Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Please see the latest announcement regarding bringing Anonymatrix back to life!

+3
Eljordo
Alix Labe
Deamonata
7 posters

Minecraft Roleplay [OLD]

Deamonata
    Possum
    Possum

Location : The best country of them all UK!!!! (and the north of it so even better)

Minecraft Roleplay [OLD] - Page 2 Empty Minecraft Roleplay [OLD]

Post by Deamonata Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:47 am

First topic message reminder :

So yeah I thought it might be quite fun to do a roleplay on minecraft I don't really have any idea as to the roleplay ect, but I thought it might be good fun, so yeah is anyone interested?
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Minecraft Roleplay [OLD] - Page 2 Empty Re: Minecraft Roleplay [OLD]

Post by Murdoch Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:38 am

There are plenty of original ideas if you look around, Allen, and there are certainly more than just small town ones...but yeah, you contributed to getting rid of them in at least one site I know of...unfortunately, it's too late for regrets. D:
    But I agree with you that people don't seem to be willing to play weird ones...I've all but given up posting mine, since everybody just leaves anyway. D:
    Alix Labe
    Alix Labe
    The Toy Maker
    The Toy Maker

Post by Alix Labe Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:08 pm

i think one about runescape would probably easier to do and murdoch if you were to put one up i'd probably join it is just hard for me to post on a phone with 9 buttons and t9
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Location : An ever-changing crystal labyrinth in the depths of the realm of Chaos.

Post by Murdoch Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Oh no...people join, they just don't come back after a while. And I'm through with it. As soon as my sci fi one dies- and it will; it happens all the time- I am done. I will join, but I will no longer post. XD
    Allen
    Allen
    Admin's Pet
    Admin's Pet

Post by Allen Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:18 pm

It's because Murdoch created them like he's writing a book.

I do that too. It's just that not everyone wants to think of a Role-play as a long multi-authored book.

They'd rather have something to sink some time in, or be something they're not, or to achieve something they can't normally achieve. That is Role-playing after all.

We need a group of people, who would want to try something where it's like a multi-authored book. Honestly, one-on-ones are good for that, if they're done right. Otherwise, they're terribly bad. Emotions are a fine story conflict. But, mostly, they're used badly.

Maybe it's the genre or type of story I prefer too.

Nothing beats a good grey-vs-grey story. Where there is no good or evil, because in reality, there isn't. Everyone's a good mixture. Big epics like LOTR never really struck home to me, everything in that world was bent to this huge "good humans/elves/midgets" vs. evil orcs led by a DARK LORD."

Stuff like that people like. Because it's simple, easy to find someone to take an interest and support. Many characters in these fantasy stories have those almost childlike good and evil personnas. Whatever happened to good old gray morality? It's the way everything really is, despite what people would like, everyone has capacity to do bad things, like how everyone can do good things. No one is purely "good" no one. No one is "evil". They're almost meaningless words. They refer to acts, not a person.

But meh. My complaint is that when you have a good story oriented Role-play, people always want a good vs. evil story.

I hate that. But I'm also a cynical douchebag...
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:09 pm

I agree, to an extent. I agree that people want a good vs evil story, but in my opinion, the best bad guys are ones you identify with...the ones where you can see why they're doing what they're doing. You don't have to agree with them, but you can see their side...take Mr. Freeze from the DC universe, for instance; all he really wanted was to bring his wife back...and he kinda went a bit crazy after that. I get where he's coming from.
    I like Dr Horribles Sing Along Blog...the bad guy is the good guy and the good guy is the bad guy Very Happy As Doctor Horrible says, "Captain Hammer...Corporal Tool..." XD

Anyway. I know my RP's are a little long winded, but it's usually because I create an entire world...I can never go halves with it, unfortunately. It's why it's so frustrating...I put a lot of effort into them, y'know?
    But I enjoy a good Good Vs Evil story...just cause it's a GvE doesn't mean I can't think it's a good book. Although, my fav. book series is A Song Of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones), and that doesn't really have a good or evil...just nice people and nasty people and people people. Very Happy It's hinting at some apocalypse thing and there are the White Walkers, but the books thus far have just been focusing on how the humans can't put aside their petty differences and work together for once. Which is rather accurate, if I do say so myself.
    And my Fav. film has got to be Serenity...no evil there...everything has a reason. Though good old fashioned bastards are refreshing once in a while. My fav bad guy has to be Shakespeares Iago...you never do work out why that guy is such a dick...and I like him more than Othello. Othello's stupidity annoys me. XD
    Allen
    Allen
    Admin's Pet
    Admin's Pet

Post by Allen Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm

Serenity is more about corruption than anything else... Some people see corruption has evil. Meh, it's human nature.

Everyone likes an agreeable bad guy. But, I have a slight fear and like of the sociopath. Scarface is a good example. Everyone likes him, no idea why, he scares the shit out of me. Zero-to-kill instantly. The scene where he kills the man sitting next to him, while driving because he doesn't want to kill the whole family of the man he has to eliminate, really drives that point home. "NOONE FUCKS WITH ME." *Bam*, and then Tony proceeds to scream at the dead man, who's brains are leaking down the window. And, yet everyone likes him...

Because he didn't kill the kids? Because he's honest? Because he's Al Pachino? Who knows. But everyone likes a bad guy.

Role-plays typical have people trying t be bad guys. But they don't know what makes a bad guy likeable. The sociopath killer can be used very well, as with the "bad guy" or villain, who can be sympathized with. Dr. Frost is a good example, because while his motives start out good, he snaps along the way.

Same with New Vegas's Caesar, who's Legion is fighting to unite the tribes and work together to create a new civilization equipped to face the trials of the new world. Where NCR's old government killed itself with infighting, the military like society of the original Caesar's Rome turned every group it conquered into Samaritans (to an extent), where they all were devoted to Rome, "Pax per Romana", and more importantly for the Caesar of Vegas, "Pax per Bellum" - peace through war. He's an excellent example of the man prepared to do evil to win a chance to create a world that can survive.

Role-plays that focus on big issues, or have some war-like storyline need to focus on the motive as much as the means of the action. It helps develop the world, or the storyline of the characters to talk about what these factions are, and why the people are with them. Using Caesar's Legion again, many are brainwashed to into believing Caesar is the son of Mars, but many more follow Caesar because they see him as the only way. People from Legion territory see safer lands, where raiders are dealt with quickly and harshly. Yet, in the Wasteland, people fear Caesar because his Legion is prepared to do bad things if you resist, if you refuse to become part of Rome.

Again, an entire world can be created just by thinking about one faction. It's why I like the idea of the Role-plays you make Murdoch. They're in depth, usually well thought out.

Too bad not many people like trying to get involved in them.

Last edited by Allen on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Allen
    Allen
    Admin's Pet
    Admin's Pet

Post by Allen Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:34 pm

Another idea... For those of us who want to write a good epic Role-play...

Why not use an enemy that no one can understand. Use an Old God. Nothing makes the blood pump or the fear start like thinking about an ancient being capable of destroying everything, where it is impossible to understand, and impossible to defeat. Always there, and yet never there. Where even it's slightest movements sends ripples through the core of the Earth, shattering land, sinking cities and dooming millions. Anything that makes a literal play on the Revelation's Dragon or the Leviathan, one of the cardinal demons... Those are always good.

I'd love to see a Role-play inspired by Lovecraftian Lore, or Hell, just with Demon's Souls "Old One", the origin of everything, who is stimulated by the use of souls of magic enough to reawaken it.

Meh, maybe I will post up that Dark Souls Role-play. Everybody loves an impartial Old God.

Either way. I stand by the weird Minecraft idea being interesting. Odd ideas help people get the creative juices flowing.
    Jade Hawk
    Jade Hawk
    Founder
    Founder

Post by Jade Hawk Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:06 am

I know I should reply if I didn't read it all, but it's really long and I'm tired...

I like roleplaying in what you were describing as novel writing. I also agree that emotions, although very important to pull a reader into a story, and other writers into the roleplay in question, the story shouldn't revolve around them.

I don't mind the age-old good vs. bad, but I love it when characters bios purposefully confuse the two. Is the bad guy really doing something so bad in the long run? If the good guy taking this the best way he could? If he a hero or just lucky? Is the bad guy really evil, or just the antagonist? Having grey vs. grey is good two, but I find generally needs a kicker. Allen is right though, there isn't really good vs. bad in the real world. But it doesn't always need to be real (although sometimes it does, it depends on the roleplay). I like bad vs. bad. Good vs. good is dull.

I roleplay with a lot of emotional plot lines and generic good vs. bad because it is usually what the poster is aiming for, and I like to please them. I'm pretty flexible, but you can tell when I'm super into a roleplay and giving it my all because the base of the roleplay is more complex than "good vs. bad with relationships flying everywhere". Also when I know a lot about the topic.

When the players have freedom and are not hammered down in the dirt by a "leader", I like that too. Otherwise I lose interest. Different genres have different areas of danger when it comes to what is "right" and "wrong" in what you write about.
    Murdoch
    Murdoch
    The Architect of Fate
    The Architect of Fate

Post by Murdoch Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:08 am

Oh, Serenity is about corruption, no doubt...but it's believable. It really does drive home that some people are willing to do absolutely everything necessary to maintain power...and besides; the Alliance isn't evil, they're just...misguided. In fact, in some ways, you can view the crew of the Serenity as the bad guys, from the other side of the coin; The Alliance is trying to make a peaceful universe, and smugglers like Mal are promoting crime and the Black Market. That was highlighted excellently in the episode of Firefly "The Train Job" where they were hired to steal some medicine, only to find out that the medicine was part of a relief package that was on its was to some sick townspeople. Very Happy

I'm guilty of that sometimes, though...I try to be a bad guy, but fail utterly. Or at least, I did...I've gotten better at it Very Happy It's why I generally tend to go for Chaotic Neutral character...they do what they want, when they want...they could go either way. They generally work on a "What do I get" vs "Will I get caught" basis, and that shapes a lot of their actions. I just play that type of character better, I suppose...or, at the very least, Chaotic Good or Lawful Evil. Either one. Very Happy

I have to admit, I've never seen Scarface...I mean to, though Very Happy
    And Although I didn't play Fallout much, I have to agree about The Legion. You can see it from their point of view, but then you have to think about whether they have the right to force it on people, and does the good outweigh the bad, blah blah blah... Very Happy
    And thank you, Allen Very Happy I do put a lot of effort into them. Usually I think "Ok, what's the world gonna be like? Futuristic, Modern, Modern with changes, or medieval?" Once I have that, then I start thinking about the different countries and factions one by one, their motives and ruling structures, their basic history- it gives me a guideline in case I think of anything later on, and also gives the other players a hole to add snippits in, as long as they check first- and then start thinking "How would they react to each other? How would they deal with each other? What would they do?" And sometimes, I just add things in to be ironic. XD

That certainly is interesting though, Allen, but I have to say that the problem it has is that with that, the bad guy is not someone you can identify with...that's the problem they have with Superman and why he isn't that popular (I know he's well known, but the people I know don't think much of him). Any series that has a bad guy like that have "mini-bosses," if you will, that you can identify with, to make up for it. Very Happy But, if done right, it could certainly be a good RP Very Happy
    Allen, what about an RP set in a world where combat is done like a boardgame, like Warhammer or Fire Emblem or something? So there are turns, movement scores, leadership bonuses etc etc, and the inhabitants take it as a matter of course? That could be interesting. XD

Yep, Jade...that's why I like leaving it open. I know in my RP's I usually end up taking charge, simply because everyone is terrified of mucking it up XD I wish more people would take charge, though...but at the same time be a democracy, kind of...so a leader who listens to everyone but can still say "No, we're doing this," otherwise you'd never get anywhere.
    I think it's good that I can't play bad guys, though...I would be dangerously Genre-Savvy Very Happy

I do try and keep the basis foggy...in my RP's, there isn't good or evil, just points of view Very Happy One side might seem righter than the other to some, and vice versa. Matter of opinion. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:37 am