Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+4
Burn It
Zalgo the Imminent
Murdoch
Faith Wynters
8 posters

Roleplay Brainstorming

Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Roleplay Brainstorming - Page 8 Empty Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Faith Wynters Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly, if I need to move this someplace else I will...

Now... This will be where we think over everything I just didint want to litter up the CBOX with logistical things. SOOZ here we go. Remember to be respectful of all ideas because they are all important.

Last edited by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I)
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Roleplay Brainstorming - Page 8 Empty Re: Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 am

Force Magic as I envision it is like... Y'know the spells Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Tenser's Floating Disc, Unseen Servant, Mage Hand, and spells similar to these? That's Force Magic according to me.

Necromancers can raise dead, but not summon spirits. That'd normally fall under holy magic, but we're giving them banishing instead. I envision Blood Magic as the Dragon Age version of Blood Magic. Powerful as hell, but hurts the wielder a lot when they use it. Elemental Magic should be like "Hey, there's some embers here, let's manipulate the hell out of them, add some extra oxygen from the air to make it more powerful, and BAM! Now it's a good sized bonfire!", so you need the element in order to use the element, you can't just create it.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 am

Aaah, ok. Hmm...maybe give all Mages a basic level of Force Magic to counteract their squishy nature?

Blood Magic: So, they could use it to power more powerful spells, mind control weaker willed individuals, etc etc? Seems good, but just be careful to balance it properly if you use it.

Necromancers: What about ghosts? Or is it just zombies and skeletons and whatnot?

Elemental: Hmm...they are Mages, so I would have thought that they would be able to cast the spell and conjure it, but they wouldn't remain in existence for long. I mean, Mages are traditionally able to hurl fireballs and whatnot without having access. Just how I envisaged Magi, they were able to conjur elements but not manipulate them, so they could hurl a fireball but once its been thrown, they can't direct it any more.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 am

Not Ghosts. I always see Necromancy as the profane act of desecrating bodies, whether it's for good or not. Spirits/Ghosts are more often depicted as an Oracles job, y'know, commune with the spirits to see the future, that kinda crap.

Oh, better idea than naming them Magus. Alchemists. Y'know, FMA style Alchemists. That way we can cover the void removed when Smith Wizened were removed and keep to both our interpretations of Elemental Magic. Gotta have the elements required and a spark of some sort to create fire, and there's plenty of oxygen in the air to make it a fireball. Plus now they've got two powers like the others do instead of just the Elemental aspect.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:55 am

Eh, fair enough.

I don't watch FMA...what do you mean the second power?
    Also, I'm still not sold on having to have a spark to create the fire, but we can figure that out later. Maybe snapping their fingers to create friction and heat, and using their powers to increase that to fire level? You have the basic materials there, after all.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:08 am

I'll just copy what I've found for Alchemy as told by FMA.

Alchemy is the ancient metaphysical science/mystical art of manipulating and altering matter by using natural energy. This act is known as "Transmutation" and its sequence is usually described as:

Comprehension - Understanding the inherent structure and properties of the atomic or molecular makeup of a particular material to be transmuted, including the flow and balance of potential and kinetic energy within.
    Deconstruction - Using energy to break down the physical structure of the identified material into a more malleable state so as to be easily reshaped into a new form.
    Reconstruction - Continuing the flow of energy so as to reform the material into a new shape.

The proper application of this craft requires not only a full understanding of chemistry and ancient alchemical theory, but also a sort of natural talent towards recognizing and manipulating the physical objects with energy, which require uncommon levels of intelligence and aptitude. Those remarkable individuals capable of studying and practicing alchemy are known as "Alchemists".

In standard practice, Equivalent Exchange is separated into two parts:

The Law of Conservation of Mass, which states that energy and matter can neither be created from nothing nor destroyed to the point of elemental nonexistence. In other words, to create an object weighing one kilogram, at least one kilogram of material is necessary and destroying an object weighing one kilogram would reduce it to a set of parts, the sum of which would weigh one kilogram.

The Law of Natural Providence, which states that an object or material made of a particular substance or element can only be transmuted into another object with the same basic makeup and properties of that initial material. In other words, an object or material made mostly of water can only be transmuted into another object with the attributes of water.

Since the alchemical forces being manipulated are not human in origin, but of the world as a whole, the consequences for attempting to bypass the Law of Equivalent Exchange in transmutation are not merely failure and cessation. When too much is attempted out of too little, what occurs is called a Rebound, in which the alchemical forces that are thrown out of balance on either side of the equation fluctuate wildly of their own accord in order to stabilize themselves - taking or giving more than was intended in often unpredictable and catastrophic ways such as accidental mutation, serious injury or death.

Additionally, though no machine or equipment is needed to produce the energy necessary for transmutation, merely understanding the sequence of transmutation and the limitations of Equivalent Exchange is not enough. Just as the processes of "Comprehension, Deconstruction, Reconstruction" and "In order to gain, something of equal value must be lost in return" are cyclical concepts, the circle itself is the foundation of alchemy.

In order to begin an alchemical transmutation, a symbol called a Transmutation Circle is necessary. A Transmutation Circle can either be drawn on the spot when a transmutation is necessary (in chalk, pencil, ink, paint, blood or even traced in dirt) or permanently etched or inscribed beforehand, but without it, transmutation is generally impossible and all Transmutation Circles are made up of two parts:

The circle itself is a conduit which focuses and dictates the flow of power, tapping into the energies that already exist within the earth and matter. It represents the cyclical flow of the world's energies and phenomena and turns that power to manipulable ends.

Inside the circle are specific alchemical runes. These runes vary widely based on ancient alchemical studies, texts and experimentation, but correspond to a different form of energy, allowing the energy that is focused within the circle to be released in the way most conducive to the alchemist's desired effect. In basic alchemy, these runes will often take the form of triangles (which, when positioned differently, can represent the elements of either water, earth, fire or air), but will often be composed of varying polygons built from different triangles. For example: the hexagram is a commonly used base rune in Transmutation Circles because it creates eight multi-directional triangles when inscribed and can therefore represent all four classical elements at once. Other, more esoteric runes (including astrological symbols, symbolic images and varying lines of text) are prevalent and represent a multitude of other, specific functions for the alchemical energy that is released.

The whole "Snapping your fingers to use the heat of friction to cause fire" thing is actually used by one character in the anime/manga. And of course, we'd have to cut down much of what they can do, but the basics are there. Fix things, make things, elemental powers, so long as you have what you need to do it.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:20 am

Hmm....I have to say, I think we should probably stick with our original idea of Magus, to avoid any unnecessary complications. And that long thing up there is quite a lot to read and understand, so I think if we just stick with the "Elemental Offensive" thing, that gives them a huge range of things they can do, provided they can get the raw materials there (snapping fingers for fire, spitting for water, that sort of thing). It's easy to understand, easy to play and doesn't really confuse much. Overcomplicating it any more risks people not actually understanding what's going on. For the making things, why not just add Goblin and Troll like creatures as NPC labourers? Cheap to employ, easy to maintain and they have a natural craftsmanship. There we are, both problems addressed with minimal fuss and not giving Magus too much of an advantage (considering that Magus/Alchemist is a purely offensive "class," it doesn't make sense to give them a Support functionality as well).
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:13 am

Just to put this out there and contribute...I guess and to make I known I'm still reading and keeping up lol...I agree with Murdoch. I think the split makes things too complicated. The rules and length might make it where people are afraid to try such a character because they're afraid they'll break a rule or mess up or confuse others.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:35 pm

OKAY, so after reading through pages and pages of discussion, the only issues Im having with is the Mage's. The types and specifics we've seem to conclude on is not something I was originally interested it. Zalgo and I have been talking about this RP off from this thread since it's beginning in the Chatbox, and a Mage has been my interest from the beginning. We discuss something very different. If Im understanding right, we've separated based on not just what they can do, but what they can't do? I was hoping the Mages were able to have multiple styles of Magic, one very powerful and maybe 1-2 mild practices.

If this is something we can work in, I'd really appreciate it. I personally don't see the problem with it, but that's just me. If majority is hell bent against it I'll accept that, but otherwise I would really like something like this done. I've already started the foundations of my character, her profile, abilities (though not very detailed as I didn't know what to expect), and starting from the ground up would be.. Well, pretty shitty. If I need to, than I will. Majority is majority. I think the type Zalgo, we discussed was shunned somewhere in this thread. Am I wrong?

------------

Also, I think we all need to get off this 'too complicated' bandwagon. There's making things complex which I agree we should avoid, then there's giving things variety. It really, really... really, isn't that difficult to have more variety within species. I personally would like to have multiple different species to interact with.

Im sad you took out Changelings Zalgo, I was looking forward to the character you chose that we discussed.

Also, what's this huge issue with overlapping abilities? What difference does it make? So more than one species can do something, obviously it would be in different ways and maybe to different extents. But overall it's not an issue to me whatever. Again, if it's not my character - than it's not something Im going to vote to put limits on. What people want to do with their species and their character is up to them to decide.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:48 pm

Okey dokey, point by point.

- What were you looking for the Mage to be able to do? Would you mind specifying please? I mean, I don't know what you're looking for specifically in the mage character, so I don't know how to alter it to make you happy. *shrug*. As for separating, no, we've divvied up different focuses so that you have different types of mages that can do different things. Where did you get "Things they can't do" from?

- On the "making things complicated" thing, I agree that usually I like complexity and variety, but a couple of people have stated several times that going too indepth with it makes it far too complicated, and since we are making an RP for everybody, we need to make it complicated enough to be interesting, but simple enough to be easily understood. It's a difficult balance to strike, and I'm sorry if we're not managing it to your liking, Burn It, but I for one am doing my best.

- My issue is more trying to alter or balance it so that certain species or creatures don't become obsolete. If Creature A and Creature B can both do the same thing but Creature B can do it better AND can do something extra that Creature A can't, why would anybody go for Creature A? It's about balancing the powers, and maybe we're not doing the best job, but again, I for one am doing my best to balance it for everybody.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 pm

That's just my thing right now, I do not believe for a second that we're going too in depth. I don't think there's enough variety, which is uninteresting to me. I know everyone RP's differently and has different comfort zones, but I think it's being very one sided. I'd like to see more than just 2-3 subspecies. No, Im not asking for 10, because that's insane even for me lol, but more than 2-3 would be nice. Again, majority is majority. I'll settle for what's given to me. But things have been cut down drastically in my opinion to fit what people want, it's only fair that those who want more variety are shown the same wiggle room.

For the Mage's, okay. My mistake. Before I go into asking for alterations to our RP from everyone, if given the list of Mage's we've created, I were to pick one - am I allowed to have knowledge of spells and practise from the other categories? Obviously not to the extent of knowing them entirely, but a handful of spells for example? Very, very little. But something. Is this something that the majority would be opposed to?
    I'll give a better example, the character Im looking to have. Elementals (or whatever they're called) is what I wanted to be - but I also wanted her to have a healing ability aspect. Not strong or even mild, very little healing-type-magic whatever the heck it's called ability. Would that be something everyone would be oppose to? I apologise if the answer to this question are in the pages before this, it was a lot to read in the 20 minutes I took doing it.

I agree with trying to balance things out for the same reason you said, but having slightly overlapping abilities wouldn't be that big a deal. If one species can do ability A and that's it, it would obviously be very powerful. If another species can do a different form of ability A and ability B, so having more than one then you would adjust their power accordingly. So no one get's OP'd.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 pm

- Well, obviously we can add more if people want them, my impression was just "these are the basics, and we can break them down further if people want." It should be fairly simply to go back and add another type of Vampire, for example, to the three existing ones. *shrug*. If people are ok with a couple more subtypes, then okey dokey. With the Were's and Animoids, I for one wasn't specifically going to say "These are the types;" if you wanted to be a Wereworm, go ahead, haha.

- Well, I don't think we've specifically discussed that aspect, but my impression was that each Mage would be effectively a human with the ability to use magic. These humans would all naturally have an Affinity for one or two types of magic, which would always fall into one of those categories; so a Mage would have an affinity for Necromancy and Blood Magic or just an affinity for Necromancy, but never Necromancy and - for instance - Shapeshifting. Most Mages, therefore, would pursue the school they had that affinity for. There's no reason that a mage can't try and learn spells from another school, however; it would be harder for them to cast the spells, and they wouldn't be as powerful as somebody who had The Affinity for that School, but they'd be able to cast a weaker version nonetheless. So yeah. That was my impression....any objections? And would that address your issue, BI?

- Well, we already have some overlap. For example, with Shamans and Were's; Were's can shapeshift into a Wereanimal, which is bigger and more vicious than its "normal" counterpart. A Shaman can shapeshift - with practice - into any animal, giving them more variety but if they shifted into a wolf, it would be physically weaker than the Werewolf, which would be bigger and stronger. So we have a bit of overlap...I just want to try to avoid too much. Give each species its own unique feel and skillset, y'know?
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Thank you for clearing it up. Yes, if some more to certain species could be thrown in, that's all Im asking. Just to make it more interesting. Im hoping people won't be overly confused by adding in two or three more to each one

Yes, that I'm also okay with as long as everyone else is. If everyone is, than no changes need to be made and we can proceed as we were before I chimmed in. Half of my character relies on her being able to do a few spells or have a few aspects of the healer in her. They will be weaker in comparison yes - nothing more annoying than overpowered players running around.

Pretty much for the last one, okay. I'm not a shapeshifter/whatever else shifts of the sorts so it wasn't a huge deal to me - I just hate seeing too many limitations. But everything seems to be in order.

Thank you again.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Welp, I'm glad we were able to deal with your concerns without too much of a kerfuffle ^_^ Anybody else got any ideas/requests/preferences/problems before we continue? Just so we can address them now when it's still pretty easy to fix the things that need fixing, rather than later when it will be a bit difficult, haha.
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:04 pm

Just a little reminder, can you please not post twice in a row unless separated by at least 24 hours? Thank you =) Just click "edit" at the bottom of your lastest post and add to it there. 

I actually understand more of the FMA style of alchemy than any other, so because we're not going with that version can someone maybe explain how alchemy works in other ways? Although you don't have to because I don't think I'll choose an alchemic character. Just if you have a spare moment.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:05 pm

I don't know what we're doing with Alchemy ATM. If we just go with the original idea and reject the above Alchemist rules, I don't think we're doing Alchemy at all. *shrug*. Honestly, I'm not sure.
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 pm

Oki doki ^.^ It's up to you guys. Like I said, I'm probably not going to pick a character who does alchemy anyway.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:15 pm

Alright. So I do have a question/thingy. I was under the impression that the amount of species was not particularly endless, but close to it. That we were outlining these species for our own strengths and weaknesses, but there could in fact be more species Unicorns, goblins, dwarves, trolls, fairies... You get it. Most would be in this world, we just decided that we were only specifically allowed to play certain characters so we could specify abilities for those types or was I wrong again?

Last edited by Faith Wynters on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:18 pm

I think the implication was that there were loads of species in this RP, but we were defining the "Player Races," as it were, and would discuss other species - probably here - as and when they cropped up. No sense in planning out a species that won't appear until six months down the line, eh?
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Also, I was thinking for the trigger in this RP, like the conflict - that there would be different triggers for different levels of the factions going on and for different societies. That in the running would come together to be a part of one larger problem that brings us all together. So something in the Underground, something on the Surface (Surface or keep the Real World? I think our worlds needs different names), and then break it down into maybe the three different levels of factions, or something completely unrelated to the factions. Or we could have one huge problem that in effect causes a bunch of smaller ones that affect us all, and again brings us together in one way or another.

I have one for myself that I've been thinking of, which would bring me to travel to the Underground looking for specific people etc.

Just suggestions Razz
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:21 pm

Its just a thought, but I was thinking that the large bigger picture problem could be the threat of complete and total control (or at least attempt control) of the underground and it's mystical creatures by the human's leading goverments. Maybe there a mass homicide in a corporation's office building and all signs (at least for the goverment) point to a vampire faction or a certain species. (All these details are general and could be changed) The goverment sees this as an opportunity to not only aquire control, but heavily text underground trade making large margins of profit themselves.

As Burn It said, I have my own trigger for my character to venture into the undergound, and I'm sure we all do if we've thought over a character a bit. Now we need factional conflicts and big picture stuff Smile
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 pm

I like the idea - the only thing I see not computing is that if they're trying hard to fit into society, any kind of species having a mass murder of the humans wouldn't be very smart lol. My thoughts are to make it work though - because it is a good idea to get things rolling - is that maybe a gang from out of town comes to the city. Of whatever race, maybe a mixture of everything, and unaware of the rules and system that the city and its inhabitants have built to stay concealed etc, just decides to massacre a bunch of humans thinking they could take over the territory. Starting a chain reaction investigation of the supernatural, put everyone at risk and danger.

How's that sound?
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Or, an idea I just had, a whole X-Men/Brotherhood of Mutants kinda ordeal. The Supernaturals wanna live in peace, but many humans are extremely racist against them and there are lobbyists in the city vying for all Supernaturals to be tagged/recorded in a big ol' directory of who/what they are. Meanwhile, two overarching factions are trying to stop them, one group vying for integration, the other for separation. The separatists would be more violence-prone while the integrationists would be more diplomacy-prone, both opposing each other with rising tensions, all culminating in a small contingency of the separatists doing something drastic, i.e. blowing up a city block on the surface and/or killing a large number of politicians/lobbyists that're trying to pass these laws to get the directory thing in place.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:26 pm

I was thinking that for the most part the human's wouldn't know about the supernatural. That's the reason the underground is hidden. So there would not be open human/supernatural conflict accept any within the goverments. Since I think we are still trying to shadow war everything and black ops and junk, yes?

I do understand your point Alex, possibly the group that migrates into town is an entirely new species that normally dwells in another area, but for some reason they attempted to introduce themselves(like you said) and we end with an end of the murder or pillage or whatever.

I was more adding onto the race bit. Possibly the race (or group of races either way) was pushed out of their normal place, possibly another underground area hidden in a large urban center by another goverment or possibly a devastating fractional conflict or natural disaster. Or a race pushed from their homelands by war. I dunno lol
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 am

Hmm...I would have to say that Alex's idea looks good. A group already in the city would likely want to stay hidden, so if we want that catalyst for Humans Vs Supernaturals, an out of town group would likely be the best option. It also adds a whole mess of suspicion between the factions as to who is working with them or not, and throws a spanner in the balance of power that could be fun to explore. So....Alex's variation on Faith's idea sounds good to me Smile
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:27 am

Alright y. I vote that today, if possible at all, we push through to the end. We've got to get out of the brainstorming and into the roleplay and the more we work, the closer we are to that. So today (and possibly tomorrow) I vote that we try to finish up any last minute details that we need (I think we need faction I unno) and get this puppy written out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:05 am