began to burst our back windows of the homes, and most if not all alley ways were torched and indulged with heat and fire. The one, however I’d thought of soon appeared, where I stepped off the horse and looked into it. “We’ll enter here. Do not mind the horses, they won’t fit through, and will get in the way.”

Justin:
    Communication at this point, sucked. I had barely heard a word, if that of what she said between her stops and races down a path of stench and black air. Still, without question I followed, but we’d just sped away from the other, which seemed disadvantaging to my eyes. No matter whicsh end we came in from, it’d be the exact same entering towards the heavier areas. To my surprise, she stopped quickly when we neared almost half way to the end of the path, and she looked pleasingly at a small entrance between the buildings. The heat radiating off the stone walls was enough to cook meat, and it’s air thick and heavy.

Kristie:
    “Hold onto me, understand?” I told him while he stepped off his horse, and quickly walked to me, taking my hand. Turning our bodies sideways, in order to fit through, a field was created just over our skins, to block from the heat and ash filled air. We slid down the alley way, seeing only grey dust until we were out, standing and in the heart of the attack. Trollocs.. The last thing of my expectations. The village was glazed in death, blood, and everything evil you could, and can’t imagine.
    Seconds after being in the open, pounding steps and grunting breaths was heard to our left, where a beast had already seen us, and had begun to charge. It carried a large, axe like weapon with jagged parts to the blade near the tip/top of the weapon. Swinging it roughly into the air, a snap of my wrist whipped the weapon up and out of his grip and flying high in the air. Gripping the weapon with force, I held it high up and out of reach from the creature’s arms. With it distracted for a second, I tossed the weapon away, landing opposite of us on the street, and crashing into an already burning structure, most likely a cart of some sort. The Trolloc focused again on us, and before it could charge again, using both my hands, two amounts of force were created and slammed viciously onto either side of it’s head, until the skull, brain literally burst into pieces. It dropped heavily to the ground, and blood began pouring from it. “We need to begin searching for villagers who haven’t escaped.” I said turning quickly behind me to Justin.

Last edited by Kristie on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Capri
    Capri

Post by Capri Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:42 pm

OOC- I'm confused. I thought Aes Sedai didn't use weapons.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:45 pm

OOC- I'd think so.. Right? Using the One Power excessivley kills us?
    Or am I REALLY wrong?
    Capri
    Capri

Post by Capri Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:49 pm

"The Aes Sedai all take three oaths, bound to them by a Ter‘angreal: To never speak a word that is not true (although the truth you hear may not be the truth they mean), to never make a weapon for man to kill other men, and to never use the power as weapon except against Shadowspawn, in defense of their life."

I don't know. I could be very wrong. I need an answer before I post.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm

ooc:

Kristie. First off, you can kill it with a good stab to the heart, like anything else, but its hide is tougher. It is animalistic and doesn't "stroll" anywhere; it charges in head first unless told not to by a Fade. It will attack you constantly until you kill it. Are you forgetting the Power, BTW? You could easily have just put a barrier or air around you to protect you...
    Aes Sedai DON'T use weapons. I said that numerous times. They rely on their warders to protect them. They use the power as a weapon, and no, it doesn't kill them. Using the power increases their life span, but use TOO MUCH at one time and you could kill yourself or cut yourself off from the power permanantly.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:16 pm

Ahh, see, I thought it killed us to use it a lot. Alright, I'll go back to fix my post. I apologise for the massive screw up.
    Capri
    Capri

Post by Capri Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:17 pm

OOC-Thanks for clearing that up.

BIC-

Staring at the destruction, Capri halted her horse to a stop as the people scurried past. Blood. Screaming. Growls. Yelling. Battle. Something flickered in her eyes then, as she leaped of her horse, pulling the dark hood over her head once more. there were a few bodies lying around, the Trollocs charging at more people as she stood there.

Looking at a scene a few feet away, a teenage boy was cornered by a charging hawk-like Trolloc. Having no weapons on him, he was just practically yelling his head of at the thing. Capri threw out her arms then, hand twisting at sharp angles as she began to channel. A barrier was created in front of the boy, and the Trolloc slammed face first into it, with a piercing shriek. The boy's face was of utter confusion, looking around for an explanation. He spotted her then and his eyebrows furrowed. Getting up, the Trolloc groaned and swung it's muscular, taloned arms against the force field, finding no weak spot.

Then, Capri moved one hand towards the Trolloc, other hand still controlling the barrier. Her hand balled into a fist as the magic flowed from it to the Trolloc. Suddenly, it lifted the Trolloc in the air as it gasped for breath, clutching at the invisible force around its neck. She tightened her fist, then heard the sickening crunch of its neck shattering and collapsing. Exhaling loudly, both hands opened, then fell to her sides. The Trolloc slammed against the ground, sending dirt flying, the barrier in front of the boy disappearing.

"What are you?" he asked exasperated, standing up straight.

"Go, leave here now. You aren't safe." she said, in a hard voice. He seemed to hesitate, but then bolted passed her back out into the crowds of fleeing people. Capri turned, scanning the area.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 10:05 pm