Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+4
Burn It
Zalgo the Imminent
Murdoch
Faith Wynters
8 posters

Roleplay Brainstorming

Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Roleplay Brainstorming Empty Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Faith Wynters Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:50 pm

Firstly, if I need to move this someplace else I will...

Now... This will be where we think over everything I just didint want to litter up the CBOX with logistical things. SOOZ here we go. Remember to be respectful of all ideas because they are all important.

Last edited by Faith Wynters on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I)
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Roleplay Brainstorming Empty Re: Roleplay Brainstorming

Post by Murdoch Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Well, first things first is the genre and time period; I think Faith and I would vote for medieval style Fantasy....what about everybody else?
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:00 pm

Really, I wouldn't mind any kind of fantasy. Honestly, I am not a hundred percent on whether or not Jade likes fantasy and if that is the case, we could go for a lighter fantasy. It depends on everyone else lol. I will have very few objections. I miss roleplaying and I am pretty sure everyone knows how okay with everything I am haha.

Also, I'm trying to convince Alix to join in on the fun. At the moment he's "thinking about it" lol
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:27 pm

I'm in the mood for three genres.

1.) Futuristic Sci-fi, sans the aliens but with bits of their tech.
    2.) Mystery/Horror, primarily based on the Cthulhu Mythos.
    3.) Modern Day Magic, similar to the new World of Darkness games.

But, I know Jade doesn't like things that're based on things she doesn't know, so those three ideas aren't likely.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:41 am

I could go for Sci-Fi, if everybody else wants to do it, but there would have to be very specific rules on the tech available and how it works....same for Fantasy and magic too, though, I guess. I suppose the genre I like most out of that is 3), the Urban Fantasy type setting. We always have...I think it was Danny's RP that was a war between two factions. We could go down that route; two factions vying for control beneath the noses of the "muggles;" one, an evil organisation bent on domination, and the other a black ops organisation built to stop them. Something like that could be possible?

Whatever we decide, though, we would need to have an open dialogue about future plot points. So not only would we have to PM other players about events we envisage that include the characters being played by those players, but we would have to have constant chatter in an OOC thread about overarching themes we could apply and storylines we could play out. We would need to have a somewhat even smattering of "types" of characters....oh, and one thing I've picked up in my time RPing off of this site is that it's a good idea to set up a "Relationship Sheet" for each of our characters beforehand. That way, we can discuss and figure out our characters basic connections, which gives us some RP hooks straight away so nobody is left in a lurch with nobody to chat to. Smile
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:10 am

I was thinking more along the lines of a "5 groups of extraordinary humans, 1 group of 'Hunters', bunch of unwitting 'Muggles', less physical battle, more political intrigue, go have fun," with the groups of extraordinary humans being Vampires, Werewolves, Mages, Changelings, and Prometheans, with each major group having multiple smaller groups within. For instance, Vampires have Kindred, Clans, and Covenants, Werewolves have Auspices, Tribes, and Forms, Mages have Paths, Arcana, Legacies, and Orders, Changelings have Seemings, Kiths, and Courts, Prometheans have Lineages and Refinements, and Hunters have Cells, Compacts, and Conspiracies.

It's confusing, yes, but I can attempt to explain the major things to you guys more in detail later if you're all okay with this idea.

Last edited by Fourth Broken Wall on Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:32 am

It isn't that complicated, Zalgo...each species/"special" is divided into sub groups depending on their own characteristics. *shrug*. It isn't that hard to grasp. As it is, I think we should decide whether it's going to be a collaborative effort - which I support - or one GM running things. As it is, for the type of RP we're going to be doing, I think a collaborative is the best option...which also means we all need to reign in some of our instincts to take control. On the note of "less physical battle, more political intrigue," I have to disagree with that plan. We should do what makes sense in the RP instead of saying "keep fights to a minimum." If we have, for instance, a group of supernaturals and a group of Hunters, there will inevitably be fights depending on who is where. Instead of dictating what type of RP it is - political, physical, etc etc - I think we should just come up with a general theme and let the RP evolve naturally.

But I think we both need to shush for a little bit and hear what other people have to say.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:33 pm

I think Faith should put a poll up with all our options that we've discussed, then we put it to a vote. Majority rules.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:55 am

That's not the point of a brainstorm, Zalgo. The point of this exercise is to get everybody to chip in with their ideas, and come up with something that everybody is happy with, or something approaching that at any rate. We still need to hear from Jade and Kristie.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:02 pm

I myself am more interested in something with Modern Day. I like the integration of the Fantasy aspect in the every day society, hiding. Functioning. Something in the older days, like Medieval is not something I am against and have enjoyed in the past. But it's just not what I'm in the mood for. I guess my vote goes to choice number 3.

My only concern is that a lot of the time with war and factions fighting it out for a given reason, is the OP players. I am all for the fighting, it's one of the best parts -let's just all remember to be reasonable. I'd like there to be a greater political aspect in this RP oppose to the ones in the past. That's just my input.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Oh, I agree Kristie. If we did an Urban Fantasy Shadow War, we would need to think of specific races and rules and regulations for them that you would not be allowed to deviate from. I'd be happy to draw up some preliminary rules for the various races or abilities...the only question is, what would the various factions be, do you think? Would there be two, or three or four? And what would their agendas be? I don't think any of them should be black-and-white good or evil, since the world doesn't work like that....if we had three factions, each working towards a nominally good goal (or a goal that could be considered good in the right light) but using controversial tactics (much like SHIELD in the comics; ends justify the means sort of thing), it could also open up interesting "With us until you're not" politics...with each faction carrying out black ops under the other ones noses. It could certainly be interesting...maybe have two factions bickering, and a third, secret one just sitting back, looking to profit from the conflict? Hmm....

Anyway, I do agree with Kristie that High Fantasy is not what I'm looking for ATM. Something a bit more black ops-y sounds good. As I said, I volunteer to write up some preliminary pro's/cons and post them here for peoples input, if people are interested?
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm leaning towards 6 races with various subraces and factions within, but I recognize that we only currently have 5-6 people so that wouldn't likely work.

That said, maybe we could file it down to one race with various subraces and factions in a world with more than just them? I really like the idea of Changelings, humans stolen from the world by Fae, forced into servitude, escaped their captors, changed by the journey back to the mortal realm, and now living in the mortal realm, feeding off strong emotions as their Fae captors did to them. I know of a couple sites where the idea is done a lot with a lot more people, but I think even with the small group we have now we can pull it off. I can put together a list or three of the various Subraces, Powers of each Subrace, Contracts, and Factions if people like this idea.

And before I'm asked, no, it's not based off a story, movie, or show. It's based off a system. A system is easily molded into what we want it to be.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:46 am

Hmm....interesting, though I don't see how that would fit into Kristie's preference for a political shadow war between factions. And really, that just sounds like the same thing but phrased differently. Why not just have two or three races with various "strains," for lack of a better term? Much more familiar, easier to figure out since the mythology is already there to work from, and it gives people more choice as to the roles they want to play. I mean, if you really wanted to file it down to bare-bones-basic, you could have Humans, Nightwalkers and Shapeshifters as basic archetypes, then narrow it down within that. For Humans, you could have Norms or Hunters, with Nightwalkers you could have Nosferatu, Vampirs or Daystriders and for Shapeshifters....well, you get the idea. It doesn't have to be those three, obviously, but different species entirely offers more range for customisation and a greater diversity of strengths and weaknesses. With Fae, the strengths and weaknesses aren't exactly going to be diverse, but with three or four entirely different species, each with their own subsets, you will have a larger range of creatures to choose from, and it would lend itself better to the whole "Factions Vying For Control" that Kristie suggested.

Obviously to proceed, we need to agree on what will be the overarching plot. So...looking back over the discussions, it seems like we have several options:

A) A Shadow War between two or more factions in the modern day.
    2) A disparate group of survivors of something (as yet undetermined) hiding in the modern day (factions may surface later in the RP).
    D) Unique individuals who are looking to survive in a world ignorant of their existence, but they have their abilities through a variety of circumstances (a subtle but important difference to the one above).

It looks like we've all agreed on Urban Fantasy, at least (or at least the majority of us have), so the only question is....which of the above three do people most like the sounds of? Are there any more suggestions to add to the list? Once we know which one we're doing, we can start to fill out the details that best fit the setting. Personally, I vote for A). It just seems like it could be more interesting, with more room for RP Hooks....and a convenient excuse for our characters to at least already know of each others existence. Heh. What about you guys?
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:30 am

Way I was thinking encompassed all three. I'll explain in greater detail when I'm not on a phone, which'll likely be in around an hour and a half.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:07 am

I'm not sure how you would do that. I mean, yeah there would be people not involved in the factions shadow war, but if these guys are all survivors of something, you would imagine some kind of camaraderie from having escaped together....they're not gonna get far on their own, after all. I suppose one way you could do it is having the Fae trying to get the humans back, but....well, I'm not convinced. Seems like there would be several big problems with it.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:28 am

"Changelings, also known as the Lost, are humans who were abducted by the Fae. They were ordinary humans who attracted the interest of one of the True Fae, the alien beings who live in Arcadia on the other side of the Hedge that separates the two worlds. Abducted and treated as slaves, playthings, pets or ornaments, they were replaced on Earth by a Fetch, a simulacrum created from Faerie glamour and scraps. Unlike most who suffer this fate, the Lost have managed to find their way back through the Hedge to the mortal world, but their time in the Faerie realm (Arcadia) has irrevocably changed their bodies, minds and souls. A Changeling's true, inhuman mien is hidden by the Mask, the aspect of Fae magic that makes Faerie creatures and artefacts seem mundane to mortal eyes, but very few Changelings are able to reclaim their old lives, or make entirely new ones, without retaining ties to the fae realm. They are no longer human, and they can never truly belong to humanity again. Instead they must exist in societies of their own, trying to balance their humanity against the inescapable truth that they are now partially creatures of Glamour like their once masters.

The Fae long ago used their Glamour to create the Mask, a magical veil that makes anything touched by Faerie appear mundane to human eyes, and this extends to Changelings as well: they appear human, and indeed look much as they did, though older (depending on how long they spent in Arcadia). But a mask is all it is; underneath it, a Changeling's true mien is something from a story. They may be anything from an impossibly beautiful figure with a narrow face and pointed ears to a towering brute made of living stone; the demands and whim of their Keeper has shaped them to fulfil whatever role they required. While each Changeling is unique, there are basic similarities in their experiences which have shaped them in similar ways. These "types" of Changeling are called Seemings, and there are six commonly recognised: Beasts, Darklings, Elementals, The Fairest, Ogres, and The Wizened. Each Seeming is further divided into Kiths, subcategories which are even more alike. For example, all Beasts are bestial in some way, but those who have an affinity for the hunt share more in common, and belong to the Hunterheart Kith.

Changelings have formed societies of their own; no others can truly understand their lot, after all. More than comfort, though, their social groupings grant safety from the Fae. The Changeling Courts are associated with powerful concepts which grant their members powers and abilities and some measure of protection from their former masters. In Europe and the rest of the Western world, these Courts are most commonly based on the seasons, each one associated with an emotion which represents a powerful tie between mortals and the Fae. Summer deals in Wrath, Autumn in Fear, Winter in Sorrow, and Spring in Desire. Not every changeling joins one of the Courts. Reasons vary, but most of them have some connection to the fact that each Court has its own specific method of avoiding recapture by the Fae and a special connection to a specific emotion. Not all changelings can associate themselves with a modus operandi the way they perceive the Courts as demanding. Or maybe they don't feel a real tie to any of the four emotions supported by the Courts. Sometimes the worst conflicts come when a refugee fits in with one Court's methods but another's ruling emotion -- individuals who can't reconcile the two may bounce from one Court to the other a couple times before ending up Courtless. Some changelings who eschew the Courts do so not because they wouldn't fit, but because something about the Courts is distasteful to them. Maybe the concept is too near a Faerie Court for a new refugee to contemplate (though she may join a Court after several years). A changeling might be politically or philosophically opposed to governing bodies in general. He simply does not get along with people telling him what to do and how to do it, or social groups have always meant trouble for him. Maybe the Courts look too disingenuous or too internecine."

The Shadow War part is the True Fae trying to get their toys back from the mortal realm and the Changelings fighting back. The Courts don't really fight so much as disagree on many aspects. They also change who leads the Freehold, which is what they call wherever they're living, based on the season. That said, there is generally a bit of political fighting within the Courts themselves. The usual scandals and such, y'know.

Last edited by Zalgo the Imminent on Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor fix. All good now.)
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:36 pm

Hmm...the premise seems interesting, but I'm not convinced on the Fae angle. It seems too restrictive in certain places, since I for one would like a variety in how the species hide and interact with the world around them. Everybody would effectively be the same species, even with the differences in appearance and abilities, and it would also be very difficult to come up with restrictions on powers or balances. It also seems kinda....I dunno. I've definitely seen this idea in books and TV, but that doesn't mean that this is based on it. It also restricts the weaknesses that these creatures have to the same general ones, which is missing the point of having different species. As I said; interesting, but I'm not convinced.

Besides, I would rather build it from the ground up so everybody has their ideas pitched in. I really don't want to rehash an RP that has been done before - and that write up obviously has been pre-made - since then people won't feel as invested in it, and it feels lazy just using something that somebody already came up with. I, at least, would rather everybody pitched in and we created something that was unique to us in some way. I think it would be best if we built it from the ground up, everybody contributing, so everybody is invested in it. Of course, if everybody else wants to play that ^ then I would think about changing my stance.

What does everybody else think?
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:14 pm

Honestly... I think it's too complicated. I don't want to be tied down and have to create a character around a predetermined species.  I guess what im trying to say is I like a little wiggle room. There seems to be a lot of lore and rules in general to go by. I am much more in favor of something more simple. I understand the disconnection if all of our characters by having different species, but like the "strains" suggestion. Where we have at least a little bit of room.

I feel like I'm rambling now. BLAH
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:11 pm

I'm sorry to report that my contribution won’t be the least bit helpful. Because I have no idea on where I stand with this idea. I am all for doing something that is different than what’s been done before – I’d like to drift away from our comfort zones in RP and get into something new. Which I think is what Zalgo has proposed here, however I don’t know how thrilled I am about this one in particular. It’s just not sparking it for me, I’d like to see a bit more freedom in who we are. Not that there isn’t a lot to choose from with Changelings, I just don’t know if it’s something I personally would have fun playing. I don't know for sure, because I've never done it before. I agree with Faith that some more wiggle room would be nice, but again Im not going to be heart broken if there isn't. I adapt to what's put in front of me.

That being said, let’s try and avoid the whole ‘Vamps Mages Werewolves Changelines, etc” just “don’t like each other” so let’s raise some hell (not that we’d be using these^ obviously, just an example). I’d like to see peace as well as war, a balance that gets disturbed and this is the chain reaction of cluster fucks that arises because of it. I guess that would be saying I'm for option A? If that makes sense. I'm not 100% at the moment.

As well, for starting something from complete scratch – we’re going to be here for a week before something gets decided. The problem with the bottom up with so many voices is the lack of decision making. If one person isn’t happy – it’s start over again. Taking something that has been prewritten and simply moulding it to better fit what we want is something I don’t see a single problem with. I’ll say right of the bat that I am a player, not a writer. Not saying that we can’t still create something new, I just can’t see it going very productively. I’d like to have this started ASAP, before people begin to get fed up with the planning process.
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Oh gosh, there is so much to read!! But that's entirely my fault; I wasn't online to contribute earlier.

Personally, I like fantasy (especially lighter fantasy) and I don't mind present-day or scifi at all. I used to really not enjoy post-apocalyptic/zombie themes at all but since then I really got into things like The Walking Dead (comic and game, not TV Show) and Left for Dead 2 game and then watched a few zombie-base movies so I'm a lot more open to that now.

Medieval isn't my cup of tea, neither is anything related to wars (it's a personal thing). Of course, plot NEEDS conflict, but I'm uncomfortable with species or races at war with each other kinda deal. Like army war. Conflict is needed to make plot though. And as you all know, plots based on pre-written stories I dislike. The war thing throws quite a large spanner (ummm wrench) in the works and I feel bad making it difficult for you guys so if a plot contains some kind of war (just not fully based on it) and I like the plot, I'll put my emotions aside to make it more fun for everyone else.

I wish someone would include a "this happens in this plot idea." as well as a "once upon a time" explanation. Stories are fun to read but I'm tired and just wish someone would be like "Jade... Characters go into space. Each character has different job on ship. Ship breaks down. Characters need to not die. Do they fix ship or hijack passing ship like pirates? Explanation over." Instead of "Far in our Earth's future, a group of star cruisers called The Federation Unit had spent the past four years mining certain elements in intergalactic space. Onboard their ship: The Medallion, they came across....blah blah"

Sowwy...

Also I like the whole vamp/wolf/fae/witch/ect. but with a twist. Stray from the norm. Basically what Kri... Burn It said.

There are A and B options?
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Murdoch wrote:
    A) A Shadow War between two or more factions in the modern day.
    2) A disparate group of survivors of something (as yet undetermined) hiding in the modern day (factions may surface later in the RP).
    D) Unique individuals who are looking to survive in a world ignorant of their existence, but they have their abilities through a variety of circumstances (a subtle but important difference to the one above).

That's what she's referring to with the choices thingy. I think.
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:58 pm

I wish all roleplay plots came with basic single sentence (or you know... less than 100) explanations like that. Not being forced to read the intro story but given a basic plot outline encourages me to join the roleplay more.

I like the second two options. They appeal to me.
    Zalgo the Imminent
    Zalgo the Imminent
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN
    DON'T MAKE ME CALM DOWN

Post by Zalgo the Imminent Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:08 pm

I like to explain as much as I can so people don't get too confused. Course that just makes people more confused, it seems.

That said, I still like the idea of the second and first ones combining. A group of survivors hiding in modern times while forming factions, which of course will eventually start their own "shadow war" against the thing they survived.
    Burn It
    Burn It
    The Terminator
    The Terminator

Post by Burn It Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 pm

That ^ EXACTLY what you just said.
    Faith Wynters
    Faith Wynters
    The Cuppycakecreep
    The Cuppycakecreep

Post by Faith Wynters Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:26 pm

This is something so tra new/sorta me shy and if no one likes it then it's okay. It's just an idea. Please excuse any errors on my part. I'm typing this up on my phone.

How about something like...
    In modern day society creatures are not only unknown to the normal everyday citizen, but looked down upon by governmental figures (or the few that know ect). In order to keep their cultures alive and ensure their continued prosperity and reproduction without the negative re processions of negative human impact, creatures began to take part in an underground sort of fair. Something that started out being every weekend slowly evolved, after a few hundred years, into large extravagant places for trade and commerce around the clock. Creatures go to have a drink or trade or even work. They have also been home to illegal weapons dealing, slave trading, ect.

In the past few years trades have become somehow divided between different large and prosperous groups all specializing in procuring and selling all types of rarities. Of course there will be the obvious good, the obvious bad, but there are also those companies in between that sort of meld from one side to the other.

Most trade is political, with companies working things out legitimately, but loss in certain raw material or manufactured goods could lead to the cutthroat tactics of stealing or sabotage. In some cases, this might lead to battle.

That's really all I've gotten right now. Just a very basic little bit that popped into my head lol. As you can see a left a lot of details out for us to either decide on or create as we go along just depending.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:16 am